Subwoofer recommendations - Poland (16m2 room)

P

Philantrop

Enthusiast
Welcome everybody,
It's my first post here, but I was reading reviews here for a bit of time. I would like to hear your opinion about subwoofer recommendations for my first HT setup.
Till now I bought Elac B 6.2 for my front speakers, Denon 1600h and I plan to buy ELAc matching centre and subwoofeer.
Room size is about 16m2 and 45 M3 (so 1550m3). Therefore it is small/ medium room.
My usage probably will be about 60 % movies and Netflix and 20 for PS5 gaming and music.
In regard to budget it is quite open, but it is my first HT so I would like to keep it quite low ( under 500 euro or close to).
I consider following subwoofers from what I read:
1) SVS PB 1000 - about 440 euro,
2) svs SB 1000 - about 420 euro,
3) nubert xw 700 - about 515 euro
4) xtz spirit sub - 310 euro
5) xtz 10.17 - 490 euro,
6) xtz 12.17 - 580 euro,
7) monolith thx 10 select - 599 euro,
8) magnat rs12- 350 euro,
9) rel ht 1003 - about 530 euro.
Im not a massive bass head and live in a flat (apartment), so neighbors are a factor, but people always recommend to go bigger, therefore I consider 10/12 subwoofers. Please give me any suggestions

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
From that bunch, I would probably swing for the XTZ 12.17.

P

Philantrop

Enthusiast
Thanks for reply. Would 10.17 edge be in your opinion sufficient for my space (16m2/45 M3) in a flat / apartment?

P

Philantrop

Enthusiast
I would like Arendal,but the cheapest is 899 euro which is too expensive for my liking.
In regard to BK elec I don't know much, any particular model?. Wouldn't they charge me with additional import fee as UK is outside of EU now? At their site they ask for individual contact in this regard (shipping) so I will try to get more info from them.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I would like Arendal,but the cheapest is 899 euro which is too expensive for my liking.
In regard to BK elec I don't know much, any particular model?. Wouldn't they charge me with additional import fee as UK is outside of EU now? At their site they ask for individual contact in this regard (shipping) so I will try to get more info from them.
I was more curious if available at all, just some more brands available in europe from what I've seen (I'm not in europe). The Arendals are a bit pricey and have seen that concern with BK Elec since brexit, too, but don't know....

Shadyj's opinion of the other bunch I'd go with (he's the sub reviewer here if you're not aware).

P

Philantrop

Enthusiast
I was more curious if available at all, just some more brands available in europe from what I've seen (I'm not in europe). The Arendals are a bit pricey and have seen that concern with BK Elec since brexit, too, but don't know....

Shadyj's opinion of the other bunch I'd go with (he's the sub reviewer here if you're not aware).
Oh thanks. I didn't know about his role here, because I'm quite new on this forum. Still the sale for 12.17 has ended so I wonder about 10.17, if it will be enough.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Oh thanks. I didn't know about his role here, because I'm quite new on this forum. Still the sale for 12.17 has ended so I wonder about 10.17, if it will be enough.
I prefer more than less for my subs :)....however, living in an apartment and being considerate of neighbors isn't something I have to do either..... :)

The 10.17 looks to be a good performer and for your purposes would think could work very well but then that Monolith THX 10 probably has a bit of a performance edge but at higher cost.....

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Thanks for reply. Would 10.17 edge be in your opinion sufficient for my space (16m2/45 M3) in a flat / apartment?
The 10.17 won't play as loud or dig as deep. Whether it's enough for your flat is mostly a matter of how loud you like to listen. If you just want a bit of deeper bass to shore up the low end, the 10.17 might be enough, but if you want a sub with a lot more punch, the 12.17 is what I would be looking at.

P

Philantrop

Enthusiast
Thanks again for your replies. Now I'm listening to TV shows/movies/etc. directly via my TV speakers so I probably will be happy either way, but I try to choose the best suited sub.
Regarding my listening levels I tested by a mobile app how loud I listen via TV speakers and it shows about 65 dB (measured at listening position), so quite low. With better equipment there is a chance that I will turn up volume a little, but not so much.
I'm not sure how above-mentioned levels influence my choices, because tests (measurements of performance) usually comes at 90-110Db range.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Consider that a movie recorded to thx movie standards will have an average level of 85dB and allowance for + 20dB peaks, anlttld the LFE channel has the potential for another 10dB. At a guess you probably won't be disappointed by most of the subs in your list, altho I tend to want to get the best sub I can....you might move someday?

P

Philantrop

Enthusiast
Yeah, there is of course a chance of moving, but I suppose that not within few years. Maybe in about 5 or more years, so I don't think much about it now.
From most opinions I got the suggestion that it is better to go bigger and - if required - play low volume than to go smaller sub and have a remorse about it, so I will stick with 12' subwoofers ;)
Do I imply correctly that more powerful subwoofer don't have to always play loud and it will (should) sound better than smaller subwoofer? For simplification let's assume that it is the same model (e.g. XTZ 10.17 Vs 12.17)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You can play a sub at a matched level to your speakers, or at lesser or increased levels as well, depending on tastes and in your case what might keep your neighbors happier.....the 10.17 vs 12.17 you'd gain a bit more extension (plays lower) and a bit more spl capability at the top end with the larger sub. Then there's the future use thing.... :)

P

Philantrop

Enthusiast
Thanks again. Yeah, I think the best way will be to choose the bigger one so I will skip spirit sub 12, edge 10.17, etc.
Now the main choices are:
1) xtz 12.17
2) bk elec monolith FF or xls400
3) svs pb 1000?
Is XZT still the best choice from above or they are level?

P

Philantrop

Enthusiast
Ok sa after additional thoughts it come to this:
1) XTZ 12.17 edge -750 euro, occasionally at sale for about 600 euro
2) svs pb 1000 pro - now about 875 euro but will probably wait for promo about 800 euro
3) svs SB 2000 pro - now about 788 EUR but will wait for promo about 700 euro
4) Arendal 1961S -899 euro (outlet 809 euro, if I wait)
Choices are a little bit different than before as I came to the conclusion that is better to spend a little bit more if it will result in longer use (no need to upgrade). Any opinions?
I provided prices as I think that most users here are from US. I read a lot of good opinions about Arendal and review on this site and all opinions are very good, however it rose in price from October 699 to 899 now and therefore I'm not sure if it's still good bang for bucks.
Thanks in advance for any help

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Was going to ask if you saw the recent review but you're way ahead of me :) I'd still go with one of the ported choices....

P

Philantrop

Enthusiast
Yeah, I try to look first on the site and then here on the forum. I was going away from ported up to recent days when I watched YouTube Audioholics discussion on ported Vs sealed. I conclude from it that good designed ported sub is better and more cost effective. Sealed are mostly better when space is a limit factor or WAF. Alternatively for 2.1
Limiting my choices to ported, firstly I asked about XTZ 12.17 edge and pb 1000 and the winner was XTZ (in shadyj opinion). Does change from pb 1000 to 1000 pro change something?
Is XTZ or SVS a clear winner or it can be decided based on look or price and both are similar level?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis