surround speaker recommendations

H

hifi-dabbler

Enthusiast
I need some recommendations for surround speakers (actually 4x surrounds and 4x height speakers). They will be mounted on/close to the ceiling (don't want them in the ceiling) pointed toward the listening area. This is probably not great for the sound to be that close to the ceiling (acoustic ceiling tiles for the ceiling) but I don't have any side or back walls to put them on (big open area) and they can't go on the floor. Also, I'm looking for something that is not very tall (around 4-5 inches) so they don't come down too far from the ceiling (ceiling is only 7'8"). I was thinking of buying center channels since whatever I buy will probably need to be mounted horizontally. I'm trying to keep the budget at 150-250 per speaker. Any recommendations are appreciated.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
I need some recommendations for surround speakers (actually 4x surrounds and 4x height speakers). They will be mounted on/close to the ceiling (don't want them in the ceiling) pointed toward the listening area. This is probably not great for the sound to be that close to the ceiling (acoustic ceiling tiles for the ceiling) but I don't have any side or back walls to put them on (big open area) and they can't go on the floor. Also, I'm looking for something that is not very tall (around 4-5 inches) so they don't come down too far from the ceiling (ceiling is only 7'8"). I was thinking of buying center channels since whatever I buy will probably need to be mounted horizontally. I'm trying to keep the budget at 150-250 per speaker. Any recommendations are appreciated.
I'd like to offer more input here, but I'm confused at what your objective is. I will take a stab at it anyway.

Surrounds x 4...I assume you are wanting a 7.1 to this point.

Height x 4...I assume you want a 7.1.4 system.

Where I'm getting lost, you say it's a wide open area...no side or back walls. If that is the case...your surrounds and height speakers would be ceiling mounted speakers.

If I'm on the right track so far...my thoughts would be to scrap the 7.1 idea and just go with a 5.1 system...there won't be much appreciative gain with a 7.1 in that configuration. I'm also struggling with the effects of the Atmos or height speakers with your side surrounds also being ceiling mounted. I think you're going to have to solve that via trial and error.

To answer your question...I would keep it simple and go with the Klipsch line.

H

hifi-dabbler

Enthusiast
Thanks for the response. I am doing a 7.1.4, maybe 7.2.4. Regardless of 5.1 or 7.1, I still need a speaker, just more or less of them. I had looked at Klipsch, the RP-140SA or RP-14S. They are a little taller than I was hoping for, at 7.25". Also I'm not sure that they can be ceiling mounted, but it's the height I'm concerned about.

2channel lover

Got it...you're in a tough spot with the low ceiling height not being able to go with in ceiling...surface mountable speakers with depth less than 7.25" is a hard order.

I thought about the SVS Prime elevation speakers, but the depth is probably more I saw where a guy used some Def Tech bipoles as height speakers...idk how it turned out.

H

hifi-dabbler

Enthusiast
Thanks, yeah, it's not easy. So far I think the most compact thing I've found is the Goldenear super sat3C. At the lowest point (below the HVAC main) I have a height of 84".

By the way, nice system. I assume you like those Salks? I'd really like to hear a pair myself, but they are a little pricey for me.

2channel lover

Thanks, yeah, it's not easy. So far I think the most compact thing I've found is the Goldenear super sat3C. At the lowest point (below the HVAC main) I have a height of 84".

By the way, nice system. I assume you like those Salks? I'd really like to hear a pair myself, but they are a little pricey for me.
You might need to think outside of the box a bit.

This might not be the answer, but it's an option.

http://owi-inc.com/703i-surface-mount-speakers.html

My system...thanks.

It's been 20 years in the making...and will probably be my last audio/HT build.

About 3 yrs ago I started getting the itch to replace my aging AV system. I got the wife on board with the budget (after she was properly greased with a new car...lol) and I started the build in Dec 2016. The Salks got here Dec 2017 to put a cap on the build.

The Song3-A and the entire Song3 lineup...yeah they're not cheap but offer incredible value. If you ever get a chance to hear them, I think you will start saving immediately if you really like music.

Good luck with your surround sound project.

H

hifi-dabbler

Enthusiast
Thanks for the responses everyone, much appreciated.

H

hifi-dabbler

Enthusiast
BTW, I've narrowed it down to three:
1) Polk TL3 Center
2) Definitive Technology ProCenter 1000
3) KEF T101C Center

Going to try and listen to each one.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I'd steer away from using center channels for all your speakers. They can introduce their own issues.

I'd think the super zeros turned sideways would be great for you, they're excellent speakers in their own right.

H

hifi-dabbler

Enthusiast
I did look at the NHT speakers but if I aim them a little at the seating area they will be ~7 inches in effective height, the ones I list can be 3"-5". That said, I don;t want to use a center channel if it will create problems. I'm curious though, what problems can centers create?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis