SVS Prime Elevation Surround Speakers Preview

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Just when you thought SVS forgot about immersive surround sound, they've come up with an innovate elevation speaker to not only do it better but be more versatile too.

SVS announced their new Prime Elevation speaker at CES 2016 which is based off their award wining Prime series speakers. As a company that stands behind real science in audio, it's not surprising to us that they've come up with an elevation speaker that relies on sending the direct sound to the listener rather than the compromised bounce popularized by Dolby Elevation Speakers. No Romper Room solution here.

Check out our interview with SVS President Gary Yacoubian to get all of the exclusive details.

Read: SVS Prime Elevation Surround Speakers Preview

Rowdy S13

Rowdy S13

Audioholic Chief
First announced on AV Rant! Isn't it a bit odd that it is rear ported since it is designed to be mounted flat on a wall? Great product from a great company though, much better than reflecting sound :)

Sean

M

Muzykant

Audioholic
I own very similar Prime Satellites and they are mounted on the wall. I too was worried about obstructing the rear port, but in reality I couldn't hear any degradation of sound. The way the mounting brackets are designed there is always a bit of space between the wall and the port.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
First announced on AV Rant! Isn't it a bit odd that it is rear ported since it is designed to be mounted flat on a wall? Great product from a great company though, much better than reflecting sound :)

Sean
Plug the port and HP the speakers to 80Hz and you're good. Leave the port open if used as a bookshelf speaker not mounted against the wall.

Rowdy S13

Rowdy S13

Audioholic Chief
Plug the port and HP the speakers to 80Hz and you're good. Leave the port open if used as a bookshelf speaker not mounted against the wall.
That makes sense, never thought of it. So what at what distance from the wall can you leave the port open? Say you have rear ported book shelf speakers on mounts that hold it away from the wall some.

Sean

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
That makes sense, never thought of it. So what at what distance from the wall can you leave the port open? Say you have rear ported book shelf speakers on mounts that hold it away from the wall some.

Sean
A few inches.

C

Chris_The_Rock

Audiophyte
The diagrams I've seen for Atmos suggest in-ceiling placement above the listeners, and this "on the wall near the ceiling" placement seems like it would be a compromise, and I wonder what negative impact (if any) that compromise would have on the intended Atmos presentation. In any case, I would bet it's much less of a compromise than the other Atmos add-on elevation speakers.

Keep up the great work, guys. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

DrGerm

Audiophyte
I wish I could see what the mount looks like and what it looks like mounted on a wall as a down-firing height channel. I'm doing wiring in my room now and would like to have this pre-wired for when they go on sale..

And, how high do you think these should be placed?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis