SVS Grill Modification

B

beargonefishing

Enthusiast
My SVS sub grill cover won't stay attached when playing loud. The rubber inserts are easily damaged when just trying to put it on every time. I went ahead and removed the bottom rubber inserts and inserted dowel rods to fill and repair.

So now the question is what to do to attach the grill. I could add rubber inserts like before, but I thought about adding these magnets with a countersunk hole to keep the grill better secured. However, I don't want to f-up the sub if these magnets might adversely interact with the speaker.

Does anyone know if these magnets would be detrimental to the sub? The magnets are strong, but don't have a pull weight rating listed.

20200927_075209.jpg
20200927_075149.jpg

Screenshot_20200927-075643_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Magnets are now the best way to attach loudspeaker grills. Your plan is now the standard way to attach speaker grills.

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

If you need more magnetic strength, you can stack two in each hole.

B

beargonefishing

Enthusiast
Magnets are now the best way to attach loudspeaker grills. Your plan is now the standard way to attach speaker grills.
If you need more magnetic strength, you can stack two in each hole.
Thanks for the feedback. It sounds like you two don't believe the magnets will affect the sub. The magnets are extremely strong, and I estimate they are between 50-100 pounds of pull force. I plan on adding them just to the bittom of the speaker and, if more strength needed, to the bottom of the grill cover.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I use magnets like you pictured for the grills on my diy subs....K&N Magnetics has lots of forms of magnets....no, they won't bother the sub driver.....

highfigh

highfigh

Thanks for the feedback. It sounds like you two don't believe the magnets will affect the sub. The magnets are extremely strong, and I estimate they are between 50-100 pounds of pull force. I plan on adding them just to the bittom of the speaker and, if more strength needed, to the bottom of the grill cover.
Magnetic field strength drops as the distance increases. By the time it reaches the voice coil, there's not much left.

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

BTW- rare earth magnets are available in different sizes at Harbor Freight and Rockler woodworking supply stores.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
More specifically, the magnetic field strength drops proportionately to the inverse square of the distance.
Thus, it dies off quickly!
With the large magnet located on a subwoofer, the influence from a small magnet several inches away is insignificant.
Just the same, I would look for a 3/4" magnet instead of the 1-1/4" you linked. Not so much because I think it would mess with the sub, but because you are liable to need to use ridiculous amounts of force to remove the grill and could end up doing something dumb like punching yourself in the face when it comes free while you are fighting with it! :D

Last edited:
B

beargonefishing

Enthusiast
More specifically, the magnetic field strength drops proportionately to the inverse square of the distance.
Thus, it dies off quickly!
With the large magnet located on a subwoofer, the influence from a small magnet several inches away is insignificant.
Just the same, I would look for a 3/4" magnet instead of the 1-1/4" you linked. Not so much because I think it would mess with the sub, but because you are liable to need to use ridiculous amounts of force to remove the grill and could end up doing something dumb like punching yourself in the face when it come free while you are fighting with it! :D
If I do something dumb, it's not unlike most weeks.

I finished the project, it turned out looking decent (although I won't really see it) and it seems to hold well without adding another magnet to the metal frame. The counter sink was probably 1/6-1/8 wider than the magnet. I expected a tighter fit, but I'm very ungood at woodwork so the learning curve is steep. I had to use a drimmel to remove the plugs from the grill frame.

20200927_142741.jpg

20200927_143225.jpg

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis