Suggestions for office headphones?

C

cmb5286

Junior Audioholic
I can highly recommend Sennheisers. I got a pair from circuit city for $60 and they were they best music and gaming headphones I've ever heard. High and mids were great and plenty of bass, but not overwhelming. I sold them to buy some shure E3cs and am really regretting it. Get the sennheisers, you won't be dissapointed.

J

jamie2112

Banned
Sony mdr-7506 are what I have been using in the studio and live mixing for 20 years. They sound very flat. What you hear is what you get.:cool:

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
I use a pair of AKG k240 phones for everything on my PC as well as recording and live sound applications and they are great headphones. They are very accurate and flat and they are extremely comfortable and well built.

ErinH

ErinH

Audioholic General
I've been reading a lot of good reviews on the mdr-v6. Seems the 7506 is simply a gold-plated terminal version of the same headphone with many reports that the sound quality is the same. In that case, I'll discount the 7506.

I can't seem to find any frequency response plots for the v6, but the Sennheiser I was looking at didn't have much low-end response compared to some other phones in it's price range. However, the midrange appears pretty flat.

I found a set of v6's on e-bay, bnib, for 68 shipped. Might give 'em a shot.

E

EYEdROP0

Audioholic
Headphones were my thing before I got into stereos and stuff like that. In my personal opinion, all the suggestions made here are very good. But it all trickles down to the type of sound signature you want. Some good closed cans I can list are:

1-Sony Mdr-v6 ($71) A very neutral headphone. Good mids, highs. No bass bloat IMO.
1-Sennheiser HD280 ($80) Extreme isolation in a closed Headphone. Slightly anemic bass.
1-Audio Technica a500/700 ($98 and $140) Very balanced overall sound. Good for rock and metal. Speedy, controlled bass. Cheap pleather pads.
1-Equation rp21/rp22x ($85-$90) Plenty of awesome bass. Slightly recessed mids, good highs
1-Audio Technica ES7 ($110)
2-Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO ($150) Bass monsters! Also a good gaming/movie watching 'phone.
1-Denon d1000 ($130)

My suggestion is to read reviews about each one on www.head-fi.org. Id also reccomend buying used from there, just to get the best for your money. Great people over at that website.

zhimbo

zhimbo

Audioholic General
I use Senn HD-280s for office and for travel. They're a big bulky for travel, but they isolate sound very well so I put up with it. The sound is quite good - I actually prefer my slightly cheaper Grados, but those are open phones that leak sound like crazy, so aren't appropriate for either office or travel.

They're comfortable enough for me to wear for long periods, but they aren't super-light and do fit quite tightly. They don't "disappear" when you wear them.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis