subwoofer ideas for a desktop

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Seems like with a lot of JBL sales, it's all about timing.
For sure. I’m waiting on the right timing to crack my wallet for the HDI series. I really like the 5 series you have but they seem compelling. My wife is less compelled. Lol.

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan

Looks like a pretty easy connection. Probably way too much for the computer though. I'm happy with it though.
I have the connections going to the back of the desktop. I'm not getting any sound. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I have the connections going to the back of the desktop. I'm not getting any sound. Is there something I'm doing wrong?
Hopefully it's a signal from the computer rather than sending one to an input on the computer? Not sure what connections you have on your computer in any case. Check your pc's settings for audio output to make sure its outputting on those connections?

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
Hopefully it's a signal from the computer rather than sending one to an input on the computer? Not sure what connections you have on your computer in any case. Check your pc's settings for audio output to make sure its outputting on those connections?
Its a signal from the computer. When I plug it in it asks for inline or surround sides. All I can hear is some humming.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Its a signal from the computer. When I plug it in it asks for inline or surround sides. All I can hear is some humming.
What kind of connection is it? The avr asks for inline or surround sides how/where exactly? Did you check audio output settings in your computer?

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
What kind of connection is it? The avr asks for inline or surround sides how/where exactly? Did you check audio output settings in your computer?
3.5mm jack on the back of the computer with two RCA's to the sub. Inline/surround asks whenever I plug it into the computer. Output device is "speaker/headphone." Maybe I'm playing the wrong type of music.

Think I've figured it out. There's one jack for microphone, one for the speakers, and the third which I thought was for subs doesn't work. I tried switching em and the speakers didn't work but could hear the sub just fine. What kind of connection would I need to run the speakers and sub together?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The grouping of three 3.5 mm audio outputs I've run into were L/R, C and surrounds plus the lfe channel....mic was usually separate but there's lots of different computers out there. I'd be a bit surprised if you had a sub output but not the other 5 channels. You sure what these connections are? Are they labeled or discussed in your manual?

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
Yes the left is mic, the center (green) and right (blue) are identical symbols. The speakers are connected to the center. Neither worked when I connected them on the right.

That might explain it. Blue is line in, green is line out.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Assuming you may be similar to me, I would split that 3.5 jack to L/R. If you have an output from the monitors, you could go from there to the sub. Otherwise you would need to split that 3.5 4-ways, with L/R to the speakers, then L/R to the Sub.
This is one of the reasons why I didn't go this route for my computer. Especially since it wasn't for any critical listening.
If you happen to have a mini-toslink output, you may be able to find a splitting adapter that will do the work for you to some extent:
look what one minute on google and amazon found:
:)
Mini-toslink out to toslink in, then Y each of the outputs for Monitors and Sub.

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan

Looks sorta like this. The symbols are the same on the two so I was confused.

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis