Suggestions for Outdoor Speakers

solomr2

solomr2

Full Audioholic
I'm looking for suggestions on outdoor (wired) speakers. These will go in my back patio, most likely mounted near the ceiling, angled downward. Budget under $400.

The patio is 28.5' x 13' x 12' high ceiling. I'm only really concerned about sound on the patio, not so much in the back yard / pool. And since it is a covered space they won't be directly exposed to rain or sun, but South Florida weather is harsh on anything left outside (heat/humidity).

I've auditioned the Bose 251, which a friend has and suggested. They sound reasonably good, but I'm concerned about their paper drivers not being very durable. And for the price I think there should be something better.

The Mirage Oasis Omni 5 look interesting, design wise, but haven't heard much about them.

Please help me with some suggestions.

Thanks.

A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief
I have a pair of Polk Atriums and am pretty happy with them.

solomr2

solomr2

Full Audioholic
Has anyone tried the Niles OS6.3?

What little I've read about them sounds pretty good.

B

billnchristy

Senior Audioholic
I was going to go with HTD outdoors, I just cant imagine exposing $300 speakers to the elements...just doesnt seem right.

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

Audioholic Field Marshall
I'm not sure what type of sound quality you are looking for. To do it cheap you could go to Best buy and pick up some Insignia indoor/outdoor speakers for $20 a pair (usually on sale at that price). I use these in my bathroom. They are a little tinny in sound, but for their size and price I am completely happy with them and they sound much better than I expected.

Something like that would allow you to get several pairs but they are really only for background music, not for rocking the neighborhood. Some of the nicer outdoor speakers can tend to get a bit pricier.

mkossler

mkossler

Audioholic
Well, I just have to say it - if you enter "Acoustic Research" into a search for speakers on eBay, you'll find a plethora of AR wireless indoor/outdoor speakers. It all depends on what sound quality you are seeking, of course- but then again, the outdoor venue will be self-limiting with regard to sound quality.

To my mind, a wireless indoor/outdoor design makes a lot of sense if the SQ is acceptable. It provides a lot of placement flexibility, no wiring requirements, and the things can be stored indoors away from the elements.

At any rate, good luck and good hunting! :)

solomr2

solomr2

Full Audioholic
I wasn't seriously considering wireless because they need batteries and they don't handle a lot of power, most are only rated at 10w rms. Besides, I already ran cable through the attic, and I have the scars and bruises to prove it ;)

B

Bassman2

Audioholic
The only thing I know about little Hi-Fi outdoor speakers is that Polk practically invented them back in the 70's or early 80's. My friends and I didn't know little boxes could sound so good, OR be left outside. I don't even know if there was a model number, just....."Polk's" :confused:

B

billnchristy

Senior Audioholic
Those speakercrafts look nice but they are all 4ohm! I dont know any zone 2 that could run those.

solomr2

solomr2

Full Audioholic
Still looking for speakers.

Today I demo'd the Jamo I/O 3A2 speakers==> LINK. They were pretty impressive. The highs were precise and tight, the bass was reasonably punchy for this size of speaker, aided by bass reflex architecture. The speakers have a very robust and unique mounting bracket. Overall, these are currently my front runners.

I also tried the Jamo 8A2, these are 8" whereas the 3A2 are 5.25" drivers. But the 3A2 sounded better, more precise. The 8A2 was a little muddy and.

Others I have auditioned in the past few weeks are Yamaha, JBL, Klipsch and Infinity. I didn't like the Yamahas or the JBLs at all. The Klipsch were pretty good, but not as good as the Jamo above, I would rate them 2nd. The Infinity 3rd.

Unfortunately, there are not very many places to audition outdoor speakers around here, so this has been going slower than I expected.

can anyone offer any opinions on the Jamo 3A2?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis