SVS PB-12plus/2 or axiom EP500

superman180

superman180

Audioholic
My mind is overloading trying to decide between these two models. Can anyone offer me some good sound advice? No pun intended. :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance :eek:

P

ptalar

Junior Audioholic
Both subs you picked are internet only buys. They are hard to audition. I was in the market for a new sub so I read the reviews for various subs in the consumer reviews, and audioholics review, and reviews in this forum. I picked the SVS PB-12plus/2 and I am quite satisfied. I moved up from a Klipsch KSW-12 so I made a big step. I am not an audiophile but the basic things you should consider when buying a sub is:

1) Size matters when you have a wife. The SVS is big and when I told my wife I bought a new sub and told her the dimensions it did not seem to phase her until it actually arrived and I installed it before she got home. When she finally realized that a big black ugly monster of a box is in her new family room I was sent to the wood shed but she finally got used to it. One thing though. I play the sub when she is not home or when she is home I turn down the volume on my home theater system.

2) The SVS is a good home theater sub and that is what I mainly use my system for. Some say that others are more musical and some are mainly for home theater. They all sound good at the price range you are looking at. You can always buy better but then the sky is the limit with Home Theater equipment and it is always improving so it is a no win situation.

3) Repair and maintenance. I live in Southern California so I should of looked at the HSU VTF-3 MarkIV more closely. If my SVS needs warranty service its going to cost me at least $100 to ship it back to Ohio. And thats not counting the crate I have to put it in. I still have the packing the sub came in but it takes up a lot of space so eventually I will throw it out. With the HSU I can bring it back to the factory service center in nearby Orange County in my van. I am hoping my SVS never needs service. It supposed to be very reliable.

4) Power. The SVS is a power sub. Two 12" subs and a 900W BASH amp. The dynamic range must be about 3000w. It literally rocks the house. It defnitely hits the spot for me. It has three large ports on the back that you can tune to your liking. I have mine on the 20Hz mode and I have the sub in a corner so it is perfect. I have no regrets in buying it.

5) The EP 500 also received reasonable reviews in Audioholics. If you haven
t already you should review these reviews. They are in back issues of Audioholics but recent. I believe it is a single 12" with a 500w amp.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
I honestly think that, in that position, I might go for the SVS. The benefit of the axiom sub is that it has its own EQ and correction so it can help you achieve good, flat in-room response. The SVS might require more playing with placement and other level settings (although both will require these steps). However, if you compare the output of the two subs anechoically, the SVS bests the Axiom by about 13dB at 20Hz. Of course, the SVS has 400w of power and another 12" cone.

The SVS is much bigger than the Axiom too. I guess it really depends on how much space you can afford to use.

SVS: Size: 18" wide, 25" tall and 28" deep. Weight: 140 pounds
Axiom: Dimens. (HxWxD)(in.) 19.5 x 15 x 19.5
Weight 70 lbs

How much sub do you want?

W

warpdrive

Full Audioholic
As much as I dislike Axiom's normal loudspeakers, I have to say that the Axiom is probably a better bet between the two my purposes. The digital EQ thing really can be a livesaver, especially if you have a difficult acoustic environment.

This is from a guy who has spent hours measuring, moving, calibrating his system. And I still have a bass peak and null that I can't dial out. So I'm convinced that some kind of EQ'ing system would solve the problems I can't fix with conventional methods.

And the SVS'es are HUGE. If you really can use that amount of output, I'd say go for it, but there comes a point where buying too much sub is possible.

J

jzac

Audioholic
Both are good, but...

superman180 said:
My mind is overloading trying to decide between these two models. Can anyone offer me some good sound advice? No pun intended. :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance :eek:
I was in the exact same boat as you till a couple of days ago and after 2-3 months of research work wondering which one to go for between the 2... and then I got crazy and took the leap of faith and went with the biggest beast EP-600 instead! :D The PB12-Plus/2 sounded really good from all users and reviews, but I figured with Axiom using newer technology and showing some superb anechoic and in-room SPL specs why not give it a whirl. I figured I need a great sub to fill a room of about 11900 cubic ft, so why not EP-600... haven't got it yet... I'm hoping it gives me that level of satisfaction.... damn, it had better! :eek: Will know next week how good it works with my Yammie V2400 and Axiom m80ti. Fingers crossed! ;)

You can't go wrong with either one... good luck with your head banging research exercise! ;)

S

silversurfer

Senior Audioholic
warpdrive said:
As much as I dislike Axiom's normal loudspeakers, I have to say that the Axiom is probably a better bet between the two my purposes. The digital EQ thing really can be a livesaver, especially if you have a difficult acoustic environment.

This is from a guy who has spent hours measuring, moving, calibrating his system. And I still have a bass peak and null that I can't dial out. So I'm convinced that some kind of EQ'ing system would solve the problems I can't fix with conventional methods.

And the SVS'es are HUGE. If you really can use that amount of output, I'd say go for it, but there comes a point where buying too much sub is possible.
The digital EQ on the Axiom does nothing for in-room correction. It only keeps the sub anechoicly flat.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis