Surround speaker suggestion please

S

stacpa17

Audiophyte
I have just updated to a new TV and also purchased an Onkyo TX-NR747. I already have a a pair of Infinity P363 and a C351 center speaker. I just bought a SVS PB-1000 subwoofer. Am using a pair of Bose 201's for the surround speakers but would like to replace them something else. I am budget conscience and $500-600 would be my limit. Infinity RS152? Polk FXI A4? Monitor bronze FX? something else? I realize I am on a slippery slope where I could keep buying and replace the Infinity's but really don't want to do that. Your thoughts are appreciated.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Any decent pair of bookshelf speakers will work fine. I would go for bookshelf speakers over the speakers you mentioned. You might look for some Pioneer SP bookshelf speakers for something decent and affordable

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What is it about the 201s that you want to change? They would function fine as surrounds I'd think....

S

stacpa17

Audiophyte
Actually I am starting to think that myself. Thought I'm missing out on something better.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Actually I am starting to think that myself. Thought I'm missing out on something better.
For most surround sound content in movies/tv I don't think it matters much, perhaps more important for multi-ch music content.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
For most surround sound content in movies/tv I don't think it matters much, perhaps more important for multi-ch music content.
Agreed.

And, if we are talking about multi-channel music, then go with the Primus line of BS speakers to get complete timber matching.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
I used to think the same too, until I put high quality large bookshelf speakers as my surrounds instead of the lousy ones I was using, it was then I realized I really was missing a lot. Unless you watch mainly drama or comedy, there is quite a lot going on in the surrounds, especially complementary to the front lr that may not immediately be localized, and while there is no need for them to be large floor standing monsters, a high quality bookshelf speaker that is worthy of being used as a front L R set is definitely ideal. The same should be true for the center channel, where over 60% of the movies sound, including effects, is mixed into.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I used to think the same too, until I put high quality large bookshelf speakers as my surrounds instead of the lousy ones I was using, it was then I realized I really was missing a lot. Unless you watch mainly drama or comedy, there is quite a lot going on in the surrounds, especially complementary to the front lr that may not immediately be localized, and while there is no need for them to be large floor standing monsters, a high quality bookshelf speaker that is worthy of being used as a front L R set is definitely ideal. The same should be true for the center channel, where over 60% of the movies sound, including effects, is mixed into.
I've used fairly small surrounds in my bedroom successfully (Energy Take 5s), prefer larger ones in my main room but they're still relatively small bookshelf speakers (Ascend 170SE & 200SEs for surrounds/rear surrounds). The 201 he has is a decent sized bookshelf (they're not the acoustimass modules). I'd go with slippery's suggestion that he get the Infinity models to match up with his mains, should he change out the surrounds. YMMV.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis