Subwoofer Hookup Question

J

Jaybeez

Junior Audioholic
I just picked up a pristine Rotel RX-1050 receiver to replace my Yamaha AS-501 which to me sounded a bit brittle.

The Rotel doesn't have a dedicated Subwoofer out (which the Yammie did). Using the set up for 2 channel listening in a garage office / recording studio / practice room.

Trying to wire up a Polk PSW 404. The Polk manual made it seem as if I could just hook up via the pre-outs on the Rotel, which worked to give me sound from the Sub, but I got no sound from the speakers.

Can I just hook up the sub via speaker cable and treat it as speaker "B"?

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Um, due to the lack of connectivity on the Rotel, this is a downgrade. You would connect the speaker +/- to your sub, and then out to your speakers. And with that sub, there's no telling how much it will compromise your speakers in the process.

If you are using Polk speakers all around, that's where you need to upgrade!

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
The Polk has speaker level inputs and outputs, correct? If so, you could route your signals for your main speakers through the Polk and run it that way. I didn't download the manual because I'm on a phone, but the manual should tell you if the Polk crossover would filter the low frequencies out of the signals passed on to your speakers.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Can I just hook up the sub via speaker cable and treat it as speaker "B"?
Yes you can do that by wiring the sub in parallel with your main speakers, but make sure you have the polarity right otherwise you will get a short circuit. Or you can do it safely by wiring the speaker outputs to the sub's speaker inputs and then from the sub's output back to the main speakers. In that case, pay attention to TheWarrior's post #2, but I think if you keep the 80 Hz filter off and the wires short, there should be no degradation.

J

Jaybeez

Junior Audioholic
Um, due to the lack of connectivity on the Rotel, this is a downgrade. You would connect the speaker +/- to your sub, and then out to your speakers. And with that sub, there's no telling how much it will compromise your speakers in the process.

If you are using Polk speakers all around, that's where you need to upgrade!
I realize this, and the speakers are the next upgrade. Trying to keep it simple and cheap, but thinking it's a lost cause. Bought the receiver after listening through Revel Gems, and now realize how inadequate my massive 80's-era Polks are.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
I realize this, and the speakers are the next upgrade. Trying to keep it simple and cheap, but thinking it's a lost cause. Bought the receiver after listening through Revel Gems, and now realize how inadequate my massive 80's-era Polks are.

We're here to help! If you're unsure of something, ask before you buy!

J

Jaybeez

Junior Audioholic
Thanks for all the feedback. Will probably just skip the Sub for now, as I really like the Rotel's sound vs. the Yamaha.

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
Much appreciated. As for speaker upgrades, I'm strongly leaning toward Ascends. Any thoughts on these?
+1 on Ascends (particularly Sierra-1s or 2s).

In my 2-channel set up I run Sierra-2s with a SVS SB12-NSD. This sub has flexible connection options, since it has line-level inputs with either HPF (80Hz) or full-signal line-level outputs, depending on what you need.

In my HT, I run Sierra-1s with a SVS PB10-NSD and am very pleased with these as well.

Cheers,
XEagleDriver

J

Jaybeez

Junior Audioholic
Thanks Gents. Being in So Cal, I'll have a chance to drop by San Clemente and hear for myself. Am leaning toward Sierras, but open to the whole range.

Best to let my ears make the decision!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis