SubWoofer M&K V125 Hum - no input

F

fredkres

Audiophyte
My eleven year old Miller & Kreisel V-125 subwoofer stopped working and developed a hum. It hums, loudly, with no input connection even when plugged into different power outlets via a filter. When input connected to AVreceiver subwoofer-out port, the hum reduces but still very loud; AV source is not audible at all. Sub settings have minimal effect.

I have read other threads on this problem (e.g., Jack Hammer 4/2007 and Kees77 1/2008) and am convinced it's an internal component failure.

Is this fixable or should I let it go to the great subwoofer place beyond?

If fixable, can anyone suggest the type component I can check/replace?

Thanks
Fred

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
My eleven year old Miller & Kreisel V-125 subwoofer stopped working and developed a hum. It hums, loudly, with no input connection even when plugged into different power outlets via a filter. When input connected to AVreceiver subwoofer-out port, the hum reduces but still very loud; AV source is not audible at all. Sub settings have minimal effect.

I have read other threads on this problem (e.g., Jack Hammer 4/2007 and Kees77 1/2008) and am convinced it's an internal component failure.

Thanks
Fred
Yes, it does sound like a ground connection has lifted, or a cap.
Yes, it should be fixable but is the cost worth it? How was this sub for you in the first place? If you were thinking about more bass, may be the time to upgrade?
Not sure if M&K is still in business but you can check, call them and see what they say about possible cause and estimated cost.

C

cbraver

Audioholic Chief
M&K's website used to be mksound.com ... but now that has said "Under Construction" for a long time.

When I google M&K, the second hit is mksoundsystem.com ... which looks pretty sketch.... some company from Denmark owns it?

I e-mailed them and asked if Barry was around anymore, who was the support guy (very nice and super knowledgable too!) and also the webmaster of the old site and refurbished store, but I didn't get a response.

I wouldn't bother trying to deal with them, it seems like it is a whole new crew running the show.

If you like M&K, you should probably look into Snell, Dynaudio or Bag End for your subwoofer needs.

http://www.snellacoustics.com/
http://www.dynaudio.com/
http://www.bagend.com/

I miss M&K. :(:(:(

F

fredkres

Audiophyte
Thanks to both of you for response. Yes I did like the M&K (great endtabble for sofa). It looks like M&K are a different place now.

Having an engineering backround in electronics, I cant resist opening the case and checking out the electronics which I will do as work permits. What have I got to lose if the sub goes in the garbage anyway. It's a challange!

Thanks again and for the replacement suggestions CBRAVER

Fred

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Thanks to both of you for response. Yes I did like the M&K (great endtabble for sofa). It looks like M&K are a different place now.

Having an engineering backround in electronics, I cant resist opening the case and checking out the electronics which I will do as work permits. What have I got to lose if the sub goes in the garbage anyway. It's a challange!

Thanks again and for the replacement suggestions CBRAVER

Fred
One other suggestion if you like that sub. If you don't see the problem when you open the amp, why not just use another amp with it? You can cover the old amp opening, run speaker wires to that cover and have another amp sitting by the sub, run the RCA to it, speaker wires directly to the sub, and you are in business. After all, you have nothing to loose and may recover your sub by an external amp.:D

Or, you can also buy an amp for sub use, like one from SVS perhaps?

Last edited:
C

cbraver

Audioholic Chief
One other suggestion if you like that sub. If you don't see the problem when you open the amp, why not just use another amp with it? You can cover the old amp opening, run speaker wires to that cover and have another amp sitting by the sub, run the RCA to it, speaker wires directly to the sub, and you are in business. After all, you have nothing to loose and may recover your sub by an external amp.:D

Or, you can also buy an amp for sub use, like one from SVS perhaps?
I think the plate amp idea is worth a shot. Find one with about the same power output.

I have Velodyne 18" I need to do that with.

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

Audioholic Field Marshall
M&K declared bankruptcy early last year. A foreign company bought the rights to the name and a few patents, then hired one or two of the old employees to run it. I'm not sure of the quality or rep of the new company. I believe they operate mostly in Europe and Asia now.

One of the old techs, Chris, I think, used to frequent the M&K section at AVS Forums. Not sure if he's still there, you might try posting. I remember seeing some good info on how to diagnose, fix or find parts for some of the older speakers. IIRC, the v75 is an older, still nice, model from 15-20 years ago. It may be more cost/performance efficient to just replace the sub.

Jack

F

fredkres

Audiophyte
Thanks to all for your advice.

I have not had an opportunity to check the sub. But when I do I will advise.

If it's not fixable will replace with new.

Thanks again.

Fred

P

pvpeacock

Audiophyte
Wow, what a timely post. My M&K VX7 MKII just started to act up after years of flawless service in my home theatre set up. Sorry to hear about M&K. I've got 6 pairs of their speakers for my Sonos music system and one M&K surround sound set up. They always had great technical support and backed their products up. Guess my business did not keep them solvent. It's been some time since I last bought a subwoofer. Can anyone give me any suggestions for a good compact version which won't break the bank. Thanks.:)

B

bsmith11

Audiophyte
Wow, what a timely post. My M&K VX7 MKII just started to act up after years of flawless service in my home theatre set up. Sorry to hear about M&K. I've got 6 pairs of their speakers for my Sonos music system and one M&K surround sound set up. They always had great technical support and backed their products up. Guess my business did not keep them solvent. It's been some time since I last bought a subwoofer. Can anyone give me any suggestions for a good compact version which won't break the bank. Thanks.:)
I have buzz/hum from my M&K V125. Pulled the amp from the back and noted the 2 large capacitor which are near the power cord and cancel line interference have failed- one leaked and the other has bulged at the top - a common sign of capacitor failure. I ordered replacements from DigiKey for < $6 each.

You can also swap out the entire amp - apexjr.com is selling the latest M&K 250 watt THX amp for about $120. They apparently bought out M&K components when the company went under.With a saber saw, you can enlarge the amp cutout in your sub if necessary and use this amp with superb results - according the Ken Kreisel founder of M&K..

B

bsmith11

Audiophyte

Thanks
Fred
I had same issue buzz/hum from my M&K V125. Pulled the amp from the back and noted the 2 large capacitor which are near the power cord and cancel line interference have failed- one leaked and the other has bulged at the top - a common sign of capacitor failure. I ordered replacements from DigiKey for < $6 each.

You can also swap out the entire amp - apexjr.com is selling the latest M&K 250 watt THX amp for about $120. They apparently bought out M&K components when the company went under.With a saber saw, you can enlarge the amp cutout in your sub if necessary and use this amp with superb results - according the Ken Kreisel founder of M&K, who replied to an email I sent him.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I have buzz/hum from my M&K V125. Pulled the amp from the back and noted the 2 large capacitor which are near the power cord and cancel line interference have failed- one leaked and the other has bulged at the top - a common sign of capacitor failure. I ordered replacements from DigiKey for < $6 each.

You can also swap out the entire amp - apexjr.com is selling the latest M&K 250 watt THX amp for about $120. They apparently bought out M&K components when the company went under.With a saber saw, you can enlarge the amp cutout in your sub if necessary and use this amp with superb results - according the Ken Kreisel founder of M&K..
This topic is months old hehe:D

B

bsmith11

Audiophyte

OK, the capacitors, part 565-2677-ND, came from from Digi-Key in less than a week. Took me less than 30 mininutes to disassemble, install new capacitors and reassemble. Then , the moment of TRUTH - I plugged it in. The buzz/ hum is gone! The sub sounds like new again! Total cost 2 capacitors for $12+ shipping, $12 for a Radio Shack soldering kit. I liked the look of the 250 watt amp at apexjr but it is kind of cool to fix something yourself so cheaply - and I have always been satisfied with the sub with its original amp.

B

bsmith11

Audiophyte
This topic is months old hehe:D
Granted topic is old, but perhaps someone like me, who experiences the issue and does a web search, will now find the thread more helpful - two repair options clearly identified.

D

drufgolf

Audiophyte
me too

Granted topic is old, but perhaps someone like me, who experiences the issue and does a web search, will now find the thread more helpful - two repair options clearly identified.
Like me.

My MK V125 Is humming as well. Iff I touch, adjust or wiggle the volume knob the hum woresens, lessens and even goes away. ?

Can the volume control pot if bad cause this

G

Gtmcmillanjr

Enthusiast
I'm having a problem with my M&K V 125 it's humming and banging even when it's not plugged into anything but the wall I've opened it up the capacitors look fine anybody know what direction I should go in I really need to get this fixed as soon as possible I can send pictures if anybody can help me I really appreciate the help

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
I'm having a problem with my M&K V 125 it's humming and banging even when it's not plugged into anything but the wall I've opened it up the capacitors look fine anybody know what direction I should go in I really need to get this fixed as soon as possible I can send pictures if anybody can help me I really appreciate the help

It is better to make your own topic for the problem than post in years old topic.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

The switching power supplies in subs are just horrible to work on. Unless you are a very experienced electronics tech with a lot of test equipment, then that sub needs to go to the recycling center.

You need a new sub.

R

Roger Darnell Jr

Audiophyte
OK, the capacitors, part 565-2677-ND, came from from Digi-Key in less than a week. Took me less than 30 mininutes to disassemble, install new capacitors and reassemble. Then , the moment of TRUTH - I plugged it in. The buzz/ hum is gone! The sub sounds like new again! Total cost 2 capacitors for $12+ shipping, $12 for a Radio Shack soldering kit. I liked the look of the 250 watt amp at apexjr but it is kind of cool to fix something yourself so cheaply - and I have always been satisfied with the sub with its original amp.
Thank you for all your information. I know this is very old topic but just thought it would be nice for you to know. I have enough background with electronics to fix the one swelled cap I found on my M&K-125 MARK II amp motherboard. I have a pic but says to large to upload to server.. thanks again

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis