R

ronin

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>what are the strengths/weaknesses between a front-firing sub and a down-firing sub?</font>

<font color='#000000'>Room size and what your floor are made out of play a large part in the decision. Generally, for a down-firing subwoofer you'll want hardwood floors or some other hard surface for best response.

Side firing subwoofers will do better in a smaller room (as opposed to the same size down-firing in a larger room) and is forgiving on what your room/floor is made out of.

All of these generalizations assume that both subwoofers are of demonstrably &quot;equal&quot; quality. Otherwise, a bad quality sub of either type will be outdone by the other.

There's much more than this - but until you provide some more details maybe this will whet your apetite...

[Edit: Just ONCE I'd like to post without spelling errors...]
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
R

ronin

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>thanks for the quick response!

my bedroom is carpeted and i'm getting a yamaha htr-5140 receiver. i plan to get some crystal-clear, crisp-sounding bookshelves (to save space), but i'll need a sub to make up for what the bookshelves won't produce.

primary use will be 2-channel computer audio production -- and occaisonal movies (or else i'd go 7.1)

(in addition to the sub, i need speakers that don't hiss!  
)</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
RLA

RLA

Audioholic Chief
<font color='#000000'>Hi
if you have a typical size bedroom 18x15 or so &nbsp;
with a queen size bed closet full of clothes,heavy pleated
drapes and carpet you should be able to hit 105-108 db
at 38hz with an inexpensive 12&quot; subwoofer &nbsp; I used a Klipsch KSW12 &nbsp;corner loaded for room gain for a reference
Cheers Ray</font>

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
<font color='#000000'>For a good sub woofer the Yamaha YST series deserves an audition. Particularly the YST 320 and the smashing YST 800 which will fulfill all your bass needs. The advantage with the Yamahas are that they are small in size but big in department of power and sound. The YST-800 pumps 800W of bass power into your room.</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis