D

dcc

Enthusiast
I in the market for a new subwoofer, and have found a new Velodyne VRP-1000 for $209.99 plus $27.25 shipping. Is this a good subwooder, and a good deal?

tomd51

tomd51

Audioholic General
Suggestions...

The frequency response (FR) for this particular model is a little lacking considering it's a 10" driver and a decent sized cabinet (35Hz-140Hz). This should be able to get down closer to 30Hz, possibly even a little lower like the upper 20s.

For the price, I would consider the Athena AS-P4000. With a 10" driver, its FR is 23Hz-120Hz, similar amp to the Velo, has very good performance for HT use as well as music for the size and price (I should know, I'm using one in my second HT setup ;)) and can be found for as low as $149 at Audio Advisor and OneCall.

Because I own this particular sub is not the reason I suggest it here, but because I did some fairly extensive research before buying it, gave it a decent trial run and have been impressed w/its performance since, I recommend this sub for those wanting a solid performing HT and music sub that's okay aesthetically (nothing great to look at) and can get it at a very reasonable price.

You can read about my feedback on this sub here. In addition to this, you might want to look at a this thread as well as one I started here that are somewhat related to what you might be looking for... -TD

Last edited:
C

cyberbri

Banned
You may be able to find an Acoustech H100 for about $200 at places that let you make bids. It's a 12" sub, is good to the mid 20Hz range, and has the same 150w/500w amp as the HSU STF-1 (8" sub). I used to own one as well.

I'm not sure if they have them in stock right now or if you would have to wait, but the X-Sub from www.av123.com is supposed to be a great sub as well, for $200.

D

dcc

Enthusiast
Thanks guys,

I appreciate the responses.

tomd51, wish that I could hear both of those subwoofers with the rest of my system. The Velodyne is showing a FR 20Hz higher that the Athena, and the two way speaker system that I'm using may couple better with the midrange. Once again, this is one of those you don't know till you hear it.

OK...no chuckling here please, this is the hodge pod system that I'm living with at the moment.

Samsung HT-SK6 receiver...only component from the TIAB
Two ESS Tempest Lab series 1 for front L and R
Two KLH Model Twenty-Three for rear L and R
I have a Fisher two way of no more description for the center...for now.
I purlioned the four in subwoofer from a 2.1 Creative speaker system for the moment.

Except for the subwoofer being completely out of it's capacity, the rest of the system actually doesn't sound half bad.

tomd51

tomd51

Audioholic General
dcc said:
Thanks guys,

I appreciate the responses.

tomd51, wish that I could hear both of those subwoofers with the rest of my system. The Velodyne is showing a FR 20Hz higher that the Athena, and the two way speaker system that I'm using may couple better with the midrange. Once again, this is one of those you don't know till you hear it.
I understand your concern, dcc. However, most mains (other than sat. cubes) will get down to at the very least 100Hz and running your crossover any higher than this will likely make the sub very localized. Rarely do you want to set your crossover any higher than 80Hz (again, if at all possible) as your mains typically will handle this crossover point or close to it, so I wouldn't place too much emphasis on the sub's capability above 100Hz. Personally, I'd rather have the extra 12Hz of extension than I would the extra 20Hz on the high end of the FR... ;)

Auditioning in-home is the best option, setting the sub in a few locations for best in-room response and giving it a good test drive. OneCall has a pretty good return policy, so while if you weren't satisfied w/the Athena, you'd likely only be out the FedEx/UPS/USPS return shipping of $15-20, which would still bring you in under the $209 base price tag of the Velo, not even including shipping.

I think you owe it to yourself to give it a listen if you can, BestBuy actually carried Athenas at one point, though it doesn't look like they are currently... :( -TD

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
tomd51 said:
The frequency response (FR) for this particular model is a little lacking considering it's a 10" driver and a decent sized cabinet (35Hz-140Hz). This should be able to get down closer to 30Hz, possibly even a little lower like the upper 20s.

For the price, I would consider the Athena AS-P4000. With a 10" driver, its FR is 23Hz-120Hz, similar amp to the Velo, has very good performance for HT use as well as music for the size and price (I should know, I'm using one in my second HT setup ;)) and can be found for as low as $149 at Audio Advisor and OneCall.

Because I own this particular sub is not the reason I suggest it here, but because I did some fairly extensive research before buying it, gave it a decent trial run and have been impressed w/its performance since, I recommend this sub for those wanting a solid performing HT and music sub that's okay aesthetically (nothing great to look at) and can get it at a very reasonable price.

You can read about my feedback on this sub here. In addition to this, you might want to look at a this thread as well as one I started here that are somewhat related to what you might be looking for... -TD
I have the older version of that sub (AS-P400) and its FR was not true. It didn't go much below 28Hz, so don't take the 23Hz as a deal maker.

Without even hearing a H100, I give it a solid recommendation for the 200ish price class.

SheepStar

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis