J

jerrybuilt

Audiophyte
I am a novice and have a simple question: I installed a subwoofer speaker in my den wall several years ago and I have four speaker wires from that subwoofer terminating in my media cabinet. I just bought a new receiver and the subwoofer hookup is a single jack. Is it possible to connect the four wires to wyes that will plug into the subwoofer jack/outlet?

Thank you.

J

jcl

Senior Audioholic
I think it would be most helpful if you could post the make and model of the sub.

However, if they are speaker wires connected to your sub then they will need amplification. By the sounds of it your avr has a sub or low frequency out that is not amplified. Seems like the avr needs to be mated to the sub's speaker wires with a cable and amplifier.

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Agreed, a picture of the connection at least would be helpful. Does the sub have its own amp, meaning, is it plugged in or not? If not, then as jcl mentioned, you will need to have a separate amp for the sub to use it the sub preamp level output from your receiver.

You may also connect the sub to the main L&R speaker outputs and set your front speakers to "large" in the speaker setup menu, however if this sub does not have its own amp, I would probably choose to go with the separate amp setup instead as connecting it to the receiver means your receiver is powering the sub.

Last edited:
J

jerrybuilt

Audiophyte
I am a novice and have a simple question: I installed a subwoofer speaker in my den wall several years ago and I have four speaker wires from that subwoofer terminating in my media cabinet. I just bought a new receiver and the subwoofer hookup is a single jack. Is it possible to connect the four wires to wyes that will plug into the subwoofer jack/outlet?

Thank you.

Last edited:
J

jerrybuilt

Audiophyte
The sub does not have its own amp. I will look up the make and model. Thank you for your help.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis