Surround Speaker Placement Challenges

R

Reorx

Full Audioholic
I am looking at purchasing and installing a pair of bi/di surround speakers. The difficulty I am having is speaker placement. If you look at the pictures. The only good place for the right side speaker placement is on the pillar. Low enough so that both sides are of equal height. I wanted bi/di pole speakers because we often put a 2nd row of seats behind the couch. My questions are: 1. How will the sound be affect by 1 side being close to the ceiling? 2. Would a absorption panel be necessary to stop the reflections from a surround speaker? 3. How will the sound be affected by the surround speaker being on a pillar, when the other is on the wall. Thoughts? Thanks. Reorx

Attachments

J

jkgsxr

Junior Audioholic
surround.jpgI would not worry about the speaker being too close to the ceiling, also the "pillar" appears in the photo to be a sheet rocked "wall" that makes the corner of two cased openings. I also have a side surround that is mounted close to the ceiling and near a smaller cased opening and have no sound issues. I added a pic of my side surround.

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Neither of those is a worst case scenario, but the one with just the pillar loses part of the effect by not having enough wall to diffuse the sound out into the room but it should still work once properly calibrated. Somewhat close to the ceiling isn't an issue as that adds to the diffusion IMO, so that side should not be an issue at all.

R

Reorx

Full Audioholic
Awesome. Thank you both for the quick response. Now I just need to pick out 4 speakers, and a new receiver. Thanks again.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis