Suggestions on my build

O

OnkEmp

Audiophyte
Hi everyone!

So I pulled the trigger on a few items to start my HT build. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on where to go next with it:

AV Reciver: Onkyo TX-NR709

Floorstanding front speakers: Dual Emptek E55ti

Cabling: BJC Twelve White (5000UE) (White jacket, 12 AWG)

The obvious next choice is either a center speaker or a sub. Does anyone have experience with as similar set that might be able to offer some support and advice to a novice? Budget for either would be in the $300 - 500 range.

I'm also in the market for a nice bluray player with excellent streaming functions(Netflix).

I'm also curious as to what people are doing with/using their Onkyo TX-NR709 for. And by this, I mean, what features are you most prominently using?

Thanks in advance!

F

FirstReflection

AV Rant Co-Host
Hi there!

First up, congrats! Those are some really great products that I often recommend highly. So ya done good so far! :D

It's great that you're willing to buy your system in pieces at a time. That really is the best way to get a truly great system if you have a limited budget and need to save up a bit in between purchases :)

In terms of what will improve your sound system the most at this point, I would say it would be adding a great subwoofer! More than any other component, the subwoofer is what makes it FEEL like you're really "at the movies".

I really like what EMP Tek did with the design of the E55Ti towers, which was to use the larger size and greater number of drivers to allow the speaker to play LOUDER, not lower. So many speaker manufacturers are intent on making their speakers play as low in the bass as possible, often to the detriment of the rest of the audible frequencies! So I love that EMP chose to let their large towers play loud more than low. Of course, the trade off is that if you really want the low rumbles and lowest bass notes, you need a great subwoofer!

That said, if you do not have a blu-ray player yet, the upgrade in picture and sound quality for your movies over DVD is well worth it, IMO. If you already have a Blu-ray player and you simply want to upgrade to one with streaming and/or 3D, or you already have a PS3 though, your choice should be clear: go for a subwoofer ;)

As far as blu-ray players go, while the Oppo players are a high water mark for quality, I really think their $500 price is only worth it for certain people. Namely, people who want a truly "universal" disc player that can play SACD and DVD-Audio discs, as well as provide superb DVD upscaling. In terms of pure Blu-ray disc playback and streaming features, the Oppo Blu-ray players don't offer any advantage. So it's really about DVD upscaling and the other, niche audio disc formats with those players, IMO.

I haven't really looked at Blu-ray players in a while. I've opted to go the route of building a relatively inexpensive (around $400) HTPC for each of my displays. I rip all of my Blu-rays, HD DVDs, DVDs and CDs to a couple of 12TB Synology NAS servers and then use Windows 7 Media Center and ArcSoft TotalMedia Theatre 5 along with Slysoft's Any DVD HD and free Virtual CloneDrive with MyMovies for metadata for playback. It's really nice to have all of my content stored in one, central location on my network that I can access from any computer :) But managing HTPCs can be a bit of a hassle and, obviously, the cost to set it all up is a lot higher than just buying a decent Blu-ray player!

So, like I said, I'm not really up on the very latest Blu-ray players. Any of the units from Panasonic, Sony or LG seem to be pretty decent though. I know that a year or two back, LG's players were actually some of the fastest to load and offered the most streaming online options, but that might have changed by now, I'm not sure :eek: Hopefully someone else will weigh in with more specific Blu-ray player info!

If the Blu-ray player isn't a big issue for you though, then it's time to look at subwoofers! :D

You choice of subwoofer is going to depend largely on your room size. And when we talk about room size, you have to consider the entire open area. A subwoofer does not "know" if only a portion of a room is considered the "theater area". Anywhere that the air CAN move, it WILL move. And a subwoofer will try to pressurize the entire volume of available air.

So, if you have a totally enclosed room, that makes things a bit easier. If you have a "great room" that is totally open, that's the exact opposite, and you need to consider that entire open area as being your "room" so far as the subwoofer is concerned.

So, I will say to you that a hard $500 limit on the sub is likely not in your best interests. If you have a fairly small room that is enclosed, then the HSU STF-2 is easily my favorite $350 subwoofer. And don't get me wrong, even in a large room, it'll probably satisfy most people.

But if you went for the large EMP E55Ti towers, I've got to assume that you either have a pretty large room, or you like to crank out some high volume levels!

My favorite $500-ish subwoofer was the Rythmik FV12. But sadly, Rythmik has discontinued that model and the replacement model hasn't been announced yet. So, in the mean time, the best $550 sub is the HSU VTF-2 MK4. This is a great sub that can handle almost any room size (other than a truly huge room or "great room"). And it has a great amount of customization options, so you can really tune it to your room and personal taste. You can choose to run it for maximum output with a small sacrifice in absolute deep end extension. You can choose to run it for maximum linear deep end extension at the expense of some maximum output. Or you can even choose to run it as a sealed sub, which will cut down on both output and extension, but give you tighter transient response and less group delay since there is no port anymore. It's a really flexible, really capable sub that isn't a whole lot more than your budget :)

If you have a really large room though, or you just want to crank the volume really high and hit right down to 20Hz with a lot of slam and output, then spending a couple hundred more for the SVSound PB12-NSD or PC12-NSD cylinder version might be worth it to you. The SVSound NSD subs are fantastic for their output and truly linear, accurate and extended deep end. They don't have any tuning options like the HSU VTF-2 MK4, but in terms of raw output and staying flat right down to 20Hz on their own, they can't be beat for the price. The SVSound NSD subs are also totally "unbreakable". They use a DSP processor that protects the subwoofer and keeps the distortion level totally under control at all times. You can literally crank these subs as loud as they can possibly go with no worries. They DO eventually run out of output, of course. But they reach that limit gracefully. They never get noisy, they never bottom out, then never make a bad sound. They will simply play as loud as they possibly can and then politely refuse to play any louder :)

So those are the subs I would consider most highly in your situation. They're all a bit over your $500 budget cap, but I think you will find that they are VERY much worth the few extra bucks! ;)

Hope that helps!

O

OnkEmp

Audiophyte
FirstReflection - Absolutely top notch reply. Thank you so much. (Love the smilies! :p )

Building my HT in steps was definitely a decision made that I know I won't regret. Thanks for the confirmation. :)

The information on the E55ti's build and blu ray players is also highly appreciated!

HTPC is something I've been interested in for a long time. I plan to eventually run a lot of features in my home through iPad or Logitech remote, or otherwise centrally located device.

I've opted to go the route of building a relatively inexpensive (around $400) HTPC for each of my displays. I rip all of my Blu-rays, HD DVDs, DVDs and CDs to a couple of 12TB Synology NAS servers and then use Windows 7 Media Center and ArcSoft TotalMedia Theatre 5 along with Slysoft's Any DVD HD and free Virtual CloneDrive with MyMovies for metadata for playback. It's really nice to have all of my content stored in one, central location on my network that I can access from any computer But managing HTPCs can be a bit of a hassle and, obviously, the cost to set it all up is a lot higher than just buying a decent Blu-ray player!
I'm fairly tech savvy, so managing a HTPC shouldn't be a huge issue for me. Your HTPC sounds awesome. Having everything in one centrally accessible spot, is exactly what I'm looking for. At the time of writing this, I've done zero research on your setup, but I plan to. Are you able to elaborate on your system at all? Will the TX-NR709 work well with this?

As for the internal center speaker/subwoofer debate, I've been fully convinced to go with a new sub. Your suggestions on which to go with were excellent. I'll do full research on those and more. The $500 is more of a softcap. Going over it just means saving up a bit longer. No big deal.

I figured, however, I should expand on my current living situation so that we may better get an idea of what sub I should go with. Currently, I'm in a smaller living room area. Off the top of my head, I would guess the HT area to be 15x15, with 1 side opening completely to the dining room, then kitchen. Each of the three "Closed" walls has windows.

However, I will be moving within six months to a currently unknown location and therefore, unknown room dimensions. So after thinking about it, the HSU VTF-2 MK4 might be the best plan due to it's customizable nature. Do you have any other suggestions with the same amount of customization?

Thanks again for the reply! This is GREAT info.

F

FirstReflection

AV Rant Co-Host
You're most welcome. Happy to help :)

The HSU VTF-2 MK4 is currently the least expensive sub out there that can really "do it all", by which I mean that it can play right down to 20Hz, it can play with low distortion and tight transient response, it can play quite loud, and you can customize its low end response using its filter and port options. It's really a great "all around" sub for those reasons.

The Rythmik FV12 had almost as many adjustment options (no sealed mode option though), but as I said, it's sadly no longer available.

If you go up in price quite a bit, the SVSound "Plus" and "Ultra" models are absolutely stellar and offer even more filter, port and EQ options, as well as even deeper and louder output with even lower distortion and tighter control. But you're looking at over double and triple the price of the VTF-2 MK4 with those! So it isn't a fair fight in terms of the price bracket.

Similarly, Rythmik has more expensive models as well. And they have a lot of great sealed subs too. But they're all significantly more expensive. So in terms of just sheer value, nothing really beats or even matches the HSU VTF-2 MK4 right now.

With your living room being open to the kitchen and dining room, the VTF-2 MK4 might not be able to hit full 115dB peaks. But that is insanely loud and hardly anybody ever actually listens at full reference volume, especially for the LFE channel. The VTF-2 MK4 will have no trouble creating nice, strong, satisfying bass in your room. But if you're willing to save up for a much longer time and go for an SVSound Plus or Ultra model, I certainly wouldn't stop you! ;) But realistically, in terms of price, meeting your needs, and being ready for just about any sort of room in the future, I think the VTF-2 MK4 makes the most sense here.

Having a NAS server is a joy. It's basically your own, personal "cloud", but with the option to hold MUCH more data. I prefer Synology over any other brand. Their servers are reliable and easy to use. I have a pair of the DS411j, which are pretty much the least expensive 4-bay units out there. They aren't blazing fast or anything, but for simply storing and serving up audio, video and pictures, I think they're perfect. I went for maximum storage space, so I have them set for JBOD and a separate volume for each hard drive. I'm not worried about redundancy. I have the physical discs as my backup! So if a drive ever fails on me, it'll be a bit of a time suck to re-rip all the discs that were on that drive, but it's not the end of the world :)

I store straight up 1:1 ISO backups. I like special features, 3D, disc menus and the option to still use BD-Live if I want to. So for me, a direct, 1:1 ISO is perfect. Slysoft's AnyDVD HD makes 1:1 ISO backups of Blu-ray, HD DVD, and DVD all on its own, so that's what I use. I got the lifetime license back when it was cheap and still available though. It's not anymore. So the cost will be higher for AnyDVD HD these days.

At the moment, MakeMKV is still in beta and is free. MakeMKV is a great program for when you want to create MKV versions instead, and have the option to strip out certain unwanted parts of the disc, like previews or special features or alternate audio and subtitle tracks.

I use Arcsoft TotalMedia Theatre 5 for the simple reason that it is the only playback software that still supports HD DVDs! Since I use 1:1 ISO files, I have to mount those on a virtual drive for playback. Slysoft's Virtual CloneDrive is free and does that job nicely. TMT5 also seamlessly integrates into Windows 7 Media Center. I like the WMC interface, so that works well for me.

Once again, since I use 1:1 ISO backups of retail discs that I own, MyMovies is really perfect for me for getting all the disc metadata and giving me a nice interface within WMC. MyMovies is free, but there are several nice features that are locked out in the free version. You can pay to unlock the features that you want. MyMovies is all about retail discs, so it's nice when you have multiple versions of the same movie - like a Director's Cut, the 3D release, an Ultimate Edition, or what have you. MyMovies has a separate entry for each individual release, so you can have all of your versions with their own listing in your collection. Within MyMovies, you simply tell the program where the "disc" is located. In my case, I point it to the ISO file on my NAS :)

If you use MKV files or movie downloads or a streaming link though, MediaBrowser is probably the better metadata program. It's free. And a lot of people prefer it to MyMovies. It's more automatic. You just show it the folder where you have all of your movies stored and it automatically goes through based on the file names and imports the titles into the MediaBrowser program. You can manually correct any mistakes after. The automatic info is all based on tMDB though, which isn't always the most complete and only has one listing for each movie title. You can manually change stuff though, so MediaBrowser is a great alternative. I think MyMovies just makes more sense for retail discs though, because it's already set up that way, with a separate listing for each disc SKU ;)

There are a number of ways that you can go about organizing your network and playback though. I think NAS units for storage is the only thing that makes sense. But you could opt to have a dedicated Windows Home Server, which makes importing titles into MyMovies a more automated and easier process, and the Home Server can automatically handle things like backups and organization better.

If you transcode you video backups, you can use DLNA or Windows Media Extenders as your playback devices. I love HD Audio too much to go this route, but a lot of people are just downloading MKV bittorrent files with standard DTS or DD audio that will work over DLNA or on Extenders.

There are also settop box devices like the Boxee Box or Popcorn Hour that can act as your playback device and even play ISO files natively. The Boxee Box doesn't handle DTS-HD Master Audio though (at least not yet) and the Popcorn Hour is fairly expensive and usually on back order.

So I decided that the easiest solution was to simply build a separate HTPC for each display. If you only ever use one display at a time, you certainly don't need multiple HTPCs! I just have multiples so that each display can be truly independent and two or three people can watch a different movie on each display if we want to!

WMC is also a great DVR for over-the-air HDTV content. You just install a tuner in you HTPC, hook up an HDTV antenna, and bam, you've got free, local HDTV channels and a great DVR experience.

And obviously, being a full PC, you can access any online content that you like! You've got a full browser, you can download and install any programs that you like. It's a full PC. And if you spend a bit more, you can make it a proper gaming PC too, if you like. So to me, a full HTPC is just more flexible and capable.

The Synology NAS units can also do a lot on their own. They have apps to make the NAS into an iTunes server, a DLNA server, FTP server, all kinds of stuff.

A simple Core i3 processor with an inexpensive H61 chipset Socket LGA1155 motherboard with HDMI out is all you need for full HD, 3D and HD-Audio playback. You don't even need a video card! The built in Intel HD graphics are totally fine for movie playback. I throw in 4 GB of RAM and an SSD to make it all snappy and quick. A nice, compact mATX case with a quiet power supply, or an ITX case if you want something even smaller makes the PC look right at home with all of your other gear. The Core i3 runs super cool and the stock CPU fan is silent and perfectly fine. You don't even really need a case fan with these low power units.

With MyMovies, you can have each PC be totally independent, or you can have one PC act as the "server" for the metadata while the other PCs act as "clients". I do it this way so that when I add a new disc to my collection, I only have to update the one "server" PC. Otherwise, I would have to add the title to each PC individually, or do it through backups, which take a long time when you have a large collection! So I just leave my main PC running all the time, which is fine. It doesn't use much power, and if it's acting as your OTA HDTV DVR, it pretty much needs to always be on anyway ;)

So that's it! I use Harmony Remotes, which work fine with WMC (you just get a remote IR dongle for the PC). The whole experience and interface is slick, and it's super impressive when folks come over and they can just pull up my entire movie, music and photo collection on any display in my home :D If I want to use other programs or use a full browser, I can just use a wireless keyboard and mouse, or use one of the apps for my iPhone or iPad that let it act as a touchpad and keyboard via the network or Bluetooth.

But it's by no means the only solution. A Boxee Box is cheaper and possibly easier. There are other settop box solutions as well. If you're ripping discs, you'll need a PC of some sort to get those files onto your NAS regardless. So I think having at least one HTPC makes total sense. For additional displays, you might opt for a different playback device or just an Extender, rather than a full HTPC for each display.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis