Subwoofer "Presence"

R

Rick

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>Is there a correct way to calibrate the subs volume? &nbsp;I mean, is it up to the individual listener to decide how much bass he/she desires? &nbsp;Obviously, if it's too loud, you'll lose stereo imaging, but what is the correct volume? Should it (sub bass)only be noticeable if it's missing? &nbsp;Sometimes, I think I listen with too much sub. &nbsp;How loud do you guys set the sub?</font>

C

Claude D

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Get your hands on a sound pressure meter(Radio Shack sell a decent analog one for fairly cheap),run your test tone on your receiver(or on a calibration disc) through all the channels and balance all your levels including the subwoofer.This will probably give you the most balanced sound but you may find the subwoofer output a little less than you are used too.If this is the case adjust to a level you desire.Just remember less is more.Far to many people have car audio mentality(turn up the bass 'till it distorts,then turn it up some more).I tend to turn my subwoofer output up about 3 db's higher for movies.Hope this helps you out.

Claude</font>

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
Claude D : <font color='#000000'>I tend to turn my subwoofer output up about 3 db's higher for movies.Hope this helps you out.</font>
<font color='#000000'>I tend to do this also. Hopefully you have a receiver that allows you to easily raise and lower the volume of your subwoofer a tad when jumping between movies and music.

As for a formula, there really is none that works with every room and listener. If you like it (and the people around you do too, then you're probably on track...)</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis