Surrounds or Bookshelves ?

remomoreira

remomoreira

Audioholic Intern
Folks,

My sound system is a stereo, with a Pioneer VSX-534 receiver, two Tropic Audio TA-300 towers and two Sony Active Subwoofers (SA-WP16). As my interest is only music, I opted for this system 2.2, which suits me perfectly, even because I have little space, only 10.58 m2.

However, I have begun to be interested in the relaunching of classic albums, usually 50th, 25th, etc. commemorative editions of the major rock bands, and these re-releases include versions of these high definition audio discs that can only be played on a 5.1 system. , at least.

Because of this, I intend to purchase the missing boxes for configuration 5.1., but I have two questions:

1) As my space is very small, only 10.58 m2, do you recommend a pair of surround speakers or bookshelves? can both models faithfully reproduce the effect, for example, of the helicopter on that classic Pink Floyd track ("Another brick on the wall"), or just the bookshelf, for having a higher power? Right off the bat, I need to let you know that the speakers will be positioned laterally in relation to the listener, since there is no space to position them behind the listener.

2) The need for the central speaker will come from the relevance that I assign to the vocal, in the songs, ok?

Thank you in advance for the help.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Just for clarity, what is you definition of a surround speaker VS a bookshelf. Some people use towers as surround speakers.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I was wondering about a dipole vs monopole sort of definition....clarification would be good. Surrounds should be to the sides in any case. Ideally center would be same as L/R, and for multich music same all around...or at least fairly similar and capable....

remomoreira

remomoreira

Audioholic Intern
Just for clarity, what is you definition of a surround speaker VS a bookshelf. Some people use towers as surround speakers.
I use towers speakers as front speakers.
By surround speakers I mean satellite speakers.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I use towers speakers as front speakers.
By surround speakers I mean satellite speakers.
So by satellite, you’re basically referring to smaller bookshelf(BS) speakers?

In any case, IMO the larger speaker will generally be better at providing dynamics. In a 5.1 system, there won’t usually be a lot of demanding type of sounds in the surround channels. However with the Pink Floyd reference you made, I imo a larger BS speaker would deliver that better. A smaller speaker would definitely work, but I think a larger one would be better.

My comments are a little arbitrary though, as I’m still not sure of your definitions.

remomoreira

remomoreira

Audioholic Intern
So by satellite, you’re basically referring to smaller bookshelf(BS) speakers?

In any case, IMO the larger speaker will generally be better at providing dynamics. In a 5.1 system, there won’t usually be a lot of demanding type of sounds in the surround channels. However with the Pink Floyd reference you made, I imo a larger BS speaker would deliver that better. A smaller speaker would definitely work, but I think a larger one would be better.

My comments are a little arbitrary though, as I’m still not sure of your definitions.
I agree with you. :)
Thanks a lot.

vader540is

vader540is

Full Audioholic
Definitely a medium to large bookshelf or maybe matching towers.

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
My sound system is a stereo, with a Pioneer VSX-534 receiver, two Tropic Audio TA-300 towers and two Sony Active Subwoofers (SA-WP16). . . a 2.2 system . . . have only 10.58 m2.
To help other metrically challenged readers; 10.58 m2 = 114 sq ft, or about a 10' x 11' bedroom.

1) As my space is very small, only do you recommend a pair of surround speakers or bookshelves?
Either is fine. Relatively little content plays on surrounds.

. . . the (surround) speakers will be positioned laterally in relation to the listener, since there is no space to position them behind the listener.
Lateral placement is not a problem. It is within the surround speaker configuration design.

2) The need for the center speaker will come from the relevance that I assign to the vocal, in the songs, ok?
Not true, a center channel is not needed. A "phantom center" or 4.2 (no center speaker) configuration will work just fine, maybe even better, given your small room.
- See the Pioneer manual page 25 on available speaker combinations.

Cheers,
XEagleDriver

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

remomoreira

remomoreira

Audioholic Intern
To help other metrically challenged readers; 10.58 m2 = 114 sq ft, or about a 10' x 11' bedroom.

Either is fine. Relatively little content plays on surrounds.

Lateral placement is not a problem. It is within the surround speaker configuration design.

Not true, a center channel is not needed. A "phantom center" or 4.2 (no center speaker) configuration will work just fine, maybe even better, given your small room.
- See the Pioneer manual page 25 on available speaker combinations.

Cheers,
XEagleDriver

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk
In fact, you´re right. Page 46 of the receiver manual describes this resource:

"Adjusting DIALOG: Emphasizes movie lines and music vocals to listen to them more easily. It is effective to movie lines in particular. Also, it exerts the effect even if the center speaker is not used. Select a desired level from "1" (low) to "5" (high)."

Thankk you very much! :)

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Any particular albums that are coming out in 5.1 recently? Or announced?

There was a push for 5.1 discs in the early 2000s but only a few have come in recent years. I usually buy these older ones used.

I did hear a report that Amazon Music HD was planning on streaming “Atmos” Music via DD+ sometime soon.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
The surround speakers used to deliver 5.1 SACD are ideally the bookshelf versions of your mains, which will usually have the same tweeter as mains and will deliver identical tone as mains. At any rate, it's not too important that the tone from surrounds and mains match; but, tone match does support volume matching. Where you need matching most in tone is mains to center channel. It's why some systems are marketed as LCR. This can be problematic however when mains are floor standing models, since a floor standing center channel is difficult to integrate. Instead just buy the manufacturers center channel from the speaker series. Also, the best selection of multi-channel SACDs, as well as multi-channel downloads is from Acoustic Sounds, about 850 new items in their most recent catalog. I would highly recommend the FLAC download of the Seattle Symphony's performance of The Firebird. It is not available on SACD; but, there are plenty of genres which are recorded in 5.1 SACD. And, whether or not you are playing a disc with .1 bass recorded to it, bass which would normally go to mains will go to your sub if the player/amp has sufficient multi-channel bass management control. This applies also to music downmixed to stereo, as well as stereo. One more thing, 5.1 delivered from actual 5.1 speaker configurations produces breadth and depth that is in a word awesome. Once you've tasted it, stereo seems not quite crickett.

Last edited:
remomoreira

remomoreira

Audioholic Intern
Any particular albums that are coming out in 5.1 recently? Or announced?

There was a push for 5.1 discs in the early 2000s but only a few have come in recent years. I usually buy these older ones used.

I did hear a report that Amazon Music HD was planning on streaming “Atmos” Music via DD+ sometime soon.
We had R.E.M. - Automatic For The People – 25th Anniversary released Nov, 01st and will have PINK FLOYD / THE LATER YEARS next month. both with 5.1 audio blurays.

remomoreira

remomoreira

Audioholic Intern
The surround speakers used to deliver 5.1 SACD are ideally the bookshelf versions of your mains, which will usually have the same tweeter as mains and will deliver identical tone as mains. At any rate, it's not too important that the tone from surrounds and mains match; but, tone match does support volume matching. Where you need matching most in tone is mains to center channel. It's why some systems are marketed as LCR. This can be problematic however when mains are floor standing models, since a floor standing center channel is difficult to integrate. Instead just buy the manufacturers center channel from the speaker series. Also, the best selection of multi-channel SACDs, as well as multi-channel downloads is from Acoustic Sounds, about 850 new items in their most recent catalog. I would highly recommend the FLAC download of the Seattle Symphony's performance of The Firebird. It is not available on SACD; but, their are plenty of genres which are recorded in 5.1 SACD. And,, whether or not you are playing a disc with .1 bass recorded to it, bass which would normally go to mains will go to your sub if the player/amp has sufficient multi-channel bass management control. This applies also to music downmixed to stereo, as well as stereo. One more thing, 5.1 delivered from actual 5.1 speaker configurations produces breadth and depth that is in a word awesome. Once you've tasted it, stereo seems not quite crickett.
Thank you very much!
I´ll search right now interesting titles in Acoustic Sounds. :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis