D

docferdie

Audioholic
Any suggestions for aesthetically running speaker wire along a white wall? Can't do in wall wiring.

U

Unregistered

LIVE WITH THE "NATURAL CABLE LOOK"

Just did a surround install in my living room. Used excellent Monster cable that costs $129 per 100ft roll. This wire uses a number of significant technolgies unavailable just a few years ago. This stuff blew away my $180 per 13ft pair of Tara Labs Prism Bi-wire speaker cables. I mean No Contest! Goto the link below:

(http://monstercable.com/custom_install/productPageCI.asp?pin=1447). XPHP CI Speaker Cable on 100ft. Spool XPHP-CI BIG-100

Used a single run of this stuff for my surrounds and used a double run for my main speakers and center channel. Used Monster Gold bananas and flexi-pins. Whoa! You can't believe the sound. I'll bet a double run of this stuff (per speaker) is better than their ourageously priced top-end cable using a single run.

Anyway this stuff is really quite pretty as it is a two color braid with clear outer jacket. I was stumped by the same question you are but then my wife said, "That stuff is really pretty. Why don't you just run it along where the wall meets the ceiling?" It looks frickin great!

I afixed the cable using "#11 double-pointed tacks" from LOWES spaced about 14" inches apart. Any more than 14" creates a "sagging" cable between the tacks. I used an 18" interval but wish I'd used 14". You'll need to hold the cable taught and then push fit the tacks over the cable by hand (so as not to puncture the cabling wire inside the jacket). Hold the cable (and press-fitted tack) as high up to the ceiling as possible then hammer the double pointed tack to the dry wall. Your hammer will be flush with the ceiling while hammering so you'll need to scotch tape the side of your hammer so the metal doesn't mark the ceiling while you're hammering. At least half the tacks in the package have a pretty gun metal blueing finish and I hand picked these out over the brown ones in the package. Wire really can be beautiful. Hope this helps. Call me if you want to 260-423-2287.

D

docferdie

Audioholic
Thanks for the suggestion. Now I just need some free time.

U

Unregistered

Be Really Careful --you'll Need Upto 4 Hrs.

Doc,

You'll need to measure and re-measure the runs very carefully because once you've cut the wire off the spool there's no pasting it back together. Technically, both Right and Left runs should be of equal length but it is acceptable if the lengths of the cable differ by NO more than 30%. You won't hear the difference provided you stay within the 30% parameter. The Monster banana jacks are the slickest darn things to install you've ever seen. The engineering nullifies the advantages of soddering as they utilize close tollerance screw on design. I just can't say enough about Monster design I guess. This company has got it ALL going on and it's founder has alot of passion for precision and good music.

Sincerely,
Shawn Watson
260-423-2287

Khellandros66

Khellandros66

Banned
if they are in the corners of the room use crown molding and do all four coners and run it up to the speakers stop and then above the speakers

~Bob

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis