Cornwall Center with Klipsch La Scala mains

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I found the number stamped under the formica. Like my LS's, Klipsch stamped it in the wood on top on the earlier models. It is a 1979. Glad to have that ironed out. Serial number is 21T528. I'd like to have the sticker, but if it's there, it is likely a goner. I was glad that that was so easy to find.
So, this is what it is supposed to look like.

I have a good supply of grill cloth that looks like that on hand.

Do you intend to re-veneer the enclosures, or just the front and try and refinish the rest? I have a two stage air compressor and good air tools, that are much more potent than the electrical equivalents. I can throw open the outside doors on the workshop later in the year when the weather warms up so the shop does not fill with dust. I don't have the 1200 sq.ft, shop I had at our lake home. The current one is a small shop, but has a drill press, welder, plasma cutter etc, and a well stocked tool chest

Those pictures were taken during construction.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai

Do you intend to re-veneer the enclosures, or just the front and try and refinish the rest? I have a two stage air compressor and good air tools, that are much more potent than the electrical equivalents. I can throw open the outside doors on the workshop later in the year when the weather warms up so the shop does not fill with dust. I don't have the 1200 sq.ft, shop I had at our lake home. The current one is a small shop, but has a drill press, welder, plasma cutter etc, and a well stocked tool chest

What do those speakers weigh each I couldn’t carry those lol :D Must throw up a wall of a sound even just 2.
Wow spectacular is that an air pressurizer? Last pic ?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

What do those speakers weigh each I couldn’t carry those lol :D Must throw up a wall of a sound even just 2.
Wow spectacular is that an air pressurizer? Last pic ?
Those are not my speakers. They are pictures of 1979 Klipsch Cornwalls, I grabbed from the net.

These are my speakers, the mains are 350 lb. each. So you would not lift those. I design and build my own speakers.

Yes, the other picture you are referring to is a two stage (Twin cylinder) air compressor.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Those are not my speakers. They are pictures of 1979 Klipsch Cornwalls, I grabbed from the net.

These are my speakers, the mains are 350 lb. each. So you would not lift those. I design and build my own speakers.

Yes, the other picture you are referring to is a two stage (Twin cylinder) air compressor.
oh that’s why you said this is what they should look like ??

Wow yeah I’ve seen your set up I just keep forgetting lol. I couldn’t build speakers that way above my head , awesome set up !
my 2 fronts are Klipsch icon towers duel 6.5” so my woofers are probably smaller then your midranges !! :D
awesome theater room, hope someday I can afford one . For now living room 4-5ch is best I can do.

My set up is budget bottom lol although sounds pretty decent probably a few grand for speakers as good as icons today. Or at least jbl 5 series , Klipsch discontinued my horn compression drivers . Saddening my second set up could had used some.

Last edited:
Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General

Thanks for that info. I'll use those 1979 CW photos for reference. I watched parts of two or three YT videos on veneering speakers. I now do not think I have the tools, space or woodworking skills to do it right. So the plan now (but it could change) is to strip the formica off, fix some minor issues with wood filler, sand it, then probably paint it. Especially if I use some filler on about nine screw holes and likely a few other issues. I am not opposed to painting it. I would consider staining, but not with the filler. I just hope that: A. the formica comes off without too much trouble and - B. that the adhesive sands off effectively. Why in the heck are there screw holes in the cab!?? ha.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
The veneer is coming off so easy with a space heater. Sides and top done, now just back, trim and pedestal. Adhesive is not too heinous. I think it will clean up nicely once I get it outside this spring. When I'm completely done with the exterior, I'll fix it up inside. Clean up the 44 year old dust, new wiring and probably new damping material. I am thinking of finding paint that matches somewhat to my mains, otherwise, the old standard matte black is an option. If I can find a color, I think something like this for grill cloth: https://www.midwestspeakerrepair.com/shop/speaker-cloth-foam/grille-cloth/designer-architect-cloth/gc-130-light-beige-speaker-cloth/
That color might not go with matte black speakers though. Or would it? What do you think?
Also plan on banana jacks. If this this was still all original with the sticker, etc, I might've considered keeping it original including the terminals. But in this case I do not mind doing these improvements to it. I do have the grill, but it is a mess, so I tossed it in the shed for now.
Btw, thanks to TLS Guy for stopping over and testing my speakers, which prompted me to change my center speaker. Less than 24 hours after he left, I was driving home with this monster.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

The veneer is coming off so easy with a space heater. Sides and top done, now just back, trim and pedestal. Adhesive is not too heinous. I think it will clean up nicely once I get it outside this spring. When I'm completely done with the exterior, I'll fix it up inside. Clean up the 44 year old dust, new wiring and probably new damping material. I am thinking of finding paint that matches somewhat to my mains, otherwise, the old standard matte black is an option. If I can find a color, I think something like this for grill cloth: https://www.midwestspeakerrepair.com/shop/speaker-cloth-foam/grille-cloth/designer-architect-cloth/gc-130-light-beige-speaker-cloth/
That color might not go with matte black speakers though. Or would it? What do you think?
Also plan on banana jacks. If this this was still all original with the sticker, etc, I might've considered keeping it original including the terminals. But in this case I do not mind doing these improvements to it. I do have the grill, but it is a mess, so I tossed it in the shed for now.
Btw, thanks to TLS Guy for stopping over and testing my speakers, which prompted me to change my center speaker. Less than 24 hours after he left, I was driving home with this monster.
I would veneer them, it is not that difficult. I would leave the damping material alone. Leave them alone until the summer and then we can sand them smooth and veneer them with impact adhesive. Do not paint them.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I would veneer them, it is not that difficult. I would leave the damping material alone. Leave them alone until the summer and then we can sand them smooth and veneer them with impact adhesive. Do not paint them.
Well, that is great! I appreciate your offer to help me with this project. I will not paint it and we can touch base later on. Thanks!

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Might not seem significant to some folks, but I wanted the sticker. I was able to salvage it! It was on the formica as I pulled it off the back. Then I applied some Goo Gone and Bob's your uncle. I imagine I will re-attach it one way or another to the back later on.

Attachments

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Might not seem significant to some folks, but I wanted the sticker. I was able to salvage it! It was on the formica as I pulled it off the back. Then I applied some Goo Gone and Bob's your uncle. I imagine I will re-attach it one way or another to the back later on.
Hmm that’s cool yeah I got some cool stickers I placed on the back of my sub but I doubt I can remove Them and reused them , is this possible ?

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Interesting. I just learned that C-BR means "Cornwall Birch Raw".

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Amazing looking speaker is that’s a flat woofer? My speakers only have bland black mdf finish … :(
It is one of the legendary KEF B 139 woofers. It is one of the finest woofers ever. It was designed by Raymond Cooke founder of KEF. The KEF works was 15 miles up the river Medway at Tovil Kent, from where I grew up.
Falcon Acoustics have started manufacturing them again, as patents are well passed. The KEF B 139 driver dates from the early sixties.

The speaker I showed you was my version of what Raymond would possibly have designed had he lived longer. As I nod to him I incorporated his impedance correction techniques in the crossover. In the tube era that was important as tubes amps have a high output impedance and tend to follow the impedance curve.

Anyhow, I call those my Raymond E. Cooke Memorial speakers.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
There are two screws fastening the terminals to the back. Those screws are also the conductors connecting the terminals to the input lead. I can do better. I questioned whether 44 year old screws would be the best situation for that. I could clean them up with a wire brush, etc, but I planned on banana jacks anyway. I ordered a pair that will accommodate 3/4 inch plywood. Oh, and it is not dusty inside. Actually quite clean.

Attachments

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Are these fork terminals from Menards good for high end sound? I have a ratcheting crimper. I know how to do that. Just wondering if this is correct for when I put in the new 14 ga. OFC wiring. I will use red/blue heat shrink on the fork terminals for color coding. Cover up that blue!

Attachments

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Are these fork terminals from Menards good for high end sound? I have a ratcheting crimper. I know how to do that. Just wondering if this is correct for when I put in the new 14 ga. OFC wiring. I will use red/blue heat shrink on the fork terminals for color coding. Cover up that blue!
That is about the lowest quality terminal you could get.

Install something like this.

That will take bare wire or banana plugs.

Last edited:
Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General

The fork terminals are for the crossover. I'll need eight.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General

These are the Dayton Audio jacks I ordered. I like the ring terminal. I plan on soldering my lead to those. The picture has them wrong though. I'll put the ring terminal between the nuts.

Attachments

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis