Subwoofers with AutoEQ (but not thousands of dollars) like elac

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I was reading about the Elac subwoofer SUB3030 and saw a demonstration of the EQ app.
It looked stupid simple and unless the sub itself is total crap, it seems like this might be a good recommendation for anyone who is looking to put together a good music system but wants to keep it simple with a two channel mentality.
I occasionally see someone come through looking for a sub to add to their two channel system and we often recommend something like the SVS-12NSD (I think this specific model is discontinued, but work with me) and I wonder if we are really giving good advice since we also are aware of how important room effects are on proper integration of a subwoofer.
It is easy to understand why there are two channel guys who think subs are an abomination to music if their experience was from the attempt to simply connect a sub with the volume being the only adjustment.
The SUB3030 (and its siblings) allows you to EQ dual subs using your phone or tablet with an app! However, I have not yet seen a review from a reviewer I know/trust! The reviewer from Secrets of Home Theater Hi-Fi had this to say when comparing with his Anthem reciever's ARC system:
Regarding the subwoofers, I had listened to the system with the bass calibrated both with ARC alone and with ARC relinquishing the bass calibration duties exclusively to ELAC’s subwoofer auto-cal routine. In practice, you want to avoid having both systems active at the same time, essentially EQ over EQ, which can lead to unpredictable results. Each bass calibration scenario yielded excellent results to my ears with neither being the clear superior over the other. Kudos go to ELAC for including such a system with their subwoofers.
Start at the one minute mark to see how easy this EQ is to use!

Here is AJ himself explaining why it is not a problem to use the microphone in your cell phone for this task (I'm not totally convinced)!
Note this is an earlier version of the Auto EQ, but I am pretty certain the basics apply!

I wanted to start a general conversation of this, but also had some specific questions:
1) Are there other subs with built-in AutoEQ systems like this in reasonably priced subwoofers (lets call it $1500 or less)
2) How good is this EQ? Is there a good review from a trusted source with measurements (maybe Secrets is good - I have little history with them)?
3) If this is a reasonably competent EQ system, how bad is the performance of the Elac subs? I know they do not have the ultimate "horsepower" of the HSU we might recommend, but for music-only (okay to roll off at 25Hz) and if not in a large room, doesn't the ability to integrate the sub become more important than raw horsepower?
4) If the Elac AutoEQ system is worth a crap, how long before some of the typical ID sub makers have it - it seems an inexpensive addition!

I am thinking of the guy who has bought a nice integrated amp and a couple of speakers that don't fully satisfy him in the bass department. He has a RCA for a sub on his integrated amp, but is not about to do REW/miniDSP.

I recognize the wonderful bass capability of the normal suspects (Hsu, SVS, etc) but Is there ever the case where the Elac might be preferred? If so what would tip the scales in favor of the Elac?

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Good topic Kurt!
I saw AJ demo this around launch time, and I remember thinking the whole thing seemed dubious. At the same time he was carrying on about how his bouncy Atmos speakers were the $hit. I wrote the whole thing off at that point. Salesman.....
My thoughts though are still that I don’t believe in cell phone mic’s, they all roll off differently and have different FR. So imo, unless they account for all phone mic’s it’s moot. To me.
I also dislike that the whole thing is controlled by an app. What happens when the OS is out of date, or there’s some inoperability etc? I guess I just don’t trust it.
As for whether or not the elac would be preferred, there’s a lot of variables, but it holds no interest for me.
But your point of the 2ch guy that needs a little extra bottom end is a good one. The sub itself is probably decent, but I’d be really interested to see some REW tests to see if the EQ is actually competent.
FWIW, I’d rather spend 60 bucks more for a vtf3.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis