Svs soundpath vs Vibrapod isolators (Subwoofer)

fabiocz

fabiocz

Audioholic
What’s your usage?
To subwoofer.

The doubt arises due to much people dont have space for a ported (My case), so I thought instead of using the subwoofer vertically, put it horizontally and use vibrapod to decouple.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
It’s been a while since I checked out the vibrapods… I would look carefully if there are any weight limitations. If I recall correctly, they are intended to be used in conjunction
Beyond that, the big question is why do you think you need isolation? (Don’t worry, I’m not trying to trick you… but the question stands.) :)

I do have some of the Soundpath Feet and they do work well, but I use them in conjunction with a platform which is coupled to the floor, then the feet to decouple the sub from the platform.
Mind, this strategy works, but only against physical transference of energy through the cabinet to the structure of your home. It will not stop soundwaves from wreaking their havoc!

fabiocz

fabiocz

Audioholic
It’s been a while since I checked out the vibrapods… I would look carefully if there are any weight limitations. If I recall correctly, they are intended to be used in conjunction
Beyond that, the big question is why do you think you need isolation? (Don’t worry, I’m not trying to trick you… but the question stands.) :)

I do have some of the Soundpath Feet and they do work well, but I use them in conjunction with a platform which is coupled to the floor, then the feet to decouple the sub from the platform.
Mind, this strategy works, but only against physical transference of energy through the cabinet to the structure of your home. It will not stop soundwaves from wreaking their havoc!
Yes there are several models of vibrapods that vary depending on the weight of the product.

Insulation, in my case ( svs soundpath ) greatly improved the sound quality due to the fact that not all the furniture was vibrating more.

The big question that remains in the air is: which of these 2 products do better if put to the measurement test with rew or some other means of measuring the ability to not transfer waves to furniture ?

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
OK... I'm back home from my appointment.
Here's the kicker, @fabiocz , you are dealing with two different energies, and whether or not you can tame them.
Spoiler: You Cannot. Hedge: do so, completely. ;)

I mentioned above: just short of turning your Sub down, you will never be able to stop the Wave Fronts... the Acoustic Energy generated by the Driver... from vibrating things. NEVER.
There is, and I believe this even if refuted by others, a physical transference of energy conducted from cabinet to structure, even in the most well built cabinet. Depending on your structure and other such issues, this energy can affect the space you are in, i.e. create rattles or other structural vibrations.
For me, where I live has suspended wood flooring, and when built, I assume the landlord cut corners by either using a more widely spaced floor joist or thinner floorboard than is normally used. My room is effectively a wooden trampoline. When I walk across the floor, things move, no matter how light my step. My Subwoofers did rattle things, and this persisted largely, to some degree or another, until I finished a Coupling/Decoupling system.

Most will say carpet decouples, but to what extent? (Not much!)
Rubber feet (standard equipped) are supposed to help, but again, to what extent? (Still not much.)
Spikes couple, they do not decouple as is often advertised... they are meant to penetrate carpet and sit directly on the floorboard. (Using spikes on hard flooring, with discs, is pointless to a large extent, as they still act as a coupling mechanism (which is great for leveling, anchoring; not so much for dampening vibrations.)
The way I came to really understand things is that the balance of coupling and decoupling is necessary to achieve the best isolation. A solid pad with vibration dampening properties (think Maple Amp Stands (thick cutting boards) or Granite Slabs coupled directly to the floor) gives you this foundation. Spikes by themselves will still transmit energy, but by combining them with a material that naturally dampens that energy, you gain an edge. Then, you decouple on top of that.
For me this is a spiked concrete platform driven through my carpet to the floorboard, leveled, then my bass cabinets with Soundpath feet placed on top.
I would say I conservatively eliminated about 85% of the transferred physical energy as opposed to just using any one component on their own. Most of the rattles and vibration I would feel went away... not all, but most.
Yet strong LF content will break this isolation, not because of conductive energy, but because of the acoustic energy... the wavefront coming from the driver.

All of this is a prelude to asking you to really consider what your situation is. IMO, the Soundpath feet are a really good, if slightly overpriced, product. Those squidgy fcukers do wonders! :) But you cannot expect them to do everything!
That said, I do not believe at all that the vibrapods can do better. Frankly, I would expect them to be less effective than the Soundpath feet for the simple reason as they do not have the mass to do what the Soundpath feet have demonstrated to be capable of.
Now, I find myself needing to (potentially) disabuse you of what I consider to be a pure BS marketing claim: None of these products will make your Bass performance "tighter" or whatnot, if that is what you are hoping for. Keep in mind, the Bass Cabinet (consisting of at least one Woofer and an enclosure is a complex system onto itself, and the interaction of the Driver in that Cabinet is not going to be affected by a set of feet. The Sub will either have good performance or not.
All these products aim to do (realistically) is prevent conductive physical energy from transferring from Cabinet to Structure.
If you have a poorly designed Sub that outputs a distorted signal, the distortions in the wavefronts will still cause problems. If you have a very clean and linear Sub that is capable of producing infrasonic frequencies, you will still have vibrations carried through the wavefronts themselves.

I hope this all makes sense to you. :)

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
I am a proponent of decoupling all speakers from the structure as much as can be done all 4 of my towers are on 4 inch boxes filled with sand to me if serves two things one for the decoupling and to raise the tweeters and mids up to ear level for the subs they sit on 80 lb sand boxes with similar vibration damping feet there about 6 inches high then my SVS subs set on those with there sound path feet you can touch these boxes when playing at high levels and not feel any vibration being transferred down threw the to the floor.
Can I prove this helps maybe , if I could measure , does it tighten up the bass I’d have to say yes and it does tighten up the image of the towers . This is after having everything spiked to our old flooring that was thick carpet. We changed flooring few years back to vinyl laminate with a sound absorbing layer sandwiched between the sub floor and the new laminate, took the spikes off everything that touched the new flooring cause the wife wasn’t going to have that . So I had to go another route sound path feet and sandbox’s worked in combination with each other to kill any vibration that was or could have been transferred downward. I’ve seen granite slabs used in the same manner for this too or concrete slabs all with sound absorbing feet to the same effect.

fabiocz

fabiocz

Audioholic
OK... I'm back home from my appointment.
Here's the kicker, @fabiocz , you are dealing with two different energies, and whether or not you can tame them.
Spoiler: You Cannot. Hedge: do so, completely. ;)

I mentioned above: just short of turning your Sub down, you will never be able to stop the Wave Fronts... the Acoustic Energy generated by the Driver... from vibrating things. NEVER.
There is, and I believe this even if refuted by others, a physical transference of energy conducted from cabinet to structure, even in the most well built cabinet. Depending on your structure and other such issues, this energy can affect the space you are in, i.e. create rattles or other structural vibrations.
For me, where I live has suspended wood flooring, and when built, I assume the landlord cut corners by either using a more widely spaced floor joist or thinner floorboard than is normally used. My room is effectively a wooden trampoline. When I walk across the floor, things move, no matter how light my step. My Subwoofers did rattle things, and this persisted largely, to some degree or another, until I finished a Coupling/Decoupling system.

Most will say carpet decouples, but to what extent? (Not much!)
Rubber feet (standard equipped) are supposed to help, but again, to what extent? (Still not much.)
Spikes couple, they do not decouple as is often advertised... they are meant to penetrate carpet and sit directly on the floorboard. (Using spikes on hard flooring, with discs, is pointless to a large extent, as they still act as a coupling mechanism (which is great for leveling, anchoring; not so much for dampening vibrations.)
The way I came to really understand things is that the balance of coupling and decoupling is necessary to achieve the best isolation. A solid pad with vibration dampening properties (think Maple Amp Stands (thick cutting boards) or Granite Slabs coupled directly to the floor) gives you this foundation. Spikes by themselves will still transmit energy, but by combining them with a material that naturally dampens that energy, you gain an edge. Then, you decouple on top of that.
For me this is a spiked concrete platform driven through my carpet to the floorboard, leveled, then my bass cabinets with Soundpath feet placed on top.
I would say I conservatively eliminated about 85% of the transferred physical energy as opposed to just using any one component on their own. Most of the rattles and vibration I would feel went away... not all, but most.
Yet strong LF content will break this isolation, not because of conductive energy, but because of the acoustic energy... the wavefront coming from the driver.
All of this is a prelude to asking you to really consider what your situation is. IMO, the Soundpath feet are a really good, if slightly overpriced, product. Those squidgy fcukers do wonders! :) But you cannot expect them to do everything!
That said, I do not believe at all that the vibrapods can do better. Frankly, I would expect them to be less effective than the Soundpath feet for the simple reason as they do not have the mass to do what the Soundpath feet have demonstrated to be capable of.
Now, I find myself needing to (potentially) disabuse you of what I consider to be a pure BS marketing claim: None of these products will make your Bass performance "tighter" or whatnot, if that is what you are hoping for. Keep in mind, the Bass Cabinet (consisting of at least one Woofer and an enclosure is a complex system onto itself, and the interaction of the Driver in that Cabinet is not going to be affected by a set of feet. The Sub will either have good performance or not.
All these products aim to do (realistically) is prevent conductive physical energy from transferring from Cabinet to Structure.
If you have a poorly designed Sub that outputs a distorted signal, the distortions in the wavefronts will still cause problems. If you have a very clean and linear Sub that is capable of producing infrasonic frequencies, you will still have vibrations carried through the wavefronts themselves.
I hope this all makes sense to you. :)
Thanks for the big big big feedback hahahahah

You're right, I have the svs soundpath and they do a great job.

People use auralex too.

I am a proponent of decoupling all speakers from the structure as much as can be done all 4 of my towers are on 4 inch boxes filled with sand to me if serves two things one for the decoupling and to raise the tweeters and mids up to ear level for the subs they sit on 80 lb sand boxes with similar vibration damping feet there about 6 inches high then my SVS subs set on those with there sound path feet you can touch these boxes when playing at high levels and not feel any vibration being transferred down threw the to the floor.
Can I prove this helps maybe , if I could measure , does it tighten up the bass I’d have to say yes and it does tighten up the image of the towers . This is after having everything spiked to our old flooring that was thick carpet. We changed flooring few years back to vinyl laminate with a sound absorbing layer sandwiched between the sub floor and the new laminate, took the spikes off everything that touched the new flooring cause the wife wasn’t going to have that . So I had to go another route sound path feet and sandbox’s worked in combination with each other to kill any vibration that was or could have been transferred downward. I’ve seen granite slabs used in the same manner for this too or concrete slabs all with sound absorbing feet to the same effect.
I had this same perception of you, that the bass was cleaner due to the lack of vibrations from the objects.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Personally I'd think the bigger effect on bass by changing a speaker's height might be attributed to how a room node might be affected....or just plain ol' placebo. I'd love to see some measurements bearing out the changes. I think the whole coupling/decoupling this is overstated in audiophilia....but I don't have your floors : )

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I think the whole coupling/decoupling this is overstated in audiophilia.
This I agree with, because the argument is misrepresented... as I've stated for over two years.
And I agree that changing height can dramatically alter the acoustic interaction with the room.

I'd love to see some measurements bearing out the changes.
Count me in.
All I know is I really haven't changed any levels, I play loud... perhaps the Lady has just accepted some of it, but she started complaining less once I got everything finished. Usually the complaints I hear now are from the times the bass itself overwhelms the room/house. ...And it does!

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
Our new flooring floats it’s not secured down and caused a lot of weird vibration on top of the sub floor even with an acoustic layer between them I battled with this for weeks to figure out what to do . I tried isolation feet alone but at certain low frequency’s stuff would still rattle at what frequency I have no idea but 80lbs of sand in oak boxes and more isolation feet stopped it all even with the new subs that go real deep.
I’ve run frequency sweeps from test cd’s to try and see if I can make vibrations in the room and this approach has tamed it down to nothing you can here . This might have been extreme way to do it but it did tighten up the low end . I’d like to know at what frequency’s caused the vibration I do know it was below 35 hz .

R

rotax

Audiophyte
After 18 years with my Velodyne DD-15, I recently put Soundpath feet on. All I can say is wow! I re-equalized the speaker to the room with the feet and the displayed graph of the speaker's built in equalizer function is much flatter on the very low frequencies (even before re-tuning) and has practically eliminated standing waves I felt in certain corners. I suppose that may not be technically accurate as all the feet have done is removed physically transferred energy and I'm not sure if that is considered a contributor to standing waves.... but I digress. It's like the new sub that I always wanted to fill in the upper range while keeping the low end. The very low end sounds much more accurate and is now much more consistent with the loudness levels of the overall volume, whereas before the low end would jump out at you almost unexpectedly and rattle things. This I feel leads to making the upper frequencies more distinguishable and largely adding to the perception of overall tighter bass.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis