Q

quarinteen

Enthusiast
Hello I am playing around with some speakers to learn a bit. I have taken apart a Logitech subwoofer speaker combo and out of it I got the board that hooks to the bass it’s an H3255-0d and I got a control board for the speakers sorry I do t know the actual names of these components.

I have 1 12’ speaker purchased from amazon
1 4.5 sub from the Logitech
6 2.5 inch speakers
2 6.5 inch speakers
2 tweeters

If you were putting this together to make something worth playing music on how would you build it?

What other components would I need to buy to make this work?

Thank you for any advise

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
That 12 foot subwoofer is gonna be SWEET!

I hope you got free delivery from Amazon for it.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Hello I am playing around with some speakers to learn a bit. I have taken apart a Logitech subwoofer speaker combo and out of it I got the board that hooks to the bass it’s an H3255-0d and I got a control board for the speakers sorry I do t know the actual names of these components.

I have 1 12’ speaker purchased from amazon
1 4.5 sub from the Logitech
6 2.5 inch speakers
2 6.5 inch speakers
2 tweeters

If you were putting this together to make something worth playing music on how would you build it?

What other components would I need to buy to make this work?

Thank you for any advise
I wouldn't waste my time. Forgive the pragmatism, but without knowing EVERY little detail about each individual driver... you'd be better off buying a book of scratchers and cashing 'em in.
Of course, please don't let my curmudgeonly disagreement deter you. :) If you want to learn about speaker design,(even just a little!!!) you should! I'd recommend starting with the Weems book on speaker design, and then if you are still interested, the Alden book. Between the two of them, you could put something together that may perform somewhat reasonably.
But without knowing any of the TS parameters of any of those drivers, whether they are even compatible in the simplest of 2-way designs, much less a 3-way, or how to design a simple XO...
You are looking at ingredients for borscht and hoping for chocolate chip cookies!

At the very least, start with a kit already designed, like the BR1 available from Parts Express. They send you everything you need, including a finished cabinet!, to put together a working speaker. No woodworking or finishing skills required, though I think you need to assemble the Crossover (so brush up on your soldering!).

Please don't be discouraged! Just know that it is not so simple as wiring drivers together and *poof you have a working speaker. :) Believe me, I wish it were!!! :cool:

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
DSC00785.JPG
DSC00789.JPG

Highs like SSSSSS and bass like BBBBBBBB!!!!

Okay, okay I'm playin', lol. For the record tho, someone created an account and posted those to tell us how good they sounded.

Ryan is on point with his assessment. Every driver, crossover, cabinet and materials are all carefully selected, modeled and tested to make sure everything works together seemlessly. You can throw different components into different cabinets and crossovers, but unless you're win the lottery lucky you're most likely gonna end up with something that sounds like the ones depicted above.

I also agree that you shouldn't be discouraged and a kit with everything you need would be a great way to start. Until I dug into it a little more I didn't realize the amount of work and research goes into every well built speaker.

Q

quarinteen

Enthusiast
I wouldn't waste my time. Forgive the pragmatism, but without knowing EVERY little detail about each individual driver... you'd be better off buying a book of scratchers and cashing 'em in.
Of course, please don't let my curmudgeonly disagreement deter you. :)If you want to learn about speaker design,(even just a little!!!) you should! I'd recommend starting with the Weems book on speaker design, and then if you are still interested, the Alden book. Between the two of them, you could put something together that may perform somewhat reasonably.
But without knowing any of the TS parameters of any of those drivers, whether they are even compatible in the simplest of 2-way designs, much less a 3-way, or how to design a simple XO...
You are looking at ingredients for borscht and hoping for chocolate chip cookies!

At the very least, start with a kit already designed, like the BR1 available from Parts Express. They send you everything you need, including a finished cabinet!, to put together a working speaker. No woodworking or finishing skills required, though I think you need to assemble the Crossover (so brush up on your soldering!).

Please don't be discouraged! Just know that it is not so simple as wiring drivers together and *poof you have a working speaker. :) Believe me, I wish it were!!! :cool:
Thank you for your advice and actually giving an answer and opinion. Nice to see some one who has something productive to say. I was starting to think this forum was full of morons who don’t know poop about poop except how to be a lord helmet about typos.

I don’t have any experience in audio but I have lots of experience in other technologies so I under stand amplification of signals how things work on the back end. I’ll learn the terminology required eventually. Just looking for pointers on where to start

R

Russdawg1

Full Audioholic
Thank you for your advice and actually giving an answer and opinion. Nice to see some one who has something productive to say. I was starting to think this forum was full of morons who don’t know poop about poop except how to be a lord helmet about typos.
Speaker building is a fun hobby. There’s more than one way to have fun ;)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
View attachment 30302View attachment 30303

Highs like SSSSSS and bass like BBBBBBBB!!!!

Okay, okay I'm playin', lol. For the record tho, someone created an account and posted those to tell us how good they sounded.

Ryan is on point with his assessment. Every driver, crossover, cabinet and materials are all carefully selected, modeled and tested to make sure everything works together seemlessly. You can throw different components into different cabinets and crossovers, but unless you're win the lottery lucky you're most likely gonna end up with something that sounds like the ones depicted above.

I also agree that you shouldn't be discouraged and a kit with everything you need would be a great way to start. Until I dug into it a little more I didn't realize the amount of work and research goes into every well built speaker.
(C’mon... those were just the test cabinets. :p)

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
Seeing those tweeters, reminds me of radio shack back in the 80s, they sold this super tweeter, that's what it was called.

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief

I don’t have any experience in audio but I have lots of experience in other technologies so I under stand amplification of signals how things work on the back end. I’ll learn the terminology required eventually. Just looking for pointers on where to start
Hey, I resemble that remark!

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
Seeing those tweeters, reminds me of radio shack back in the 80s, they sold this super tweeter, that's what it was called.
Actually.... The crossover is also from the Shack; 40-1299 universal 3-way.

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
Actually.... The crossover is also from the Shack; 40-1299 universal 3-way.
Kvn_Walker...we have the same last name..;). anyways yeah, them super tweeters, I remember back in the 80's two friends of mine had those sitting on top of their speakers. The tweeter where incased in a plastic housing. B&W has tweeters on top of their higher end speakers. Seems to work for them. I personally I'm not a fan of a driver outside a speaker cabinet I'm sure it sounds good just not for me.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Start with a proven design (specific box, drivers and crossover network) as others have said. I built the BR-1 kit Ryan referred to, a very nice speaker for the money (and for a few years Dennis Murphy of Philharmonic Audio sold as his Affordable Accuracy monitor with a slightly modified box and his own crossover design).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis