Subwoofer Questions

A. Vivaldi

A. Vivaldi

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Due to the small size of my room, I've decided to go with the bookshelf/subwoofer system, and I have three questions. Who makes a good sub designed for listening to music? All the subs I've ever heard as demos seem to sound boomy and muffled to me. I'm looking for something with deep, tight bass. Also, how do you hook up your powered sub to your amp and make it so the subs volume works equally with the main amps volume? Which inputs/outputs do you hook the sub up to? I've never owned a sub before, so I have no experience in the subject. I have a NAD C-320 BEE integrated amp and PSB Image 2B speakers. Any help would be greatly appreciated.</font>

Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
<font color='#000000'>If you're demoing at Circuit City and such, the subs sound like crap because 1) they're poorly set up, and 2) many are indeed crap.

To maximize your chance of good musicality and to minimize the hassle, go with an integrated sub/bookshelf system from the same manufacturer. Good brands like PSB, Axiom, Paradigm, and that Japanese outfit that also makes motorcycles are worth investigating for a start. And they'll come with instructions!

Heck, since you already have PSBs (assuming you like them) why not just get a PSB sub? They make four models. Check their Website.

Sucessfully integrating an aftermarket sub, even excellent ones like Velodynes, Carvers, and Hsus takes some futzing and knowledge.

Don't know your particular amp so I can't speak to hookup. If it has preamp only output jacks in additon to the speaker hookups then you're probably OK.

And just to confuse you: do you *really* need a sub in your small room? Or would it be overkill? Good full range speakers might do the trick. All the mfrs. above and many more make compact floor standing full ranges with good bass extension that would do nicely without overwhelming the room. I was looking at some used PSB Image 4T's for my 10' x 14' den before the dipole/DIY bug bit me.</font>

A. Vivaldi

A. Vivaldi

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
Rip Van Woofer : If you're demoing at Circuit City and such, the subs sound like crap because 1) they're poorly set up, and 2) many are indeed crap.

Heck, since you already have PSBs (assuming you like them) why not just get a PSB sub? They make four models. Check their Website.

Don't know your particular amp so I can't speak to hookup. If it has preamp only output jacks in additon to the speaker hookups then you're probably OK.

And just to confuse you: do you *really* need a sub in your small room? Or would it be overkill? Good full range speakers might do the trick. All the mfrs. above and many more make compact floor standing full ranges with good bass extension that would do nicely without overwhelming the room. I was looking at some used PSB Image 4T's for my 10' x 14' den before the dipole/DIY bug bit me.
Hi Rip, Yes, those are the places where I've heard most subs and I totally agree with you, but I wasn't really impressed with the subs I've heard at some hi-fi stores ethier. Yes, I like my psb Images but the reason why I don't want to get their matching sub is because it's too large for my needs. I want something compact I can stash behind my large oak wood cd cubes, which also serve as my speaker stands, the other reason why I don't have floor standers. I don't have the room for both my cd cubes and floor standers, without compromising sound quality.  The other reason why I don't think I want the psb sub is because my audio dealer, whom I trust, said that their subs were made to please both the audio and HT people, and although I love movies I want a sub solely for music. (Doesn't anybody think that a sub built for music would do ok for movies also?) My NAD amp does have pre-out/main-in inputs but I've never used anything like that before for anything. Do I need a sub? I'm not sure. I listen to a lot of classical music and I feel I could broaden the sound stage if I get one. My Image 2bs go down to 44hz, and some organ pipes can go as low as 20 hz. I feel I might be missing out. What do you think of the sub/satellite vs floor standers set up?  I've read many articles that say the best postion for your midrange and tweeters with floor standers also just happens to be the worst position for bass, and with a sub/sat system you have the freedom to place the bass in the best postion, near the wall in a corner. I also like the idea of being able to store and switch out between different bookshelfs/mini-monitors with ease while keeping the same sub if I decide to build other systems, something that's not practical, and much more costly when dealing with floor standers. I used to have nice big floor standers (Infinity SM-155s) with 15&quot; woofers that sounded great but didn't put out nowhere near the bass that I felt they should have, although my room was large back then. The bass my little psbs put out in my current room seem to be superior to those big floor standers I used to have. My Audio Selection isolation cones on the bottoms of the speakers really made a huge difference in the bass by the way, for anyone who wants to set their bookshelfs on something other then speaker stands, I'd highly recommend them. Thanks for your input and your advice. I'll be checking out your website.</font>

Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
<font color='#000000'>PSB actually has a pretty good article about subs on their site that should answer a lot of your questions, including the &quot;movie vs. music&quot; issue:

PSB Subwoofer Article

It might also clarify the question, do you need a sub?

Like you I listen to a lot of classical. I'm a big Mahler fan and I don't feel the need for a sub with my current speakers. Do I want one sometimes? Sure! But there are other things I'd do first: active crossovers and biamping, for instance, for better sound across the frequency spectrum, including tighter, better-controlled bass (not necessarily deeper). Not that you would or should do the same...but it's just a &quot;for instance&quot; of other possibilities that can offer real improvements.

I'll be back later with more ramblings...I need to do some actual work from time to time!</font>

A. Vivaldi

A. Vivaldi

Audioholic
<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
Rip Van Woofer : <font color='#000000'>Like you I listen to a lot of classical. I'm a big Mahler fan and I don't feel the need for a sub with my current speakers. Do I want one sometimes? Sure! But there are other things I'd do first: active crossovers and biamping, for instance, for better sound across the frequency spectrum, including tighter, better-controlled bass (not necessarily deeper). Not that you would or should do the same...but it's just a &quot;for instance&quot; of other possibilities that can offer real improvements.</font>
<font color='#000000'>No wonder you don't want a sub if you listen to Mahler. He's pretty intense! lol. Active crossovers? Bi-amping? You're talking to someone who really doesn't know a lot about the complex stuff involving audio. Lately I've been trying to simplify my audio life, and get back to actually collecting and listening to recordings. I've dumped big powerful separate components and floor standers for low watt, high quality integrated amps and smaller speakers, but I guess if I want to start messing around with subs, then I don't really want to simplify my life after all! I can't leave well enough alone. That audiophile bug is biting again! Hmm... the next component I want is a Monster power center... &nbsp;
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
Rip Van Woofer : <font color='#000000'>Good brands like PSB, Axiom, Paradigm, and that Japanese outfit that also makes motorcycles are worth investigating for a start. And they'll come with instructions!</font>
<font color='#0000FF'>

That Japanese outfit has been making mighty fine musical instruments for big clients as well as famous musicians like their pianos, violins, saxophones and their trademark synths and drums for quite sometimes as a matter of fact, they have been making pianos and violins since the last 100 years, one of the reasons they have such good sense of what is true music and not just engineering.</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis