Surround speaker placement help

K

Kyle Braunlich

Junior Audioholic
I have definitive technology sr9040 bipolar surrounds. I was planing on putting them 2ft above ear level, but don’t know how far apart they are supposed to be. I will be placing them on the back wall. The room is 9ft wide and the seating position is going to be 7-10ft away. Thanks for any help!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Are you doing Atmos ever? If NOT, then 2’ should be good. I would Not place them on the back wall unless you had to. But 9’ is pretty narrow. Usually 6’ tweeter is good for regular non atmos installations.

K

Kyle Braunlich

Junior Audioholic
Are you doing Atmos ever? If NOT, then 2’ should be good. I would Not place them on the back wall unless you had to. But 9’ is pretty narrow. Usually 6’ tweeter is good for regular non atmos installations.
I do have the speakers waiting to be installed for Atmos. What height would you recommend with Atmos in the setup.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I do have the speakers waiting to be installed for Atmos. What height would you recommend with Atmos in the setup.
Normally at ear height. But, if you usually have multiple people on the couch, you can go higher so all people can hear. In the Dolby spec, H1 is mains tweeter height. The surrounds, H2 should be no higher than H1x1.25. You can probably go H1x1.6 or so. So this means a L/R tweeter height of 40” would place surround tweeter height at 50”. H3 doesn’t matter since you can’t change the ceiling height(what’s yours?)
Just try to keep to the 45° ford and aft of the LP. This means if the ceiling is 5’ above your seated ear height, the ceiling speakers should be 5’ in front and back of the LP.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis