Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I own a PC13-Ultra and SB13-Ultra. I'm happy with them. I've never heard any of their speakers, but I've thought about trying them.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I own a PC13-Ultra and SB13-Ultra. I'm happy with them. I've never heard any of their speakers, but I've thought about trying them.
They should ship the Ultra Towers to you for a home review. ;)

Since SVS is huge on subs, I think it's a matter of time before they incorporate a tower with built-in sub, like the RBH SX-8300, so people can actively bi-amp the SVS towers.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
I used to have a PB12U. Now there is a PC20-39 sitting unused in my bedroom. I like it so much that I can't get rid of it.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Still Loving my PB-1000(Not on the list:confused:) It surprises all the time with what is can do, dang.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
Have a PB13U. Added it as a second sub to my Rythmik FV15HP. Now consider the PB my primary, and FV the secondary. When I want to turn the bass up, it is the SVS PB that I turn up. I like it!

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
I like the idea of owners threads. As for myself...I formerly owned a pb10 nsd, heard several other Svs products including some of the monitors. I've heard both Ultra models and most recently I had the pleasure of auditioning the SB13U in home(~4 months). If I was to return and become an Svs customer again it would likely be based on them building that SB16U somewhere down the road. I guess the SB13U kind of spoiled me but I am currently a happy camper with my most current sub.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
I like the idea of owners threads. As for myself...I formerly owned a pb10 nsd
My first "real" sub was also a PB10-NSD, and I've owned the PB13U and PC12-NSD as well. At Capital Audiofest 2013, SVS was around with their Ultra speaker lineup plus a couple SB13Us which I got to sample.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
I've never owned an SVS sub, but you might recall I auditioned / reviewed the Ultra Towers last year. Very impactful bass on those things.

Natrix

Natrix

Junior Audioholic
I have dual PB12+'s and it can be downright startling what these things can do in my room (think trainwreck in Super 8 or Cloverfield). I also used to own a SB12NSD that I used with my computer setup and I regret get rid of it.

Still Loving my PB-1000(Not on the list:confused:) It surprises all the time with what is can do, dang.
I persuaded my brother to get the PB-1000 for his house and I agree with you.

TomC1315

TomC1315

Audiophyte
After auditioning an SB12NSD and a PB2000 for my son, and dual SB2000s for myself, we ended up sharing dual PC12+s. Listening to mine now as I write this, I am reminded once again how great this sub is ... Deep bass tones fill the room, sonically and physically - sending vibrations into the floor and the sofa : )

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I haven't heard or seen any of their products in person, and gladly welcome any products sent for auditions which will be fully written up and photographed if someone (SVS) wants to send one.

SheepStar

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I am impressed with their customer support. Staffs are responsive and friendly. Of course that alone will not do it, but their products are great too. Their specs and performance may not be the best but probably among the best when you factor in prices and build quality.

H

Hughhugh

Audiophyte
I have been trying to figure out, and have asked SVS about this question also, which speakers to use for surround duty.
I'd also like to ask your opinion on this.
I'm really actually looking for the opinion of someone who has actually PERSONALLY experienced both setup as a comparison, as opposed to the science and logic behind it.

So for a 7.1 system, with actual 2 side speakers and 2 rear speakers (not the surround speaker set as 2 speakers), have anyone compared the bookshelf vs the surround/bipole speakers ?

SVS support recommends using the ultra surround speakers for all surround works.
However, some online reviews seem to be using the ultra surround for side speakers, and bookshelf as the rear speakers.
An example is this one (seems to be supported by SVS):
(avnirvana.com/threads/the-ultimate-svs-ultra-7-2-4-atmos-system-review.1119
And this one also (by looking at the picture):
(homecinemachoice.com/news/article/svs-ultra-71-review/15407)

The reason I ask is that:
1. the Ultra surround is about the same price as the bookshelf
If the bookshelf is more appropriate for the rear speaker, I'm thinking that a bookshelf rear speaker might be more appropriate.

2. Going along the same path of thinking,
The price of the Prime tower is about the same as the bookshelf.
So perhaps better to use the prime tower for rear speakers?

3. Or alternatively save on the rear by using prime bookshelf and use the budget to add some prime elevation for atmos setup?

4. If I were to use ultra surround as the side speakers and a bookshelf as rear speakers, would the bi/dipole characteristics of the side speaker mess up with the rear ?

5. Finally, for those running 7.x system with side and rear ultra surrounds, are you happy with the surround sound ? It seems that there're a lot of sounds 'bouncing around' (for a lack of better way to explain this).

Thank you

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Well I’m already disqualified since you asked only for opinions from Direct experience with SVS’s ultra surrounds, but still feel some general info/opinion can apply.
1. The bookshelf is spot for all locations. Unless a room is horribly small, nobody should use bipoles.

2.prime towers could work as all SVS speakers are voiced to mix n match with each other while maintaining budget if necessary. However, while they wouldn’t not hinder performance directly, they will be too low for “regular” surround duty. They would be the right height for bed speakers in an atmos system, but most will say they’re overkill for surround duty. This depends on your own philosophy. IMO, you should not skimp on rear speakers if you can help it.

3.yes, this would work pretty well.

4. IMO, yes. This is only my opinion, but bi/dipoles should disappear from the earth. Also, I don’t believe in the dual speaker option in the ultra surrounds. Sorry...
Also, if interested in atmos, Dolby says NOT to use bipoles. The imaging accuracy of monopoles adds to the 3d sounds effectiveness.

5. Depends on many factors, such as placement , and room size/shape. I have 7.3, and while native 7.1 tracks are rendered very nicely, 5.1 or 5.1.4 can absolutely be satisfying and killer. If you don’t have at least 5’ behind the LP 7.x anything isn’t effective.

Hope there’s something useful in there...

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Well gee whiz, I don't think I knew this thread existed! I'd have bumped it prolly about 36 times by now!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Well gee whiz, I don't think I knew this thread existed! I'd have bumped it prolly about 36 times by now!
Lol. I was surprised that I was the last one to post before the “announcement” pic.
Now, I expect you to keep this fresh. Lol

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
oooh, a new dual diver sub you think? That's my vote!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis