Sunfire Dominator by Bob Carver 1000w subwoofer

R

ragged

Senior Audioholic
Never heard them play, but I presume any sub that claims 1000w has got to have some base.

"Dateline: January 30, 2006. Due to legal issues involving the use of the "Bob Carver" name in product advertising, the parent company of Dominator (Sunfire) has decided to stop production of the Dominator line. Therefore, we are clearing out these subwoofers at special low prices. Please note that the warranty for these subs will continue to be honored by Sunfire."

http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/productdetail.asp?sku=DOMD10&product_name=Dominator Woofers by Bob Carver

12" 599
10" 499
8" sold out

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
38 pounds shipped for a 1000 watt, 12 inch sub ?? my $200 125 watt Velodyne 10 incher weighs 45 out of the box.... Can you really get 18 Hz with that small a magnet ??:confused: :confused: :confused:

R

ragged

Senior Audioholic
Bob Carver is supposedly top notch. I'm not familiar with him so I'm hoping someone here can enlighten me.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
My SVS PB-10 was 60lbs and was only a 10" with 300w. For a small, sealed enclosure with big excursion, you NEED a ton of power to get the output. I doubt it has a lot of output at 18Hz, but it seems reasonable if it is well designed.

I used to have a Carver 10" sub back before Sunfire. Pretty good stuff and they repaired it even after the warranty was out.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
You have to remember that box is tiny. It also uses a Class D amp, which it alot smaller and lighter then a class AB.

SheepStar

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
The Sunfire's I've demo'd had huge Xmax, but a lot of port chuffing, and very little output at low Hz with HT. I was not at all impressed with the results of any of the Sunfires compared to similar priced, larger subs.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Buckeyefan 1 said:
The Sunfire's I've demo'd had huge Xmax, but a lot of port chuffing, and very little output at low Hz with HT. I was not at all impressed with the results of any of the Sunfires compared to similar priced, larger subs.
Derr, all sunfire subwoofers use passive rads or sealed boxes....

SheepStar

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Sheep said:
Derr, all sunfire subwoofers use passive rads or sealed boxes....

SheepStar
So you're saying subwoofers that use passive radiators and sealed boxes have huge Xmax, lots of port chuffing, and very little output at low Hz with HT? Please clarify your statement.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Buckeyefan 1 said:
So you're saying subwoofers that use passive radiators and sealed boxes have huge Xmax, lots of port chuffing, and very little output at low Hz with HT? Please clarify your statement.
No no,

YOU said the sunfires have lots of port chuffing, but they use sealed or passive rads. How do those designs chuffle? :confused:

SheepStar

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Sheep said:
No no,

YOU said the sunfires have lots of port chuffing, but they use sealed or passive rads. How do those designs chuffle? :confused:

SheepStar
You're right - my bad. No ports = no chuffing. I meant to say flutter. You can actually hear the surround when it reaches maximum excursion creating a terrible fluttering sound. Obviously, this can be limited by proper setup. The small Sunfire sub was trying to keep up with large Velodyne subs in a massive open room, so is was not a fair comparison. My beef is that Sunfire should not charge the huge pricetag it does for lack of output. In a smaller room, they may be fine. The subs listed at the beginning of the thread seem to be a nice find, especially with the massive plate amplifiers. I'd be interested in demoing that 12" sub. It looks like a nice matchup to the Titanic 12". What's up with the legal issues?

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Buckeyefan 1 said:
You're right - my bad. No ports = no chuffing. I meant to say flutter. You can actually hear the surround when it reaches maximum excursion creating a terrible fluttering sound. Obviously, this can be limited by proper setup. The small Sunfire sub was trying to keep up with large Velodyne subs in a massive open room, so is was not a fair comparison. My beef is that Sunfire should not charge the huge pricetag it does for lack of output. In a smaller room, they may be fine. The subs listed at the beginning of the thread seem to be a nice find, especially with the massive plate amplifiers. I'd be interested in demoing that 12" sub. It looks like a nice matchup to the Titanic 12". What's up with the legal issues?
No prob.

Yeah a 7inch sub will have a hard time in a closet. Theres a limit as to small you can go. Deftech is the same way.

SheepStar

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I heard the 12" model briefly this weekend. It is a good sub for the price. I heard it in a relatively large 20x15 room, open to a large kitchen and it had some oomph to it. It did not have quite the tactile feel of my former PB-10 in a similar sized space, but output was close and the sub is about half the size of the PB-10 (but the PB-10 costs less and goes lower). I'm going to get a better listen to it either this weekend or the next when I go back to calibrate and dial in this system. I'll post a better impression once I've spent some time with it and run some additional material on it.

I also heard the deal would not last from my buddy, which is what he was told when he ordered it, so those who are interested better get one while they last.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis