Subwoofer or no subwoofer?

H

Herr D

Junior Audioholic
Hi guys,

I've got an Onkyo TX-SR601E 6.1 receiver + 2 TMA Premium 905 main speakers , 1 TMA center (Premium 900C) and 2 TMA surround speakers (Premium 901).

Now here's the deal: the main speakers are 3-way reflex loaded with a frequency range from 31Hz-27.500 HZ +/- 3db. They sound nice and produce thundering bass.

My question: would it still be worth while to buy a subwoofer (http://www.tmahifi.com) or will it be completely pointless? My receiver can be set to a 60Hz crossover frequency so that's cool.

Most of the time I'm more than happy with the bass but during a scene when there's not a lot going on I kinda miss the "fullness" of a soft underlying bass (If you know what I mean)

Thanks a lot for the input.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Herr D said:
Most of the time I'm more than happy with the bass but during a scene when there's not a lot going on I kinda miss the "fullness" of a soft underlying bass (If you know what I mean)
I think you've just answered your own question.

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
What Mark said. For me, a good sub would be really be missed for home theater.

I

InTheIndustry

Senior Audioholic
Get a sub!

This post is meant to speak in generalities....

Without a sub you are missing a ton of excitement in your movies (but that may not matter to you, depending on your tastes)! To me it's the 2nd most important speaker in a home theater (the 1st being the center channel). It's what makes your hands sweat durring an exciting action scene. Digital surround sound is unique from past surround sound formats in that each speaker on a Dolby Digital 5.1/6.1/7.1/ etc. sound track has its own set of specific sounds designated for it throught the movie/album. If you don't have a powered sub with a "line level in" you are missing what the .1 part of the 5.1 on the DVD was truley intended for. That .1 is being played into your receiver but isn't getting the proper attention it could or should be getting by being played through your L/C/R's. It also eleviates the burden on your speakers drivers to hit the lower frequencies and opens them up to play the mids and highs. No matter what the quality or price point of speakers a system may have, a sub (done correctly) is always a posative. Even in a 2 speaker setup. It's like listening to a marching band or rock band without a bass drum. Takes all the "Umph" out of it.

That's my perspective.

H

Herr D

Junior Audioholic
Yeah I was thinking the same as you guys. That TMA sub is a pricey little bugger though so I thought I might take the easy way out and save some money (I'm looking to buy a new home cinema furniture, surround speaker stands and a plasma screen by the end of this year...)

Ok then. Sub is a must. As expected. Wife will kill me. Thanks for the feedback.

P

philh

Full Audioholic
Herr D said:
Ok then. Sub is a must. As expected. Wife will kill me. Thanks for the feedback.
Build it yourself, then the only things that show up are home depot bill, driver bill, and amp bill :)

IMO sub is one of the most important speakers to have for true listening pleasure. I'd take the sub over the center and maybe even over the surround speakers.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
A subwoofer is definetly worth it. You don't know what you're missing until you hear it!

If you have the means to do so, building your own is definetly the best value. If not, I would suggest an SVS sub. They are among the best values in commercially available subwoofers.

P

psbfreak

Audiophyte
if you have the cash for it, get a sub - you wont regret it, thats for sure! :cool:

T

triumph

Audiophyte
Diddo to all said a sub is a must. Mine is in for repair and I miss it terribly.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Feel the bass

If you get a sub, it would have to be a good one with plenty of power in the 20 Hz range since you are already getting down to the 30's with your mains.
One alternative would be to add buttkickers to your new HT furniture. It would provide bass you can "feel" without requiring a huge sub.

majorloser

majorloser

You will not be happy and you will always feel something is missing when watching movies without a subwoofer. If you mostly listen to music and the surround theater is just an added bonus, you probably won't need a subwofer since a good set of 3-way towers will be fine. More than likely your mains don't quite make it to 31hz.

HSU makes a fine powered subwoofer for the money.

http://www.hsuresearch.com/

H

Herr D

Junior Audioholic
Well it sure feels like 31hz to me, sometimes I really can't believe there's no sub attached.

JcPanny: I'm probably going to stick with TMA and their Twister 8000 goes down to 16Hz, so that should be ok.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

Cheers,

Herr D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis