subwoofer driving me crazy. it's bulky and not powerful.

Y

yellow

I spent around $480.00 for a Jamo Dual 8" 400watts powered subwoofer, it's nothing but rattle and not a good base. I have to turn it down to reduce rattle during movies. i think i got ripped off. The only reason i bought this is because it matched the furniture (cherry). I had a 10" pioneer (black) that sounded powerful and shaked the windows. My question now is , subs are bulky and make the room ugly. What is my option for in ceiling subwoofer?

1) should i buy 2 JBL 19CST subwoofer 8" round in ceiling subwoofer and get an amplifier to drive them? would this give me good base?

2) should i buy 2 12" Infiniti 250watts powered subwoofer and put them in the attique (i have access to the attique) and cut a circle in the drywall and put a grill on it. and mount the powered subwoofers between studs up there. This way no need for power amplifier.

Am I heading in the right direction? Which option would give me good bass?

thanks for reading into this. it's just driving me crazy figuring out what to do and what is the right thing to do.

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
Also audition Yamaha YST-SW 800/1500, Velodyne, Def Tech and Paradigm sub along with REL if you can.

Last edited:
mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
yellow said:
I spent around $480.00 for a Jamo Dual 8" 400watts powered subwoofer, it's nothing but rattle and not a good base. I have to turn it down to reduce rattle during movies. i think i got ripped off. The only reason i bought this is because it matched the furniture (cherry). I had a 10" pioneer (black) that sounded powerful and shaked the windows. My question now is , subs are bulky and make the room ugly. What is my option for in ceiling subwoofer?

1) should i buy 2 JBL 19CST subwoofer 8" round in ceiling subwoofer and get an amplifier to drive them? would this give me good base?

2) should i buy 2 12" Infiniti 250watts powered subwoofer and put them in the attique (i have access to the attique) and cut a circle in the drywall and put a grill on it. and mount the powered subwoofers between studs up there. This way no need for power amplifier.

Am I heading in the right direction? Which option would give me good bass?

thanks for reading into this. it's just driving me crazy figuring out what to do and what is the right thing to do.
I bet it is driving you crazy :eek:

Did you buy it local? Did you listen to those subs?
Buying to match other furniture without knowing more about the sub in this case, is not a good move, but you know that now :eek:

Subs are bulky, no getting around it, especially if you want good, deep sound.
Attick install is possible but not easy, if you have skills and space. It may shake your house through the frames. You would have to do an infinite baffle install.

If this is not an option, you need to find one that sounds best to you and maybe you can get a finis you need? Or, custom install veneer to match furnishings?
All depends how much you want it to happen.

Y

yellowbmr

i have the space and i am a good handy man.
can you please tell me what baffle install is?
i really appreciate it.

thanks.

mtrycrafts said:
I bet it is driving you crazy :eek:

Did you buy it local? Did you listen to those subs?
Buying to match other furniture without knowing more about the sub in this case, is not a good move, but you know that now :eek:

Subs are bulky, no getting around it, especially if you want good, deep sound.
Attick install is possible but not easy, if you have skills and space. It may shake your house through the frames. You would have to do an infinite baffle install.

If this is not an option, you need to find one that sounds best to you and maybe you can get a finis you need? Or, custom install veneer to match furnishings?
All depends how much you want it to happen.

U

Unregistered

Do you know what is causing the rattle? Is it in the sub or in your room?

cam

cam

Audioholic
If it is your sub that is causing your room to rattle then any sub is going to do this. If the sub itself is rattling then maybe the woofer or the grill is loose or maybe the woofer itself is vibrating against the grill causing it to rattle. Rattle or no rattle, if this sub is going because of its size then take a look at the velodyne spl10 and spl12 or the paradigm siesmic 10 and 12. Very small with huge output. But your room may just rattle more then ever now.

Y

yellowbmr

it's not the room that rattles, i turn the sub on its side

and turn on the volume on the movie playing, then look at the 2 8" woofers going in and out (creating bass), but seems like the woofer cones are creating rattles, there is no grill on this sub.

Question1) if space is issue, would i get the same bass if i put in ceiling woofers in drywall like JBL's?
http://www.djmart.com/co19insu.html

if i put 2 of those in ceiling and run it with amp would it sound as good?

Question2) right now the sub is in the front next to TV, would I get the same Bass effect if i put it 15 feet behind me? Someone said bass travels, would it matter if i am 5 feet from it, or 10 feet from it?

S

sheep

found the sub you have

after doing research, i found te sub you have, and it seems to be a good subwoofer.

before getting crazy about how to replace it, try to fix the problem. it could be as simple as closing a door all the way or adjusting a picture.

another thing that would help is if you told us the size and shape of your room.
jamo's website has a calculator to find out where to place the subwoofer.
so before you by those horrid in ceilling subwoofers, try using this placement guide.

sheep

URL
http://www.jamo.com/consumer/placementguide/

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

yellowbmr said:
and turn on the volume on the movie playing, then look at the 2 8" woofers going in and out (creating bass), but seems like the woofer cones are creating rattles, there is no grill on this sub.

Question1) if space is issue, would i get the same bass if i put in ceiling woofers in drywall like JBL's?
http://www.djmart.com/co19insu.html

if i put 2 of those in ceiling and run it with amp would it sound as good?

Question2) right now the sub is in the front next to TV, would I get the same Bass effect if i put it 15 feet behind me? Someone said bass travels, would it matter if i am 5 feet from it, or 10 feet from it?
These in ceiling subs are not what I meant in my above post. An infinite baffle sub is one where the enclosure would appear to be an infinite volume behind the speaker, such as an attic space, or a basement space. But, you need a driver for that instal, not those JBLs. A rather involved instal. If you are not in a hurry and want to figure out your current sub first, you can read:

Tom Nousaine, "The Subwoofer that Shook the World," Sound & Vision, Jun 1999, page 105- 110. You can do a modifed approach of his? :)

annunaki

annunaki

That JBL sub appears to be horrid in terms of frequency response. Is your sub in the same position as the one it replaced?

Tom's subwoofer set up was incredible. What was it 8 15" woofers? 16hz-80hz within 1db or so at 128db??!! :eek:

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

annunaki said:
That JBL sub appears to be horrid in terms of frequency response. Is your sub in the same position as the one it replaced?

Tom's subwoofer set up was incredible. What was it 8 15" woofers? 16hz-80hz within 1db or so at 128db??!! :eek:

Yes, 8-15" and response down to 10Hz at some awful level :D

Y

yellowbmr

my Sub is D4SUB by Jamo.

Yesterday i let the receiver do the auto configure, and guess what, no more bass. for 3 hours i was going crazy, i hooked up my ipod to the subwoofer and there was lots of boom. i was going and modifying the config of receiver, speakers large/small, sub=Yes, and finally (3 hours later) i had to go to ADvanced, go to Bass Peak Level, and bring it down to -20 and i started to hear the test tone of bass.

it sounds better now after i made some modifications.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis