SVS SoundPath Allows Audiophiles to Cut the Cord

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
We’ve seen our share of wireless adaptors through the years, but like upfiring Atmos speakers, some of them get the job done but we usually only recommend them when you can't use the real thing. Knowing the engineers at SVS though they’ve probably upped the ante on these wireless adapters to do wireless sound without compromise. Get the details to see if it's time to cut the cord once and for all.

SoundPath3.jpg

Read: SVS SoundPath Wireless Adapter

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
We’ll see. There seems to be no end to manufacturers trying to do wireless on the cheap. Most systems can’t get more than about a 65% user approval rating from sites like Amazon (combined 4-5 star reviews). Dig into the 1-star reviews and you’ll find that the #1 complaint relates to instability of the wireless delivery.

The SVS system jumps at me with a few of the problems common to such systems, one being what I call “mystery audio specs.” Frequency response is good, but what about THD? S/N ratio? Residual noise is a persistent problem with wireless. Then of course, they chose to go with the crowded 2.4GHz band. This means you can have interference or even drop-outs caused by other devices in your house, or maybe even your neighbor’s house, if it’s close enough to you.

If Sonos or the pro-audio field is any indication (where they’ve been doing wireless for over 30 years and have it down to a science), rock-solid wireless stability does not come cheap. A stereo transmiter/receiver system from Shure or Sennheiser costs between $5-700. And SVS thinks they can give us a reliable system for a mere $90?
Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
yeah, 2.4Ghz band also jumped at me as an unusual choice or in straight talk - really bad engineering choice.
typically sub is located in the same room as receiver or pre-pro. They should made it run much higher frequency

C

cardsdoc

Enthusiast
Unless SVS has updated the internals, this otherwise appears to be a re-branded first gen Dayton wireless unit which they discontinued in favor of their second gen unit. See link below. SVS had been selling the Dayton branded units until this SVS branded one. The Dayton units, particularly the first gen unit, get mostly good reviews and many users with REW report no loss of extension but it just comes down to one's 2.4Ghz wireless environment on how well it works. Personally I've had a little better luck with Outlaw's OWA4 unit compared with the second gen Dayton unit in regards to interference.

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-sub-link-xr-24-ghz-wireless-audio-transmitter-receiver-system-for-subwoofers--300-580

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis