Surrounds for SVS Ultras

R

Revec

Audiophyte
Hello all,

I recently upgraded my left, right, and center to the SVS ultra and I'm trying to decide what SVS surround to go with it as placement in my room is limited. Room size is 11 x 10 with the only placement option being directly behind me on top of dresser at ear height about 3 - 4 feet from the office chair which is the MLP. See attached photos for layout. You can ignore the Sonos speaker is that what I turn on as background noise when I go to bed. Also can ignore the mic stand as I ran Audyssey the other dayfor the SVS ultras.

Wall mounting is not an option per the owner (it took me months just to get her to agree to wall mount the HDTV). My thought was to buy the ultra surrounds and place them so that the middle, non speaker area is where my ears are at when sitting in the chair, but I don't know if that's a good idea. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
For your size room/restriction, I'd consider Polk S-10 from Crutchfield.com Surrounds do not have to be a match with others. It is a good idea to have the speaker tweeters at ear level and more so 18-24" above ear level in your application. If the rears are not spaced 6 feet apart, you are missing the full effect. Same with mains.
Here are some reviews of speakers. Recommended or not.
Speaker Review and Measurement Index | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

TV Viewing Distance Size Chart Guide for Full HD and 4K TVs (tvsguides.com)

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What did you have before the SVS speakers? Can't use those for surrounds? You are limited to SVS speakers only? What's the budget? Surrounds directly behind you wouldn't be a particularly good location, perhaps on stands to the sides instead?

R

Revec

Audiophyte
Budget is about $1,000 - $1,200. Before the SVS speakers, I used the Energy Take Classic 5.1 system. I also owned Paradigm Reference 5.1 speakers about 15 years ago when I had a much larger room to work with. Don’t have those Paradigms any more. Stand placement isn’t really an option. The only way that would work would be to move the dresser into a corner and then stack books and a layer of acoustic foam at the top of the dresser and the raised head frame on my bed on the opposite side to position them further apart.

Some good news though. By some miracle my landlord agreed yesterday to let me wall mount surrounds, although I can’t run wiring in the walls. That still limits where I can put speakers since two walls only have a small 1 foot gap near the ceiling to wall mount speakers. However that 1 foot gap does go across the entire wall so it should be enough room to put in a smaller speaker like the Prime Elevations at the ceiling directly to the left and right of where I sit and the downward tilt should aim them fairly close to my MLP. Would that work? Heck I could probably even add another two Elevations on the back wall 3 feet from each corner for 7.1. Or maybe add those two for 5.1.2? Not sure where I would place the elevation speakers for a 5.1.2 layout.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Budget is about $1,000 - $1,200. Before the SVS speakers, I used the Energy Take Classic 5.1 system. I also owned Paradigm Reference 5.1 speakers about 15 years ago when I had a much larger room to work with. Don’t have those Paradigms any more. Stand placement isn’t really an option. The only way that would work would be to move the dresser into a corner and then stack books and a layer of acoustic foam at the top of the dresser and the raised head frame on my bed on the opposite side to position them further apart.

Some good news though. By some miracle my landlord agreed yesterday to let me wall mount surrounds, although I can’t run wiring in the walls. That still limits where I can put speakers since two walls only have a small 1 foot gap near the ceiling to wall mount speakers. However that 1 foot gap does go across the entire wall so it should be enough room to put in a smaller speaker like the Prime Elevations at the ceiling directly to the left and right of where I sit and the downward tilt should aim them fairly close to my MLP. Would that work? Heck I could probably even add another two Elevations on the back wall 3 feet from each corner for 7.1. Or maybe add those two for 5.1.2? Not sure where I would place the elevation speakers for a 5.1.2 layout.
I use towers in two tiny rooms haha , space isn’t a big deal . Just a matter of if you want a fuller sound vs bookshelves.
Which speakers are you using prior you have no extras ?

I’d get another pair of bookshelves as surrounds.. I’m not sure prime elevation may work too as surrounds.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis