Suggetion for Speakers and Subwoofer ($3000-$3500)

M

ManishKasera

Junior Audioholic
Hi,

I read so many threads about speakers and subwoofer advice but still I thought it'll be better if I can start new thred with complete details. As someone (or many) said here bug of upgrade has bitten me.

I have currently following equipment connected to my HT:
Receiver : YAMAHA RXV-2500
Speakers : Atlantic Technology System 4.5
Subwoofer : Atlantic Technology PBM-45
TV : Samsung 30" HDTV
DVD Player : SONY
VCR : SONY

Overall system works really good. But speakers have lowest frequency handling of 125Hz. So I'm missing quite a lot on lower end, my subwoofer crossover is set to 160 Hz. I know that is twice the limit suggested by THX.

Now I'm thinking of upgrading my system. I like my Receiver it has all the features I need.

Could you experience PRO guys out there suggest the whole 5.1 system within the budget of $3,000-$3,500.

I'm using my HT almost >95% for watching movies. The system is currently in a room of 15'X17', but sooner or later I'll move it to a bigger room.

So far following are some of the options I was thinking of but could not decide on it.
Option#1:
FL/FR : Paradigm Studio S60 v3
C : Paradigm CC470/CC570
RL/RR : PSB B25/ PSB Image S50
Suwoofer : SVS PB12-Plus/PB12-Plus/2 or Axiom EP500

Option#2:
FL/FR : Axiom M60ti
C : Axiom VP150
RL/RR : Axiom QS8
Suwoofer : Axiom EP500

Option#3:
FL/FR : PSB Image T65
C : PSB Image C40/60

Option#4:
FL/FR : KEF XQ5
C : KEF XQ2c
RL/RR : KEF XQ1

I'm open for any other suggetion for good, so please help me here to make the system of my Dream.

Note: I want a Subwoofer that can work on 110V-230V power range as I can move to any other place in the world.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I havent heard the speakers mentioned in option4

ManishKasera said:
Hi,

I read so many threads about speakers and subwoofer advice but still I thought it'll be better if I can start new thred with complete details. As someone (or many) said here bug of upgrade has bitten me.

I have currently following equipment connected to my HT:
Receiver : YAMAHA RXV-2500
Speakers : Atlantic Technology System 4.5
Subwoofer : Atlantic Technology PBM-45
TV : Samsung 30" HDTV
DVD Player : SONY
VCR : SONY

Overall system works really good. But speakers have lowest frequency handling of 125Hz. So I'm missing quite a lot on lower end, my subwoofer crossover is set to 160 Hz. I know that is twice the limit suggested by THX.

Now I'm thinking of upgrading my system. I like my Receiver it has all the features I need.

Could you experience PRO guys out there suggest the whole 5.1 system within the budget of $3,000-$3,500.

I'm using my HT almost >95% for watching movies. The system is currently in a room of 15'X17', but sooner or later I'll move it to a bigger room.

So far following are some of the options I was thinking of but could not decide on it.
Option#1:
FL/FR : Paradigm Studio S60 v3
C : Paradigm CC470/CC570

Option#2:
FL/FR : Axiom M60ti
C : Axiom VP150
RL/RR : Axiom QS8
Suwoofer : Axiom EP500

Option#3:
FL/FR : PSB Image T65
C : PSB Image C40/60

Option#4:
FL/FR : KEF XQ5
C : KEF XQ2c
RL/RR : KEF XQ1

I'm open for any other suggetion for good, so please help me here to make the system of my Dream.

Note: I want a Subwoofer that can work on 110V-230V power range as I can move to any other place in the world.

but out of those options, I strongly lean towards option3 having PSBs Image T45s, Image 8C and Image 1Bs . I love the PSB sound and you'll have a hard time beating the imaging capabilities of this series. They are phenomenal

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
HT options

I think it is a win/win situation with any of those systems. You might also consider adding an RBH Sound or Onix rocket system to your audition list.

For option #1, I would substitue Paradigm MiniMonitors or dipoles for the surrounds for a better tonal match with the fronts.

You might consider buying/borrowing the fronts from 2 or 3 of the options for an extended audition in your room. Decide for yourself what sounds best to your ears in your room. Axiom has a great return policy, and you might be able to get loner PSBs, Paridigms, or KEFs from a local dealer, especially if you plan to spend that kind of money.

M

ManishKasera

Junior Audioholic
Thanks for comments and suggestions.
JcPanny, I thought for adding RBH in my list depending upon all the great reveiws at Audioholics and everywhere else, the only problem is I could find any delater in Richardson, Dallas area who have them in stock for listening expirience. Could you suggest any configuration of RBH.
Regarding Onix I'll check there site.

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
my vote would be for the Paradigm setup, those studios are amazing. Also agree with an above post on using a full paradigm setup with the rear speakers so that it all matches. Any setup you chose off that list you should be very happy with

M

ManishKasera

Junior Audioholic
Just got a reply from SVS and they do not have universal power supply in there subs, although they are offering me that they can swap it for me while I decide to move. But I'll have to bear shipping.
So could you suggest good subs <$1200 who have following:
1. Earthshaking effect
2. Goes really low
3. Universal power supply
4. last but not the least LOOKS.
I know Axiom EP500 have universal power supply. But different people have different opinion about them, and I do not have any expirience with them.

M

ManishKasera

Junior Audioholic
Stiff and 3db, I thought about using the ADP but they are very expensive.
Studio 60 v3 + CC470 itself is costing me ~$2400. So if I add ADP they will be way over budget.
I'm already negotiating with my wife about budget so I doubt she will let me go over $3000 for the complete setup.

K

kgb540

Audioholic
I would suggest an Earthquake SuperNova MKV-12, or if your lucky you can find a deal on a MKV-15 for around $1200 new. Those are tremendous subs that go very, very low, play as loud as you'll ever be able to stand and come in some attractive finishes (gloss black, burl, cherry, etc...). They do not take up much floor space either. The MK-V12 I think is a 15X15X15 cube.

nova

nova

Full Audioholic
ManishKasera said:
Could you suggest any configuration of RBH.
Regarding Onix I'll check there site.
1. Three 661-SE Two 66-SE and get a sub another day :D
2. Two 61-SE, One 661-SE, 2 44-SE and SVS PB12-Plus
3. Three MC-616C, Two MC-6C, SVS PB12-Plus/2

Personally I really like the 616C, set up as it compares very favorably with the 661-SE for quite a bit less. Well,... I'm kinda hard pressed to hear the difference.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
I whole heartedly recommend option 2.

Cant comment on the EP500 from personal experience, but it does have a good rep in the forums.

B

Buckeye_Nut

Audioholic Field Marshall
I also have a 'movie lover'' setup, and for your price range, I dont think anything remotely compares to the new Klipsch because they offer a tremoundous bang for the buck. I've recently done a lot of shopping and I didnt think anything came close at this price point. The new Klipsch have a very detailed and refined sound to them and they're perfect for movies. I only comment on their movie performance because like yourself, I never use my system for music.

My suggestion would be to find a local dealer who carries the new Reference line and give them a listen.

My suggestion with your buget in mind would look like what's sitting in my HT....LOL

RF82s...fronts
RC62...center
RF52s--surrounds $1650 grand total after tax
SVS PB12/Plus-2 $1300 delivered

You can spend a lot more if you want, and do a lot worse for sound.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I chose your PSB option

ManishKasera said:
Stiff and 3db, I thought about using the ADP but they are very expensive.
Studio 60 v3 + CC470 itself is costing me ~$2400. So if I add ADP they will be way over budget.
I'm already negotiating with my wife about budget so I doubt she will let me go over $3000 for the complete setup.
Here are a few threads to read on reviews done on what your looking at except that the subwooofer is also from PSB. I don't think PSB has a universal supply either.

http://www.hometheatersound.com/equipment/psb_t65_c60_s50_subsonic_6i.htm
http://www.goodsound.com/equipment/psb_image_t65.htm

nick53

Audiophyte
You also might consider another great internet company AV123 who makes the Onix Rockets. I was about to purchase Axioms when I discovered my Rockets and love them. :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis