Subwoofers and X overs

CyboLynx

CyboLynx

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>yes im new ...Hi how are you all ...nice to be here been reading lots of things on here ....

ok now what i would like to talk about is sub out on amps and the sub woofer crossover ...

iv read alot about subs on diff places on the net including here that using the crossover on your sub can cause phase canselation and this and that right ...ok ...im far from an advanced user of electronics i just know what i know ...and sometimes i could be wrong and ill admit to being wrong

but from my understanding of Xovers music goes threw and sound gets filterd and the unfilterd sound is aloud threw ...

ok ...now if amp A has a sub out Xover @90hz and ur home sub can catch that threw its LFE input and then u can further filter out the sounds you want ...now how is it that this can cause phasing ,canceling or over oomphing ur sub .... &nbsp;
i mean ...if i put an Xover on my preamp input and then EQ from the preamp to the power amp wouldent that cause the same problem ?
thats like saying putting in a Xover period would cause the same problem ...

what im trying to say is that how is it not possable to Xover multipal times ...u get 90hz and lower signal from ur amp sub out ...u have the choice to filter out anything under that with the Xover on the sub ...its like a watter dam ... we'll say 90L of water is aloud threw dam A and on dam B we dont need 90L so we can effectively close the dam to 50L and thats what we will get ...

but like i said im no expert but it just dosnt add up ....u can use multipal resistors and capasitors and depending on the quality of your electronics u get good sound from your amp ...right ...:) ....if played with my sub at different levels and did multipal sound sweeps to find the right cut off on my Xover so that it wasnt drounding out my mains ....i like bass in fact i love bass ....i listen to all sorts of music and dont notice my sub doing weird things ...but when i open up my Xover my sub likes to dround out my mains making it to thumpy ....and i like hard rolls that are smooth with my mains ....maby its just me ... but maby i need a dummer explanation of why Xover sound shouldent be Xoverd more ...specialy on a powerd sub ...i know if u Xover multipal times with passive Xovers u get degrated sound quality ....

well thanx for listening and any input is appreciated thanx
im not here to say anybody is wrong and im right ...just would like to know why this is said to be this way thats all</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis