Suggestions on new speakers for my new dedicated listening room.

J

Jambarino

Enthusiast
Hi everyone.As the title suggests I am in the market for new speakers,and I apologize in advance for the lenghty post but I want to give as much information as possible to get some good feedback.

My current setup is located in my newly finished basement,in a dedicated 13'x14'×8' sealed and carpeted room,around 1500 cubic feet.I have a Denon 3700 avr and use dual PSA TV1512 subwoofers(I know PSA isn't highly thought of in this forum),and for the room it is complete overkill,but I enjoy bass heavy films and music.My current LCR setup is probably a speaker most of you have never heard of.Chase Home Theater SHO-10's,which were designed by Craig Chase before he had some,let's say "issues" and the company went away.They are a 2 way monitor and are big bookshelves,they are similar to the PSA MTM speakers,so think of a high sensitivity outdated design that are really meant for large rooms and Home Theater use.I bought them 12 years ago and at the time I was using them in an open concept living room/kitchen/dining room and I thought I wanted huge cinema sound and reference level playback.Fast forward to now and I mainly use my new room to listen to music and movies,and I rarely go over 80 db's in volume,peaks sometimes hit 90 on action heavy movies,but I can't tolerate "reference" levels.

I feel like I am missing details in music after having listened to some other people's dedicated setups over the years,and I want new speakers.My budget for a new LCR setup is around $1500,and I would like to use three of the same speakers to keep things tonally balanced,and once I find something I like I will upgrade all my speakers to match to run a 5.2.2 setup.I currently sit about 7.5 feet away from my mains,and I listen to a wide range of music,but mostly country,classic and early 2000's rock,drum and bass,trance,and other styles mostly grouped into edm or "techno",and disney soundtracks for my kids.

I would like speakers that will be easy to drive with my current avr,I don't really want to get into purchasing seperate dedicated amps quite yet.I prefer bookshelves for space savings and value.My free time is limited and I want to demo some different models but I haven't looked into speakers in quite awhile,so I need some suggestions to save time and help me know which companies to start looking into to find what I might enjoy.Thanks

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
In your budget with your tastes, definitely give the Monoprice THX 365 speakers a strong consideration.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Hi everyone.As the title suggests I am in the market for new speakers,and I apologize in advance for the lenghty post but I want to give as much information as possible to get some good feedback.

My current setup is located in my newly finished basement,in a dedicated 13'x14'×8' sealed and carpeted room,around 1500 cubic feet.I have a Denon 3700 avr and use dual PSA TV1512 subwoofers(I know PSA isn't highly thought of in this forum),and for the room it is complete overkill,but I enjoy bass heavy films and music.My current LCR setup is probably a speaker most of you have never heard of.Chase Home Theater SHO-10's,which were designed by Craig Chase before he had some,let's say "issues" and the company went away.They are a 2 way monitor and are big bookshelves,they are similar to the PSA MTM speakers,so think of a high sensitivity outdated design that are really meant for large rooms and Home Theater use.I bought them 12 years ago and at the time I was using them in an open concept living room/kitchen/dining room and I thought I wanted huge cinema sound and reference level playback.Fast forward to now and I mainly use my new room to listen to music and movies,and I rarely go over 80 db's in volume,peaks sometimes hit 90 on action heavy movies,but I can't tolerate "reference" levels.

I feel like I am missing details in music after having listened to some other people's dedicated setups over the years,and I want new speakers.My budget for a new LCR setup is around $1500,and I would like to use three of the same speakers to keep things tonally balanced,and once I find something I like I will upgrade all my speakers to match to run a 5.2.2 setup.I currently sit about 7.5 feet away from my mains,and I listen to a wide range of music,but mostly country,classic and early 2000's rock,drum and bass,trance,and other styles mostly grouped into edm or "techno",and disney soundtracks for my kids.

I would like speakers that will be easy to drive with my current avr,I don't really want to get into purchasing seperate dedicated amps quite yet.I prefer bookshelves for space savings and value.My free time is limited and I want to demo some different models but I haven't looked into speakers in quite awhile,so I need some suggestions to save time and help me know which brands to start looking into to find what I might enjoy.Thanks
What Shady said my vote goes with the Monoprice at that budget

J

Jambarino

Enthusiast
In your budget with your tastes, definitely give the Monoprice THX 365 speakers a strong consideration.
Okay I will check them out.Are the Atmos speakers bulit in independently controlled or a permanent part of the main speaker connection?I see they offer towers,mini towers and bookshelves.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Okay I will check them out.Are the Atmos speakers bulit in independently controlled or a permanent part of the main speaker connection?I see they offer towers,mini towers and bookshelves.
They are independent they have a seperate set of speaker posts for those so if you don't want to use them you connect wires to the main terminals and leave those untouched

cbecker33

cbecker33

Audioholic
On recommendations from this board (and probably directly from shadyJ) I ended up with the Monoprice THX 365s and am happy (though still working through subwoofers). The mini towers are bigger than I expected, but attractive.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis