SVS Satellite Mounting Question

M

Muzykant

Audioholic
Hello All,

I just purchased 5 SVS Prime Satellite speakers for my bedroom. As the space is tight, the only option for me is to wall mount them. However, these speakers are rear-ported and quite heavy at 7 pounds a piece.

I have two questions:

1. How far from the wall should these speakers be mounted to take advantage of the rear ports?

2. Could you recommend any brackets that would separate these from the walls far enough for the ports to take effect?

The keyhole mounts on the rear of the speakers are located just below the ports, maybe 1/2 inch.

I would appreciate your input. Thanks!

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

Are you wall mounting all five of them? I wouldn’t worry about the ports. The Prime’s bass extension specs at 69 Hz, and if you’re using a sub you’re crossing over at 80-90 Hz anyway. So the sub is easily making up whatever extension is lost to flush-mounting them.

If you want off-the-fall, Omnimount has one of the premier brands for decades.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

M

Muzykant

Audioholic
Thank you for your input, Wayne. I am wall mounting FR, LR and SL speakers. Right surround and center can rest on top of furniture. I have been reading the forums and people generally suggest to either plug the ports or just mount speakers as are not worrying about the port obstruction.

When I spoke to SVS sales adviser, I was told that it is best to not place speakers close to walls, but I already expected that much. He said there are brackets available from different manufacturers. The ones I checked out are expensive and seem to not be too sturdy.

What I decided to try is to use small solid wood blocks to separate the speakers from the walls. I would attach a flat metal plate to them so that one side protrudes a bit and attach the speaker to the protruding part of the plate so there is no surface in close proximity of the port. The wooden block would be screwed to the wall. I would use some softer material for padding to kill the resonances.

Maybe it is overkill, but it's cheap and I don't care about the appearance as long at it functions. Although this is a budget system, I would like it to sound its best given the circumstances. I suspect the ports are needed to reinforce the bass around the crossover frequency (80 Hz) to blend better with the sub.

By the way, I already have 2 of the satellites and really enjoy what I hear.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
I would either mount them ~10 inch from wall or plug the ports if you are using a sub.

M

Muzykant

Audioholic
Wouldn't plugging the ports restrict the movement of the woofers resulting in decreased sensitivity in the low register? Or am I wrong.

S

Sky1

Audioholic Intern
Ed from SVS said it is not an issue. Not a whole lot coming out of those ports. I got mine mounted using the supplied keyhole and don't have any issues with them.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis