JOHN FICKEL

JOHN FICKEL

Senior Audioholic
I have two subs, two 15inch klipsch. My question is how do I set-up proper distance for each sub? Is it as simple as just using a tape measure ? my Yamaha RX-Z9 says the sub in the front is 19.2 feet away and the one in the back 10feet. The back sub is pretty accurate, However the front sub is probably only 13 feet away and the auto set-up said it's almost 20 feet away. why would it set it so far. Please help

T

tcarcio

Audioholic General
Sometimes the EQ in receivers doesn't get it exactly right. I would just go by how it sounds. If it sounds good then the EQ set it to an average, from what I understand about EQ in receivers. You can experiment though. Just use your tape measure and set it to that distance and see if it sounds better.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Auto eq is prone to making errors on the sub channel. Either way, the largest distance measurement is important since all other speakers will be delayed to match it. If you feel the bass is not tightly centered in the front state, you might consider playing with this setting. If not, leave it be.

From here, a post by Mark Seaton for your reading pleasure,

Hi guys, I've posted on this many times in the past, but most will have a hard time grasping the situation until you start looking at Energy Time Curves and real measurements beyond the Radio Shack meter. Your receiver is likely correct relative to where you located the mic. What many forget is that any low pass filter results in what is known as group delay which is frequency dependent. What this means in the real world is that if we place a common tweeter and a subwoofer at the same distance from a mic and send them the same test signal, the sound from the subwoofer will arrive at the mic later than from the tweeter. If we have measurement equipment capable, we can also see that group delay is rarely constant, and below some high frequency, generally increases with lowering frequency. When we design a loudspeaker or optomize a loudspeaker system, we would prefer that in the range where two drivers cross over(and are both playing), the sound arrive at nearly the same time from both drivers. The fact that this "fixed delay" changes with frequency makes this more difficult, but we generally find that as we lower the crossover frequencies, the delays grow longer. We find that we would like to delay the higher frequency sections to better match with the lower frequency sections. Before I go further, let me clarify that this is different than how the distance settings are used for the 5 or 7 channels in a home theater. For the main speakers we are primarily looking to equate arrival times in the interest of not skewing the image. Curiously, we find a distance setting for the subwoofer as well... This obviously is not to aid in directional confusion, as there is commonly only 1 subwoofer, and directional ques are dominated by higher frequencies. This delay/distance setting can only be meant to adjust the relative arrival of the subwoofer to that of the main speakers. In my own experience I have found measuring and setting this properly to have significant sonic benefits. In reality, this is somewhat like a different form of a phase control, yet the phase control on your subwoofer delays the signal further, where setting the distance longer than your mains in the processor will actually delay your mains speakers to "wait" for your subwoofer to catch up. Now I'm not saying your system can't sound great without carefully measuring and adjusting this parameter. There are many compounding factors which could make the real distance for the subwoofer an appropriate setting. That said, if you want to play with this as a sort of phase control and can't measure energy vs. time, you have a good bet by counting on the subwoofer being later than the mains, so start investigating by making the virtual distance of the subwoofer longer, not shorter. Enough for one post... Cheers,

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I have two subs, two 15inch klipsch. My question is how do I set-up proper distance for each sub? Is it as simple as just using a tape measure ? my Yamaha RX-Z9 says the sub in the front is 19.2 feet away and the one in the back 10feet. The back sub is pretty accurate, However the front sub is probably only 13 feet away and the auto set-up said it's almost 20 feet away. why would it set it so far. Please help
FWIW, Audyssey puts my subs about 2 feet farther away than they actually are.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
I think they should make it mandatory on all AVR that the distance measurement can be manually programmed into channel distance settings according to what the tape measure says. Or make a don't have digital tape measures and "make it so" that the distance measured is then sent to AVR of each channel being measured to the primary seating.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I think they should make it mandatory on all AVR that the distance measurement can be manually programmed into channel distance settings according to what the tape measure says.
Every AVR I've ever had allowed this, but my automated results have always been in accord with what the Audyssey Gurus explain about how it should work.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
What would be best is when the signal is being sent to sub or subs so when you adjust the distance/delay you can see the chance happening on RTA 1/12th octave or more greater. When you make a change on the AVR settings your not going to be sure or certain if its made a good, the same or worse improvement.

Need to see it all happen in real time so you don't waste your time.

Ideally when you look at all this directly from the processor or amp returns it looks great, until it ends up in the room and needs lots of fiddling about with to get it spot it on.

ARES24

ARES24

Full Audioholic
TL : DR Test it! In all the ways! Pick what you like!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis