SVS announces new STS-01 slim tower speakers

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
[I searched and didn't see any other posts on this.]

SVS has announced pre-orders for their new STS-01 line of speakers. Their link to the product page is incorrect at the moment, but the news page gives some details.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
[I searched and didn't see any other posts on this.]

SVS has announced pre-orders for their new STS-01 line of speakers. Their link to the product page is incorrect at the moment, but the news page gives some details.
Thanks Adam, as you have returned the favor regarding new gear. There is NOTHING like the excitement when new gear comes out imho. Especially, if is it quite affordable. Appreciate the heads up there buddy. ;);)

Cheers,

Phil

jcilforever

jcilforever

Audioholic
Wow just when I bought some SCs's wonder how much the set is going to be around towers, surrounds and sub $1800???????

shenaniganz

shenaniganz

Junior Audioholic
Yea those look wicked nice imo. I love the towers, too bad I just got mine 2 months ago. Good in a way, I saved a little cuz i would have looked at these.

B

blued888

Audioholic
Yea those look wicked nice imo. I love the towers, too bad I just got mine 2 months ago. Good in a way, I saved a little cuz i would have looked at these.
SVS compels you to get the towers and move the SBS-01's to surround duty! :D LOL

just-some-guy

just-some-guy

Audioholic Field Marshall
those are VERY NICE. but for me, a bit small. a 8" version would be up my alley. i can see them selling a ton of those. where are they made ?

H

Highbar

Senior Audioholic
They look nice. Can't wait till they have a product page up for them. Even though I'll be looking for bookshelfs for my new surround setup.... TV first, must keep repeating TV first.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Thx a lot adam, very very interesting speakers...

Some of the best speakers I have heard are with many small woofers, I kind of like this arrangement of drivers..... :cool:

quite similar to some of the Danish system audio products, and those speakers are absolutely :D

don't think these speakers should be underestimated, looks like very good value to me.....

D

ddawg1130

Enthusiast
Well I bit the bullet and pre-ordered 5.1 system with these and the pc12-nsd. It's to upgrade a hand-me down bose accoustimass system. So I find it hard to believe that I'll not be blown away, but still excited and I'll let everyone know how I like them when i get them... in July!!! freaking wait is killing me.

Q

q123we

Enthusiast
Did you receive your speakers yet? I will get mine today.

L

lbolts20

Junior Audioholic
Did you receive your speakers yet? I will get mine today.
please post your thoughts once you listen to them. This is one of the systems I am looking to purchase soon.

D

ddawg1130

Enthusiast
Got these a few days ago and they are FANTASTIC. Honestly was using a pair of SBS-01s temporarilly for front left/right and they sounded amazing. I had even considered cancelling my STS-01 order as i didn't see how it could get better.

People would come over and say the system sounded like a movie theater, even had people saying it sounded better. But after I hooked up the STS-01s and recalibrated the speakers I found that they added this extra effect to the sound that I find hard to describe. It was just this bit extra that honestly makes a huge difference. I read this quote from SVS that is a very accurate description of what I've experienced:
The STS-01 are an improvement overall on the current S line,...across the board. The big difference, though, is the amount of punch, slam, and dynamic agility they bring to the party. They're not a deep bass speaker, and are definitely meant to be used with a sub. Concentrating those four woofers and big cabinet on the upper bass has profound effects on response in that punch in the chest region, and makes them loads of fun.
Paired with the PC12-NSD and crossover set at 80Hz, low frequency sounds are truly amazing with this setup. As they describe, upper bass really does truly now have that punch in the chest make you excited feeling while sounding absolutly heavenly.

With the STS-01s I do honestly think that my system now sounds as good as a movie theater. Music is also so clean and smooth, it's unbelievable how loud you can crank up music and sit there and listen to it and just be WOW'd by the sound without it ever "hurting" or feeling uncomfortable. It just sounds BEAUTIFUL.

I'm not saying the SBS-01s weren't also beautiful sounding, they were. These just make it seem a bit more "full" and AWESOME. So thank you to SVS for an awesome product.

Just some extra notes that I notice people usually mention. I don't think anyone will be suprised by this if they've bought from SVS before though.
- The packaging was very well done.
- I love the mirrored/dedicated front-left/right design.
- The build quality was superb, the speakers are clearly very well constructed.
- Assembling the base and carpet spikes was a breeze.

Only thing I was a bit confused about was that they didn't come with any instructions (not that you need instructions, just remember they are 6ohm when configuring your AMP). There was some extra hardware included with the baseplate that I wasn't and still can't figure out what it would be used for or how you would attach it.

Last edited:
D

ddawg1130

Enthusiast
And now for pictures. My camera is like 6 years old and in need of replacing, so please excuse the crappy picture quality. Also you can't normally see through the speaker grills at all, the flash just makes it seem like you can.

So I was sitting in another room staring at these pics and they really don't do the speakers justice. I walked through the living room and had to step back and just admire the setup. The speakers, while being a "plain" shape/design, do have a high quality appearance to them that I love. Anyway, I would 100% recommend these to anyone. My whole experience with SVS has been probably the most pleasant online shopping experience I've ever had.

Last edited:
D

ddawg1130

Enthusiast
And lastly, couple stories and then I'll shut up.

The first movie we watched on this setup was TOP GUN on HD-DVD because my one roomate and I LOVE that movie. The other roomate was making fun of it saying it's a crappy movie and he didn't want to watch it. After the movie he said, and I quote, "wow, I didn't realize how good that movie was." He has seen the movie before, and did remember everything that happened, so even though he might not consciously be aware of it, I believe it was the added effect that this speaker system had that really gets you excited and lost in the movie that was the difference for him.

The next day I got home late (~10:30) and one roomate had a girl over. She was planning on leaving after they finished the movie they were watching, but she was clearly very impressed by the setup. It therefore didn't take much convincing to get her to stay for another movie. I went to bed in the middle of that next movie and noticed her purse sitting next to the couch the next morning when I left for work. Roomate bought me dinner last night :)

2 stories in 2 days... do these really need more praise?

Last edited:
lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
A line array can be just flat out awesome. I'm actually considering turning my next build into one.

I see the setup isn't symetrical though:D

Just need that sub for the other side and a Behringer Feedback Destroyer. Then you will find another level. :) Maybe your friend will bring over 2 girls then. :p

Sorry the bug has bitten me hard. Upgraditis never stops.

chris357

chris357

Senior Audioholic
A line array can be just flat out awesome. I'm actually considering turning my next build into one.

Just need that sub for the other side and a Behringer Feedback Destroyer. Then you will find another level. :) Maybe your friend will bring over 2 girls then. :p

what is a Behringer Feedback Destroyer and what does it do?

And dawg, is that the sub you get in the system for 1800? what kind of amps are you using?

D

ddawg1130

Enthusiast

Yup, that's the Plan. One more PC12-NSD for the left side and I was actually thinking the AS-EQ1 to control the bass.
Lol, why not 4 girls?...

what is a Behringer Feedback Destroyer and what does it do?

And dawg, is that the sub you get in the system for 1800? what kind of amps are you using?
Yeah, thats the PC12-NSD and it's AWESOME. I had been being all nit-picky and looking at the specs and was tempted to get the PB12-NSD. But SVS advised me over e-mail that the slight difference didn't even matter once you stick the sub in a closed room and to choose based on what style fits your room better. I have absolutelly 0 regrets, this sub is light years better sounding then any sub I've heard before. I would highly recomend this sub to absolutelly anybody for any system.

I also have it sitting on an Auralex Gramma which does a great job of isolating it and helps improve the sound of the sub in the room while not being so annoying to neighbors.

I have a Sony 2400es reciever. If you have a Sony tv and blu-ray player i'd highly recomend this amp as Bravia Link over HDMI works beautifully. ****, I'd recomend it even if you don't. I know everyone is down on Sony recievers for some strange reason but this thing has an amazing set of features for the price point and the sound is beautiful (although that's probably more thanks to the speakers lol). Just don't rely on the auto callibration, get a radio shack SPL and do it yourself.

Fun hint with the reciever: I have my xbox360 hooked up via hdmi to the 'DVD' HDMI port and the cable box hooked up via component/optical. I went into the menu and set the video and audio inputs for the 'DVD' to the ones I have the cable box hooked up to. The reason being that the HDMI signal automatically over rides these. So As long as I have the amp on the 'DVD' input then I can use the cable remote to turn on/off the entire system, control volume, and as long as the XBOX is off I will see and hear the cable signal (and it upscales the picture BEAUTIFULLY...). Then when i want I just flip on the XBOX and it will automatically switch to the HDMI input, meaning most of the time I never have to touch or use the amp remotes or change inputs. Only time I do is when I want to watch tv and leave the XBOX on, then I swith it to the 'SAT' input which I also have assigned the same video/audio inputs from the cable box.

Last edited:

morejustin

Audiophyte
Don't get me wrong here i love my SVS speakers but I'm just wondering why my new STS-01 towers are not 6" as described on the manufactures website.

Take a look at my pics and let me know what you think.

Here's a screen scrape from the SVS Website regarding the SCS-01 which i have sitting next to the STS-01 in my pictures.

Link to this info on the SVS site (it's at the bottom) - http://www.svsound.com/products-spks-sbs01.cfm

And last you can see here a screen scrape from the SVS site regarding specs on the STS-01's

Link to this info on the SVS site (it's at the bottom) - http://www.svsound.com/products-spks-sts01.cfm

Don't get me wrong, they sound awesome, i was just surprised at what i found when i un-boxed them.

What's your take on this guys?

My Set-Up:
Display - 60" Sony SXRD KDS-60A2020
Receiver - Denon AVR-889
Center Channel - SVS SCS-01
Mains - SVS STS-01's
Surrounds - 4 x SCS-01(M)
Sub - SVS PC12-NSD

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com