Sunfire sub recomendation?

T

todda1

Audiophyte
I'm in the market for a sub and the choice is between the Super Jr., and the True. I'd obviosly like the larger unit, but price is a factor. Do you think the Jr. will cut it? I'm sceptical, but then again, what I read about the subs is pretty impressive; there's only 2 dbs difference between them.

The room's dimensions are approx 13' wide x 23' deep x 7' high (split level home). The sub will need to match a set of Energy Veritas 2.1s and 2.0c. I don't blast the stereo too often and will mainly turn it up when watching movies.

Has anybody owned the Jr. and needed to upgrade or buy another? Thanks for any input.

-Todd

J

JP_Silver_S2k

Audioholic Intern
EQ, Sunfire makes a great product and subs, but the super Jr is cursed ive seen tons of these returned. If you want a strong powerful sub and great quality go to the EQ!

P

Privateer

Full Audioholic
todda1 did you look at anyother subs or are you sold on the sunfire?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
todda1 said:
I'm in the market for a sub and the choice is between the Super Jr., and the True. I'd obviosly like the larger unit, but price is a factor. Do you think the Jr. will cut it? I'm sceptical, but then again, what I read about the subs is pretty impressive; there's only 2 dbs difference between them.

The room's dimensions are approx 13' wide x 23' deep x 7' high (split level home). The sub will need to match a set of Energy Veritas 2.1s and 2.0c. I don't blast the stereo too often and will mainly turn it up when watching movies.

Has anybody owned the Jr. and needed to upgrade or buy another? Thanks for any input.

-Todd
Check out the current issue of Sound & Vision. One of the Sunfire is in there. Not very good. Lots of distortion where harmonics are louder than the fundamental giving a false impression.

Consider an SVS sub? Prices are very similar and a whole lot better.
Or, go with one of the other small subs reviewed in that S&V issue.

D

dis

Junior Audioholic
I was helping a friend chose a sub just last month we visited a store that caried Sunfire, Paradigm and Klipsch.

We both had the sunfire on our minds, I mean c'mon 2700watts! Anyway, we first auditioned the Paradigm Seismic 10 and for the money I though it was quite good although it wasn't outputing the level of bass I'm used to. We asked about hooking up the Sunfire he had a Junior in store which cost about the same as the Seismic-10. The sales rep said not to bother with the Sunfire's as they tend to jump around alot (a design error), he also mentioned that they weren't as musical as some of the other subs the were selling.

Next we auditioned a Klipsch Reference RSW-15 and while I've never been a fan of Klipsch (hate those horn tweeters) the sub literally blew us away. After A/B-ing the Seismic-10 against it there was no comparing the two. I never though a 15 could be so well controlled, very music but also packed a slam.

In the end for $2000 CDN he purchased the RSW-15, the Seismic-10 and Junior were both in the neigborhood of $1500 CDN.

Hope this helps, cheers!

T

todda1

Audiophyte
Appreciate the replies, guys, but I just bought a used Sunfire True off Ebay. The seller had newer drivers, updated the circuit/power board and had to replace the cabinet last year, because he didn't pack it properly.... I'm hoping that it's the bing cherry finish; that's one thing I forgot to ask.

He has the work orders to back it up, and I ended up picking it up for approx $530 shipped. I rationalized I got a rebuilt sub and if I don't like it, I can probably get out of it for near (or all of) what I paid.

I wish I had the money for the "EQ" model, but I don't and I very rarely see used models showing up. I'll have to buy a spl meter and test disc and see what's up with my room. I've never run a sub in a home system, so this should be interesting... I'm new at this.

I wasn't sold on Sunfire, but from what I've read, there seems to be little said that would deter my choice, and I wanted to stay around $500-$600. A new Super Jr. would have been near that, and if it fit the bill. I would have been fine with it, although I'm sceptical what (2) 7" drivers and 120 watts continuous could achieve.

I also considered the Paradigm PS-1000, but it's rather large.... I don't know if I would have been able to properly place it without it sticking out like a sore thumb. The size of the Sunfires, helped to sway my decision.

What's a SVS... a Hsu sub? Do you know what model they tested out of curiosity, not that it matters now?

Once again, I appreciate the replies, and I'm sure I'll be posting about setting it up when my POS Sony STR-2000ES gets out of the shop.

-Todd

P.S., I never got any e-mail notification that replies were posted... I had instant e-mail notification marked... any ideas?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

dis said:
, I mean c'mon 2700watts! !
Yep, good question :D
Many years ago, Dr Hsu, the one and only, used to post on the net, commented on that ridiculous claim.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

todda1 said:
Appreciate the replies, guys, but I just bought a used Sunfire True off Ebay. The seller had newer drivers, updated the circuit/power board and had to replace the cabinet last year, because he didn't pack it properly.... I'm hoping that it's the bing cherry finish; that's one thing I forgot to ask.

He has the work orders to back it up, and I ended up picking it up for approx $530 shipped. I rationalized I got a rebuilt sub and if I don't like it, I can probably get out of it for near (or all of) what I paid.

I wish I had the money for the "EQ" model, but I don't and I very rarely see used models showing up. I'll have to buy a spl meter and test disc and see what's up with my room. I've never run a sub in a home system, so this should be interesting... I'm new at this.

I wasn't sold on Sunfire, but from what I've read, there seems to be little said that would deter my choice, and I wanted to stay around $500-$600. A new Super Jr. would have been near that, and if it fit the bill. I would have been fine with it, although I'm sceptical what (2) 7" drivers and 120 watts continuous could achieve.

I also considered the Paradigm PS-1000, but it's rather large.... I don't know if I would have been able to properly place it without it sticking out like a sore thumb. The size of the Sunfires, helped to sway my decision.

What's a SVS... a Hsu sub? Do you know what model they tested out of curiosity, not that it matters now?

Once again, I appreciate the replies, and I'm sure I'll be posting about setting it up when my POS Sony STR-2000ES gets out of the shop.

-Todd
todda1 said:
Yes, it was the Sunfire Super Junior.
No or not enough output at 25Hz to be posted in the measurements. Average spl is 97 dB, not much, max is 102 dB at 63Hz.

P.S., I never got any e-mail notification that replies were posted... I had instant e-mail notification marked... any ideas?

I don't use that feature but there is a box below the reply post to be notified, separate from the instant email stuff ;)

T

todda1

Audiophyte
Well, I'm glad I didn't go with the Jr.; thanks.

I have no clue as to what I did different, but I received an e-mail notification this time... go figure?

-Todd

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis