G

goffja2000

Enthusiast
Hi,

I have recently been upgrading my system from some local used sales and I have a question. My current system is running.

front l/r Miller Kriesel s-125 or audio physic yara (still deciding on these 2)
Center Miller Kriesel s-125c (also have a definitive tech procenter 2000 but I'm thinking I'll sell that one.)
surrounds 2 each MK s-85 and Def Tech Promonitor 1000
subwoofer MK MX-125ii

I saw an add popup for a Vandersteen model 2w subwoofer for 200.

Is this a worthwhile upgrade over the one I just upgraded to? If it is will it work with my Onkyo nr636 receiver? It seemed like it had a different method of connecting. I picked up the MK set this week and was blown away by the difference in the subwoofer vs the cheapie klipsch I was running.

Thanks,

Jason

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
The Onkyo has preamp outputs for 2 powered subwoofers. I would recommend the HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP Sub.

The HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP Sub offers tight bass and the ability to tune the sound to your needs. If offers not only low bass thump but musical upper bass response as well. If you're going to spend funds on a sub why not get something that will take your sound to the next level?

G

goffja2000

Enthusiast
Thanks, A little more than I was looking to spend at this time. I picked up the whole MK setup for 500 and saw the vandersteen for sale and wasn't sure if there was a huge difference quality wise vs the MK.

G

goffja2000

Enthusiast
yikes, sounds too involved for me. I'll stick with my new to me MK sub. Sounds really good and just hooks up to the lfe output on my receiver. Thanks for the info.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Though I do not disagree with VMPS' advice on the VTF3, sub, the VTF2 is also a good sub. It is smaller, too. ;)

What is the size of your room? Please include total open volume of the room, not just your "area." (Unlike speakers, where distance-from is a key factor, Subs will see the whole open room volume. :) If you don't know, or can't math it out, cool, but anything to help us guide you! :) )

Regardless, getting a decent subwoofer is one of the best upgrades you can do for your system. Properly set up, it will not overpower your system. It will add clarity to your highs and lows both. Good quality Bass, clean and distortion free, is a very wonderful thing. I suspect the VTF2 will be a significant step above that MK, and just about anything else under $500.

G

goffja2000

Enthusiast
the room I use is open to the rest of the finished basement area so 1000 sq ft roughly. the theater area is roughly 14' x 22' but has one wall open the the rest of the area

G

goffja2000

Enthusiast
The picture on the listing says Vandersteen Model 2W. I attached a picture of the plate , that's about all I have right now. They said it's been in storage for 5+ years so time for it to go.

Attachments

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The picture on the listing says Vandersteen Model 2W. I attached a picture of the plate , that's about all I have right now. They said it's been in storage for 5+ years so time for it to go.
Thanks. My eyes can't really make out the details of the diagramming they've got there.....but seems to be the 2Wq model since it has the high level inputs/outputs as well as the speakers in the diagramming.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis