SVS 12” vs Hsu 12” / 15” Vs the Dayton ultra max 18”

M

m3incorp

Audioholic Intern
I bought mine during a sale this past month....it was $50 off. I guess it depends on how long a person is willing to wait to save $50.

WI_Hedgehog

WI_Hedgehog

Audiophyte
This has been the key thread in introducing me to the Monoprice Monolith, which I'd have never known about otherwise. (I'm adding the 15in THX Ultra to my "upgrade list.") I have an Andrew Jones Pioneer Elite Dolby Atmos speaker system (7.1, bring your own sub) which is super-clean and tight, though the PSW505 sub (excellent in its own right) is now being outrun by them after the upgrade from standard Andrew Jones speakers.

I was thinking of the SVS PB-4000 (known to be excellent), but the quality and sound pairing/matching of THX is more important to me, so THANK YOU!

Playing tracks back-to-back on non-THX Anderew Jones speakers vs the Elite series (different levels of the same series) demonstrated "great" sound vs. "OMG this is incredible--just like being there" audio. So it's time for a sub upgrade...

EP-EFS73.jpgSP-EC73.jpgSP-BS22A-LR.jpg
PSW-505.jpg changes to: Monolith 15 Ultra.png

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
The THX certification for the HTiB you have is the THX I/S certification, which signifies that you have a product capable of producing output at a sufficient spl level, within their distortion parameters, sufficient for a small room or dorm room, with screen viewing distances up to 8ft (their description, not mine). This certification level, within their hierarchy, is one step up from the certification handed out for PC gaming sound systems. I’m not personally saying it’s bad, or good- if you like it that’s what matters most.

Both of the subs you’re looking at are capable of producing far greater output than is required for the I/S certification, and will absolutely annihilate that 505 in bench testing. In other words, a MASSIVE upgrade. As far as matching? There’s certainly no “tone” matching to consider, and the distortion from both of those subs are low to the point of not making an audible difference.

For the price if one PB4000 you can get two HSU VTF3 MK-5’s. You’ll get better coverage via the reduction of standing waves, and increased headroom. Duals are always better;)

WI_Hedgehog

WI_Hedgehog

Audiophyte
My goal is to stay clean & tight with decent SPL down to 16 Hz. The PSW505 can't go infra-sonic, and it doesn't produce sound with the clarity of the surround system.

So 1 HSU VTF3 MK-5 subs would be a huge upgrade, and 2 would give me what I'm looking for better than the Monolith ?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
My goal is to stay clean & tight with decent SPL down to 16 Hz. The PSW505 can't go infra-sonic, and it doesn't produce sound with the clarity of the surround system.

So 1 HSU VTF3 MK-5 subs would be a huge upgrade, and 2 would give me what I'm looking for better than the Monolith ?
If you want 16Hz, the VTF-15h mk2 would be a better choice as it is tuned to 16Hz whereas the VTF-3 mk5 is tuned to 18Hz. The VTF-3 mk5 can reproduce 16Hz, but the VTf-15h mk2 can do so with more power and less distortion.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
If you want 16Hz, the VTF-15h mk2 would be a better choice as it is tuned to 16Hz whereas the VTF-3 mk5 is tuned to 18Hz. The VTF-3 mk5 can reproduce 16Hz, but the VTf-15h mk2 can do so with more power and less distortion.
strange 2hz tuning difference so one shakes the room more ?? Is it worth the extra money
Ultimax seems cool but it needs a big box for ported . And expensive to buy amps but larger so appealing .

Last edited:
WI_Hedgehog

WI_Hedgehog

Audiophyte
I think Dayton is in a different class--when I was younger it was the way to go for "good quality" drivers--and affordable--just build a box and go!

BUT, now that I was introduced to clear/tight/quality sound, loud/muddy isn't appealing. ("Introduced," not "audioholic." LOL I thought my system sounded great...until...) The Andrew Jones Elite setup is capable of louder than I need for movies & music, so my focus is on improving quality, and the PSW505 which was an awesome upgrade is now dragging things down...you know the story!

@shadyJ's suggestion of the VTF-15H MK2 seems to fit my "needs" even better--thank you!

How are the surrounds on HSU subs? Anything to look out for?

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I think Dayton is in a different class--when I was younger it was the way to go for "good quality" drivers--and affordable--just build a box and go!

BUT, now that I was introduced to clear/tight/quality sound, loud/muddy isn't appealing. ("Introduced," not "audioholic." LOL I thought my system sounded great...until...) The Andrew Jones Elite setup is capable of louder than I need for movies & music, so my focus is on improving quality, and the PSW505 which was an awesome upgrade is now dragging things down...you know the story!

@shadyJ's suggestion of the VTF-15H MK2 seems to fit my "needs" even better--thank you!

How are the surrounds on HSU subs? Anything to look out for?
The Hsu surrounds are butyl-rubber, they are fine. Butyl-rubber isn't as heavy as regular rubber and so allows higher sensitivity for the driver, but it doesn't wear down like foam surrounds, so it is a very good material for surrounds.

A

aceinc

Audioholic
Dual 15s, over 1 of anything. If you're handy a pair of Dayton Ultimax 15s, if sealed you'll probably want a dsp with your amp(s). If you've got the space and the need for bass, then ported.

WI_Hedgehog

WI_Hedgehog

Audiophyte
The THX certification for the HTiB you have is the THX I/S certification...sufficient for a small room or dorm room, with screen viewing distances up to 8ft....
Where did you find that information? (I looked around quite a bit, but cannot find it.)

As a note, I recently put the amp in Stereo mode (using just the sub and two front speakers instead of the usual 7.1 mode) and cranked it up, accidentally burning off a little of the newness, the smell causing instant remorse. Fortunately I caught it right away and let the amp and speakers cool down, and everything still sounds/works great. Definitely keeping it in 7.1 mode for louder stuff, and did experience what you're saying about the output.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis