G

<font color='#000000'>Question about surround speaker placement. &nbsp;Generally speaking how far back do you want the surround speakers to be from the couch/listening area? How far apart? (these will be in-ceiling speakers, 10ft high) &nbsp;More than likely wil be Klipsch's RCR-5, sounded pretty good and most of all fits the budget. &nbsp;Thanks.</font>

A

av_phile

Senior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>My understanding of those HT articles on the net is that those rear surround speakers shouldn't really be positioned far back of the listener but instead should be on the sides of the listener but just a few inches back and a foot higher than the ear in the listening position.

The &nbsp;center back channel or the added speakers in a 7.1 set-up are the ones to be positioned right at the back of the listener but only a few feet away.</font>

pepar

pepar

Junior Audioholic
<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
Guest : <font color='#000000'>Question about surround speaker placement.  Generally speaking how far back do you want the surround speakers to be from the couch/listening area? How far apart? (these will be in-ceiling speakers, 10ft high)  More than likely wil be Klipsch's RCR-5, sounded pretty good and most of all fits the budget.  Thanks.</font>
<font color='#000000'>The recommendation is that they be somewhere just behind the viewing/listening area a foot or two above ear level. &nbsp;Of course, this advice expects the surrounds to be wall-mounted dipoles. &nbsp;I'm guessing your situation dictates their use, but in-ceiling speakers are a compromise. &nbsp;Nevertheless, keep in mind that surrounds are supposed to create a diffuse soundfield and place them so as best to do that.</font>

Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
<font color='#000000'>I've read that, &quot;ideally&quot;, all speakers should be the same distance from your ears, so basically you draw a circle with yourself at the center and position the speakers on that circle (lots of fun for egomaniacs!) with the rear l. and r. to the side &amp; slightly behind you as said earlier.

Pepar: Just looked at your HT upgrade pages. Cool! I've been dreaming of building a dedicated listening room (music only, not HT) and am always looking for ideas. How will having your pre/pro and sources behind you work out for using your remote control?

And I'm glad to find another Firesign Theater devotee. Shoes for industry!</font>

B

BroonsBane

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>Check this page for speaker placement. I've set mine up as close as possible to this confiiguration and it sounds great. It's the best balance and compromise for music/home theatre that i've tried so far. I don not have my mains toed-in however.

Also, the link to Audio Engineering Society is an interesting, technical read.

http://www.geocities.com/cinepaulis/speaker_setup.htm</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis