surge protector question

M

marky

Junior Audioholic
i have a Tripp Lite isobar home/business supressor (HT10DBS) rated at 12amps connected to the following:

sony wega 32''
yamaha 2400
dvd player
polk audio psw404
tivo box

will this be too much? i have another surge protector but its cheap rca one, should i connect some of it to that?
thanks

M

Mr.T

Audioholic
marky said:
i have a Tripp Lite isobar home/business supressor (HT10DBS) rated at 12amps connected to the following:

sony wega 32''
yamaha 2400
dvd player
polk audio psw404
tivo box

will this be too much? i have another surge protector but its cheap rca one, should i connect some of it to that?
thanks
Look at the back of each unit, there should be the rated AMPS, add them up and the total shoul be 10 Amps allowing a margine of 2 amps to be on the safe side.

It looks to me as if that surge protector strip you are using is not good enough for the equipment you have, and adding another cheap strip to spread out the load is not a good idea. You might be better off to buy another that will withstand the load.

Attachments

Last edited:
Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
The 2400 has it's own protection. In the manual, it states to plug the unit DIRECTLY into the wall. :)

M

Mr.T

Audioholic
Most HT receivers have protection circuits (circuit breakers or fuses).
You can plug any piece of equipment directly to a wall outlet including computers and they will work, but they will not be protected from AC voltage fluctuations and current spikes, that's why you need a voltage suppressor multi outlet strip.

That's why Marky is using the Triplite isobar suppressor strip, to protect all of his equipment.
http://www.yamaha.com/yec/customer/manuals/Rx-V2400_U.pdf

Attachments

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
I have most of my equipment hooked into one also. BUT, my RX-V1400, NHT SW-12, and Adcom 7605 all say to plug DIRECTLY to a wall outlet. :) And so, all of that equipment is pluged directly into the wall.

T

tjs

Enthusiast
marky
if u are really concerned about your equipment then you need current protection and overvoltage protection. they are two different issues,many electric companies are starting to provide this premium service. typically there is an installation fee and a monthly fee. go to www.cl-p.com to get info.
surge protection(current) is installed at the main breaker and voltage protection is installed at each outlet as needed via the outlet strip.

your strip is rated at 12amps but is probably 15amp breaker and should be able to handle the 12amps fine. worst case the breaker blows but you should only use 80% of the breakers rating by code.

question is, is the wall outlet 15amp or 20amp if it's 20 then install another strip to split the load, outlet amps is embossed on the outlet.
one more important thing DON"T BUY CHEAP STRIPS. :D

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
marky said:

sony wega 32''
yamaha 2400
dvd player
polk audio psw404
tivo box

thanks
Is that 12 A continuous?
I doubt your system as described will be a problem. The TV is a pretty much a constant draw, maybe 2A. Tivo is fractions of amp as is the DVD player.
When will your Yam2400 and sub be at full power both simultaneously? Never.

T

threewheel42

Audioholic Intern
surge supressor solution

One better solution than the various power strip supressors is a whole house surge supressor. These cost about $200 at Home Depot and are wired into your system at your main breaker box. My local electrician installed in about an hour. Gives one piece of mind with computers, HT etc all strewn about the house.

T

tjs

Enthusiast
threewheel-check the specs but i think it's for current only and not voltage so u may need the voltage also.
i work for a utility co and they sell a package that is inline at the meter and i believe 2 outlet strips. ;)

S

steven78

Audiophyte
Stay away from whole house surge protectors that use MOV's. Even in surge strips the MOV's that are used to stop surgers usually only last a few years at most or on average 1000 surges. The problem is that it is impossible to know what voltage manufactures of surge protectors consider a surge. then best method of surger protection are gas filled tube but, they react slowlyor you could use Silicon Avalanche Diodes (SADs) which imho are the best. You will almost never find SAD's in consumer products. Power filters work great but surge protectors are expendable items.

T

threewheel42

Audioholic Intern
surge suppressors

I tend to be somewhat anal about these things and tend to run surge suppressor strips in addition to the main. I also have surge suppressor wall outlets for my computers.

S

sjdgpt

Senior Audioholic
having survived a lightning strike at my house, I am a "voice of experience".

Surge protectors are wonderful :D :D :D .

Just remember, surge protectors are needed on every electrical device, and on EVERY wire coming into the house.

My lightning strike was at the transformer on the power pole at the road. Three neighbors and my house were all fed by that power pole.

We were able to track the path of the power surge by the equipment items that were damaged.

Nearly every microwaves, telephones etc that were not on surge protectors in these 4 houses were fried. Insurance company loved that claim, one company had all 4 houses. A little hard to deny the claim with transformer parts strewn about the neighborhood.

My complete computer system was saved by one of those cheap WallyWorld surge protectors. But my stereo equipment which shared the same surge protector as the computer system, had a little problem because the surge protectors did not have a coaxial connection. :(

The lightning traveled down the cable line coming into the house, burned out the cable junction box at the exterior of the house, traveled down the cable wire into the back of my monitor.

Toshiba made a wonderful monitor. But it could not take a direct strike without some damage. The CABLE IN and CABLE OUT connections as well as the internal wiring between those connections were fried.

The Sony BetaMax took the direct hit with absolutely NO damage. Says something about Sony doesn't it?

But the NAD preamp was fried, total loss. (Cable into TV, out to VCR, VCR out to preamp).

Not bad for just a little lightning.

My advice.... you can never have enough surge protectors. Just make sure to have a surge protector on every circuit coming into the equipment.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis