Suggested brands for a audiophyte

ericdfields

ericdfields

Audiophyte
I've got the job, the apartment, now i need the stereo system :). I've been putting it off as I have reasonable computer speakers and up until recently I listened to most things on the go and with my Sennheiser HD280 pros (that was a sad bus ride...).

So anyway, I'd like to spend < $1000 on a good beginner setup at home. Surround sound is not important to me, but definitely something that would be a good media center hub.

A quick google for 'audiophile receiver' has shoved NAD in my face, but I don't want to jump on anything too soon. I'm also wondering if anyone is adverse toward having an intergraded DVD player, such as in NAD's L73 DVD A/V Receiver.

I've got a find carousel CD player, so really I'm asking for receiver/speaker suggestions. Less than a grand, like i said, so should I go 50/50 receiver/speakers? How important is wiring, really? Should I put aside a decent chunk of change for that?

Thanks for the help.

--
eric

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
I've got the job, the apartment, now i need the stereo system :). I've been putting it off as I have reasonable computer speakers and up until recently I listened to most things on the go and with my Sennheiser HD280 pros (that was a sad bus ride...).

So anyway, I'd like to spend < $1000 on a good beginner setup at home. Surround sound is not important to me, but definitely something that would be a good media center hub.

A quick google for 'audiophile receiver' has shoved NAD in my face, but I don't want to jump on anything too soon. I'm also wondering if anyone is adverse toward having an intergraded DVD player, such as in NAD's L73 DVD A/V Receiver.

I've got a find carousel CD player, so really I'm asking for receiver/speaker suggestions. Less than a grand, like i said, so should I go 50/50 receiver/speakers? How important is wiring, really? Should I put aside a decent chunk of change for that?

Thanks for the help.

--
eric
On your budget, and on any budget, you should spend the majority of your money on speakers and room acoustics. Electronics come after that, and wiring at the very bottom. You needn't spend a ton to get high quality wiring. Sources like Westlake Electronic, Monoprice, and Parts Express carry all the high quality cabling you need to set up a system at a reasonable cost. As for what you should be shopping for, that depends on your goals. I see that surround isn't important right now, but will it be down the road? What you buy now is definitely dependent on what you would like to accomplish later. Before I (and other folks) start recommending products that we probably all have some sort of bias on, please answer the following questions:

1. Will this system evolve into something larger later on? If so, what?
2. How large is the room in which this system will be installed?
3. What other factors (appearance, functions, ease of use, etc) are important to you?
4. Are there any factors that will place a severe limit on what you can do or spend?

I look forward to your reply.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
At $1K, I wouldn't spend MOST of the money on speakers, but speakers should get the priority and be the first thing you look for as they will definitely make the biggest difference. I agree with Jaxvon, it would be good to decide now if this system will remain stereo only or will eventually be a multichannel system. If stereo only, will that be 2.1 or 2.0?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis