Surround sound cable management

M

Mulley2472

Enthusiast
I recently finished prewiring my basement for a 5.1 in wall speaker surround sound and I have all of the wiring going to my receiver that is going to sit on a shelf in a storage area underneath my stairs. I basically have all of the speakers wires coming together in the storage area and running down to where the receiver will be. Any better ideas for cable management? I haven't hung the dry wall yet

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
DO NOT cut them to the exact length needed to connect them to the receiver. If you do, you may immediately find that you'll need to move the receiver for unknown reasons and at that time, you'll come to the realization that you can't stretch cables.

You may find that dropping the cables next to the receiver's shelf works better- the whole bundle won't be behind the receiver, but you will want to provide some kind of support for the excess, to prevent the weight causing stress to the receiver. Conduit clamps work great for this, as does 1" Velcro straps, screwed to the wall.

Look for lacing bars- they're used in the metal equipment racks that have 19" spacing for the screws that hold the equipment and shelves in place. Securing cables in a rack in an organized manner is called 'lacing the rack' because they used to use string similar to a shoe lace.

http://www.parts-express.com/cat/rack-lacing-bars-and-strips/615

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis