Surround/back speaker matching with mains?

B

Bone-Head

Junior Audioholic
I am currently in the buying phase of speakers and decisions have to be made here eventually. My situation is unique because i pre-ordered the Anthem MRX 1140 receiver & MCA 325 GEN2 amplifier. I am interested in the JBL HDI 3800’s & 4500 (4ohm) which would be driven by the external amplifier. However the receiver would need to drive the backs and or surround speakers. I’m not sure how many at this point. The dilemma is this. The JBL HDI 1600’s bookshelves are 4ohm. I contacted ANTHEM on their website and the response I got was that the recommendation was not to use the receiver and use another amp designed for those type of loads. The “reps” choice of words were different than what I wrote, but translated to what I said basically. So have a choice to get the 5 channel external amp instead of the 3 channel(don’t think I will), not get the JBL HDI series at all, or choose another back/surround speaker brand in 8ohm driven by the Anthem receiver. Could I use the Revel Performa3 S206 or something like that with the JBL HDI fronts/center? FYI, I’ve also considered the Revel Performa3 series(f208 & match everything else) but my only concern was if I had enough power due to their lower efficiency rating. I like to crank it up and can’t help wonder if what I pre-ordered would allow the f208’s to handle AC/DC at enjoyably loud levels. I’m starting to understand why Klipsch sells so many speakers, they make it easy. Thanks for your help

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I’m surprised such an expensive model avr cannot handle 4 ohm speakers , think Onkyo 818 could and some midrange amps from 8 years ago .
Jbl makes a large variety of speakers find anything 6 ohms or greater ?

I’ve not owned revel wait see if anyone knows more.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis