Surround speaker placement in a small, narrow room

M

Mdbent

Audiophyte
Hi all, this is my first post so bare with me. I have specific question on where to place my rear surround speakers. I have a pair of Premier Accoustic PA-6s. They have a woofer on each side and a tweeter in the front with a port. My room is small and narrow. My room is only 9'x16'. The tv will be a corner placement with Polk monitor 40's on each side and a Polk cs1 center under the tv. The couch will be on the long wall which will be on the 16' back wall. My question is: Should I place the speakers directly on either side of the couch facing the listeners or should I mount them on the wall behind the couch. All your input would be a big help. Here's a pic, the couch will be more straight forward to the tv than it looks. Thanks all !

http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/r729/powderman5270/image_zps4572e79f.jpg

Last edited:
fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Go to photobucket and upload the images there and then use the link with the [ IMG] code but without that space.

M

Mdbent

Audiophyte
Thanks fuzz09288. I got the pic uploaded so its in the original post.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Can you take a picture of the other side of the room? Is there any chance you can go the other way with the setup? Being 45ish degrees off center and facing the wrong way is going to put a kink in your neck and may mess with the surround imaging since your right surround is going to be realy close and your left surround is going to be much further away.

M

Mdbent

Audiophyte
Unfortunately that's the only set up. The other side of the room is open and has doorways and a hallway. Where the couch will be in relation to the corner position of the tv is pretty straight forward because of the space only being 9.5'. U will be looking at the tv with little to no neck kink. The pic is a little deceiving. I'm wondering if the surrounds would be more efficient to the sides or mounted above?

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Trial and error is the only way for sure. If neither placement restricts anything and it really doesn't matter which you do trial and error. There is no "right" answer. Theoretically the surrounds should be above ear height and slightly behind. Since you don't have room to go behind and the couch is against the wall anyways just pick which one you like better aesthetically or do trial and error.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis