Subwoofer works too well at zero volume

R

RoQFodder

Audiophyte
Hello all,

I have a JBL es150p that even with the volume and crossover at minimum it will beat really hard and has a burning smell. The volume and gain don't seem to increase any if I turn it up. I opened it up and I think the smell is coming from the large plastic coil but I suspect that is just from it being at max non stop. I am guessing it is the board that everything plugs into and has the level and gain on it but I wanted some more knowledgeable opinions.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
What do you mean by "max non stop" ? If your using an avr you shouldn't be using the subs crossover, which should be set to max as not to interfere with the AVRs crossover

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hello all,

I have a JBL es150p that even with the volume and crossover at minimum it will beat really hard and has a burning smell. The volume and gain don't seem to increase any if I turn it up. I opened it up and I think the smell is coming from the large plastic coil but I suspect that is just from it being at max non stop. I am guessing it is the board that everything plugs into and has the level and gain on it but I wanted some more knowledgeable opinions.
We need a clearer idea of what is going on.

A burning smell is a very bad omen indeed. I suspect the sub amp is fried and the speaker may also be fried.

These lower end JBL subs are definitely in the junk category with amp problems well known, including fried drivers from DC offset as speaker protection is poor.

Pending further info from you, I suspect it is new sub time.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
What do you mean by "max non stop" ? If your using an avr you shouldn't be using the subs crossover, which should be set to max as not to interfere with the AVRs crossover
hopefully I've read the owner's manual correctly, that's basically what it says to do for my two subs. :confused:

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Burning smell, not working correctly...seems your amp is fried, perhaps your driver as well. Whether you currently have the low pass filter set to min or max doesn't seem to really matter at this point...

R

RoQFodder

Audiophyte
When I say at max I mean I can have the volume on my receiver at 1 and I don't hear any music through all my other speakers but that subwoofer will be beating like the volume is maxed out. I tried adjusting the the level and crossover on the subwoofer itself to min and it is still the same. My other subwoofer works fine and I have already replaced the LFE cable and tried swapping it to the input of the other subwoofer, so I know it is definitely the sub that is the problem (also the burning smell)

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
When I say at max I mean I can have the volume on my receiver at 1 and I don't hear any music through all my other speakers but that subwoofer will be beating like the volume is maxed out. I tried adjusting the the level and crossover on the subwoofer itself to min and it is still the same. My other subwoofer works fine and I have already replaced the LFE cable and tried swapping it to the input of the other subwoofer, so I know it is definitely the sub that is the problem (also the burning smell)
So this beating is not music. This amp is sending repetitive bursts of DC to the driver destroying it.

Unplug this sub immediately and take it to the recycling center before you start a serious fire.

New sub time, that unit is done.

R

RoQFodder

Audiophyte
So this beating is not music. This amp is sending repetitive bursts of DC to the driver destroying it.

Unplug this sub immediately and take it to the recycling center before you start a serious fire.

New sub time, that unit is done.
I was afraid it wasn't able to be fixed. Thank you.

blue72

blue72

Audiophyte
I had something similar recently, but I'm afraid my experience won't help your dilemma.
I bought an older Klipsch powered subwoofer, and through trial and error discovered there was corrosion in the gain knob which made it basically set itself to max gain full-time. I'd try to turn it down, but it would still pound out at high volume. I had to unplug it and remove the plate amp in order to spray/clean the gain pot multiple times until it was back in proper working order.
Seeing as yours is a much newer unit, I don't think that'll help, but maybe someone searching the forums in the future will need this info.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis