C

CyrusTalon

Audioholic Intern
Ok, so I'm about ready to end it all. I've spent countless hrs setting up all my equipment and double checking the connections. Here's my story:

I bought a brand new JBL surround speaker system, Yamaha receiver, LG dvd player, etc. I used oxy free 16 awg speaker wire.

After everything was set up, I noticed that sometimes one of my surrounds buzzed. After swapping it out with the other speakers, I confirmed / eliminated the possibility of it being the wiring, or that channel on the receiver, as the other speakers WOULD NOT buzz when under the same conditions. It wouldn't buzz loudly when watching tv, or on some dvd movies, but when the sounds were just right, it would almost buzz itself to death.

So I took the speaker back to BestBuy, and the Geek squad there tested it in their surround set up. Indeed, the tech and I could hear a very faint buzzing when they played some music through it. So they sent it off to their service center for repair. It came back the other day, claiming that is was normal, and they didn't fix it as there was no problem. The tech a BestBuy disagrees, so he is taking that up with them.

Anyway, I came home today just to relax and chill out. SO I put on some music via a CD playing in my dvd player. WOULDN'T YOU BELIEVE IT:...ALL of my speakers are now buzzing loudly. :mad: :mad: :mad: So I runs some tests, and found that when I play the THX sound tests (from the THX site) at very loud volume, my speakers DO NOT buzz. But with ANY OTHER sound, they buzz.

I checked the + and - on all my speaker wires: OK
Checked all settings on receiver: OK
Checked everything else I could think of...

I AM GOING TO LOSE MY MIND HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HELP :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
What speakers specifically, and how do you have the receiver setup? (large or small for the speakers) Do you have a sub?

FierceTIMbo17

FierceTIMbo17

Audioholic
When you get this buzzing wha are you listening to? I noticed when streaming music from my pc or listening to an mp3 cd i get a faint buzz that i did not hear with any other of dvd-a sacd maybe it the quality of music, could be wrong here but hey

majorloser

majorloser

Is it possible there's some sort of RF interference or maybe a poor ground problem? These kind of problems can be caused by electrical motors on the same circuit.

just a thought

EDIT: a simple test is to run an extension cord from another circuit to the receiver and see if it's still there.

BTW- can I get your stuff if you do kill yourself? :)

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
A buzz results from many areas. A faulty amp, ground loop, loose interconnects, interference due to poor cables, the source, etc. will cause buzz.

If you are getting the buzz on all sources, it might be the receiver's amp.
If you are getting the buzz on all sources, it might be ground loop.
If you are getting the buzz on one source, check all wiring for that source.
If you are getting the buzz intermittently on one source, you have a loose/ bad contact on cabling for that source.
If you are getting the buzz intermittently on all sources, you have a loose/ bad power or speaker wire.

C

CyrusTalon

Audioholic Intern
Ok:
j_garcia, I have the JBL SCS145.5 Surround Speaker System. These are small speakers, so I have my Receiver set to small.

FierceTIMbo17, I have done some more testing. Here is what I have found: Under consistent conditions, Original CDs (store purchased albums, etc) produce the least amount of buzzing, then next comes Audio CDs I have burned myself (on these cds, bitrate and quality of my audio tracks doesnt seem to matter: 192kbps and 320kbps mp3s sound the same), and lastly in quality, a simply data cd that I copied mp3 files on (I can use my dvd player to access the folders and play the files inside). HOWEVER, I still cannot get the THX or Dolby tests tracks (tried several of each versions) to produce the buzzing...maybe this doesn't matter? (or have anything to do with my problem).

Also, along these lines, I have the following settings for sound processing on my receiver: Pro Logic, Pro Logic Enhanced, Pro Logic II, Pro Logic II Movie, Pro Logic II Music, I find that when playing the same sound, the buzzing increases in the same order of modes as just listed, with Pro Logic having minimal buzz, and Pro Logic II Music having the most buzz. But I think this might be due only to the volume increase, as I really cannot tell ANY difference between these modes other than one being louder than the other...???

Majorloser, I shouldn't have a ground or RF problem. My full system and all components are plugged into a Monster Power Center, which in turn is on a totally seperate electrical circuit of my home. Nothing else runs off of this circuit other than the Monster Power Centre with all of my components.

Argowalro, First off, do I have an "amp" (excuse my stupidity)?? What is a "ground loop"?? I don't think loose interconnects (I really don't know what these are) is it, because I am using optical cables???

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
CyrusTalon said:
Also, along these lines, I have the following settings for sound processing on my receiver: Pro Logic, Pro Logic Enhanced, Pro Logic II, Pro Logic II Movie, Pro Logic II Music, I find that when playing the same sound, the buzzing increases in the same order of modes as just listed
Given the order you've stated it sounds as if the interference is coming in through the surround speaker wires. Are they possibly near a power line?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Having a power center does not preclude you from ground loop, I have a Panamax 5100 and I still had ground loop (even with the cable running through the 5100), but that doesn't sound like your problem. The cable company had to fix my issue.

What x-over are you using with these speakers? Try setting it to the highest it will go. With those speakers, I would think you'll want them at 120Hz or 150Hz, which are generally the highest most receivers with adjustable x-overs have. The buzzing you may hear could simply be the speakers trying to reproduce frequencies they are physically not capable of. With the very small speakers in this system, this would be my first thought, which may explain why it only happens in specific instances.

How about DVDs? Are you using a digital connection for DD/DTS?

racquetman

racquetman

Audioholic Chief
Sounds to me like you are having issues with the matrix surround modes (pro logic II music and movie, etc. . . .). You don't hear the buzzing with the test tones because these are discrete signals being sent to the individual speakers. When you try to play a source that is inherently 2 channel, the receiver's processing creates matrixed surround sound based on the stereo signal. It's possible that your surround modes aren't functioning properly, or you have something setup wrong in your receiver (like the channel levels for your speakers). Keep in mind that the THX sounds may not induce buzzing because they are only at a certain frequency.

I would try disengaging the surround modes, and just listen to a CD in a 2 channel direct mode. When you do this, do you still hear buzzing in the surround speakers? Do you hear buzzing from the left/right speakers this way?

I would also try unplugging things from the Monster power center as this may be the cause of the buzzing.

C

CyrusTalon

Audioholic Intern
Nomosony, do you mean power line as in the power cables of my dvd palyer, receiver, tv, etc?? If so, then yes. I did hear from somebody once that it is not good to run speaker wire alongside power cables for any great length, and I have tried to avoid this as much as possible, but there are a few spots were my speaker wires are beside some power cables. Only for about 4 feet near my receiver where they go into the back.

j_garcia, As far as the ground loop, how could I go about elimitating and solving this? As for "x-over" what is that exactly? I believe it is the frequency limit where sound is sent to the sub instead of the speakers. Correct? If so, I have no idea what it is set on. Is this something I can go into my receiver menu and adjust?

As far as DVDs, it buzzes while playing ALL dvd's. HOWEVER, it DOES NOT buzz if the dvd is only playing sound or dialog. It only buzzes where music is being played in a scene. Due to the "fuller" sound (wider frequency)???? It WILL NOT buzz during the talking parts, of during an action secuence for example when there is lots of sound effects, and NO music. It does not buzz during these parts NO MATTER how loud the volume is....strange?! For example, when I tried the Ultraviolet movie, I really thought I was getting attacked by a swarm of 100,000,000 african killer bees. But during Star Wars: A New Hope (a lot of talking and sound effects) it was only as if my usual housefly was trapped in the blinds...

As far as using a digital connection, Yes. ALL sound inputs (cable box & dvd player) are via Optical cables.

???????????????????????????????????????

C

CyrusTalon

Audioholic Intern
Alandamp, will try your suggestions and get back with you here in the morning.

Thanks everyone...

...but my gun is still loaded...

:p :p

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
X-over = Crossover, the point at which your smaller speakers are blended with the sub. The main speakers have lower frequencies removed from them little by little as you move away from the crossover point, and those frequencies are sent to the sub. Small speakers need to have a higher crossover because they cannot reproduce lower frequencies - though they will still try to. This results in a lot of cone movement as the driver tries to reproduce the sound, which can result in a sort of "fuzzy" sound.

Does it happen at any volume or only when you have it turned up?

C

CyrusTalon

Audioholic Intern
Alandamp,

Yes, the buzzing is sill there even when I set my receiver to only 2 speakers (front L & R)... although, I did notice something strange: When I have my receiver set to 5.1, and I put a dvd in the player, it plays as 5.1. But if I put a music cd into the dvd player, the receiver automatically takes away the other speaker symbols on its display, and only shows the front L & R icons, HOWEVER, it still plays the music cd out of ALL 5 speakers...?!?!?

I tried plugging both the dvd player and receiver into seperate outlets (not through power center) and it still buzzes...

The Dukester,

I am confused about this ground loop stuff: it mentions 3 prog plugs. ALL of my equipment (tv, pvr, receiver, dvd) only have 2 plugs. And besides, I am using optical cables to input sound from the pvr and dvd player into the receiver. How could ground loop affect me, seeing as I don't seem to have a ground anywhere?

Should I just take my receiver back to BestBuy???

C

CyrusTalon

Audioholic Intern
j_garcia said:
X-over = Crossover, the point at which your smaller speakers are blended with the sub. Small speakers need to have a higher crossover because they cannot reproduce lower frequencies - though they will still try to. This results in a lot of cone movement as the driver tries to reproduce the sound, which can result in a sort of "fuzzy" sound.

Does it happen at any volume or only when you have it turned up?

The buzzing happens at ALL volumes, but DOES NOT happen at ANY volume if the sound is only effects or dialog. Music is where the buzzing happens.

C

CyrusTalon

Audioholic Intern
I cannot find ANYTHING in my receiver's menu or in the manual for setting this crossover...

But I think this is what is adjusted when I set the speaker size on the receiver (small or large). Also, I can set whether bass sounds are sent only to the swf or to the front speakers and the sub. Of course, I have it set to send all bass sounds to the sub.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
What you should take back are your speakers, not the receiver, IMO. Then come back here and let us know how much you have to spend on speakers and we can help you find the best ones to match your budget and needs.

When you play a CD, which are essentially ALL stereo (there are a few exceptions), your receiver will generally try to "choose" a simulated surround mode (DSP) for you to listen in. You can simply choose stereo if you like.

If there is no option for setting the x-over, then it is a fixed one. Setting some or all of your speakers to small enables the x-over for those speakers. Did you tell us which receiver?

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
CyrusTalon said:
Argowalro, First off, do I have an "amp" (excuse my stupidity)?? What is a "ground loop"??
Yes you have an "amp". In your case it is built into the receiver. It is the same as the external amplifier in the situation when someone has seperate pre/pro and dedicated amp.

Here is the ground loop article from this site, Ground Loop

A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief
Do you have a different set of speakers to test with?

C

CyrusTalon

Audioholic Intern
j_garcia, I have a Yamaha HTR-5830 AV Receiver

I don't see why the speakers should be a problem. Is is that they are JBL brand? I assumed these were ok... Are they just bad quality, or do you think I just got a bad set? When I did take my initial buzzing speaker in to get fixed (still under warranty) the guy in the BestBuy home theatre department said he had gotten several of these bad speakers back... Is there an inherant problem with this particular JBL system???

abboudc, Unfortunately I do not have another set of speakers to test with. I suppose I could go buy another set to test, and then return them... I guess??

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis