Subwoofer Shutting Off

Bluebarron

Bluebarron

Audiophyte
Hello,

I am hoping you guys can point me in the right direction on how to repair a sub. I have a Paradign Ultracube 12". When its operating, as soon as it gets any amount of bass demand, it pops, then restarts itself (light goes off, then comes back on).

What I think I have done wrong: I had a roommate for over a year. Our schedules made it so I would almost always be watching my system when he was sleeping... So I turned down my sub to its lowest setting... and its been there for a year. So the sub has still been on, but not being asked to do much of anything. If I recall from when I built the system, sending low power/low demand to audio components is generally not good.

This happened a few months ago, but after playing some bass test sounds, and bass heavy songs, it slowed and stopped; acting normal once it stretched it's legs. That does not seem to be working, and I don't want to keep trying for fear of further damage.

Does anyone have advice as to what I can do? I am not afraid to pull things apart, but I am not used to working with something like a sub; I work on jet engines for my day job, so I can learn. I am willing to send it to Paradigm, but not sure if I need to send the whole thing?

I figured I would ask here before asking them, in case anyone has more worldly advice.

Thank you!

Jon

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Sub shutting off and restarting could be issues with wire hookup from AVR to sub or faulty sub amp.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hello,

I am hoping you guys can point me in the right direction on how to repair a sub. I have a Paradign Ultracube 12". When its operating, as soon as it gets any amount of bass demand, it pops, then restarts itself (light goes off, then comes back on).

What I think I have done wrong: I had a roommate for over a year. Our schedules made it so I would almost always be watching my system when he was sleeping... So I turned down my sub to its lowest setting... and its been there for a year. So the sub has still been on, but not being asked to do much of anything. If I recall from when I built the system, sending low power/low demand to audio components is generally not good.

This happened a few months ago, but after playing some bass test sounds, and bass heavy songs, it slowed and stopped; acting normal once it stretched it's legs. That does not seem to be working, and I don't want to keep trying for fear of further damage.

Does anyone have advice as to what I can do? I am not afraid to pull things apart, but I am not used to working with something like a sub; I work on jet engines for my day job, so I can learn. I am willing to send it to Paradigm, but not sure if I need to send the whole thing?

I figured I would ask here before asking them, in case anyone has more worldly advice.

Thank you!

Jon
Unfortunately plate amps in subs are very unreliable. There are also almost impossible to service. You need to replace the plate amp.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Unfortunately plate amps in subs are very unreliable. There are also almost impossible to service. You need to replace the plate amp.
There is a very good reason why many "active" subs have a 5 year warranty on the driver, but only a 1 year warranty on the internal plate amp. I suppose it costs a lot more money to make the amp external or something. :D

Bluebarron

Bluebarron

Audiophyte
Thanks for the advice guys. Anyone ever removed one? I will look up what the plate amp is; hopefully I can just order a new one.

crossedover

crossedover

Audioholic Chief
Thanks for the advice guys. Anyone ever removed one? I will look up what the plate amp is; hopefully I can just order a new one.
Removal is easy. A direct replacement would probably come from the manufacturer. If they don't have replacements at a reasonable price or not available I'd look for a new sub. For a couple of hundred less than the original MSRP you can purchase a new sub that will out perform the ultra cube.

crossedover

crossedover

Audioholic Chief
There is a very good reason why many "active" subs have a 5 year warranty on the driver, but only a 1 year warranty on the internal plate amp. I suppose it costs a lot more money to make the amp external or something. :D
How many manufacturers offer more that a 1 year warranty on avrs?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
How many manufacturers offer more that a 1 year warranty on avrs?
Not many. I think Denon & Yamaha offer 3 YR. Electronics, especially with DSP/EQ or anything digital, just don't have the same warranty because they are more prone to fail than drivers/speakers.

Bluebarron

Bluebarron

Audiophyte
Which sub would you suggest, crossover? And why..? I ask why to learn more about subs. Thanks!

crossedover

crossedover

Audioholic Chief
Which sub would you suggest, crossover? And why..? I ask why to learn more about subs. Thanks!
The ones that comes to mind POWER SOUND AUDIO — XV15se Home Audio Powered Subwoofer
SVS PB-2000 and SB-2000 Subwoofers Review | Audioholics

next level http://www.powersoundaudio.com/collections/power-x/products/xs30se
http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/ported-box/PB12-Plus#.U-CVMxGl9LY

subs will have a lower in room response and higher spl than the paradigm

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis