subwoofer connection

S

sevencycles

Audiophyte
New to HT and am not sure what cable to use for the subwoofer connection
I have a Yamaha RX-V2500 which has a single RCA type connection pre out for a amplified subwoofer. The sub has three line in connections, one left, one right and an "LFE" ? all are RCA type connections. Do I use a single RCA cable to the LFE connection or a single from the receiver to a split (Y) to the left and right connections? Sorry for the stupid question
Thanks in advance

C

Cuteman

Audioholic Intern
LFE is the only on you really need.

You can pick up a single cable (probably brown) to take that LFE port to your pre-amp sub output on your receiver.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
sevencycles said:
New to HT and am not sure what cable to use for the subwoofer connection
I have a Yamaha RX-V2500 which has a single RCA type connection pre out for a amplified subwoofer. The sub has three line in connections, one left, one right and an "LFE" ? all are RCA type connections. Do I use a single RCA cable to the LFE connection or a single from the receiver to a split (Y) to the left and right connections? Sorry for the stupid question
Thanks in advance

A sub cable is a no brainer. Any cable with an RCA plug will do. Don't spend much for it, no need.

J

jad

Enthusiast
mtrycrafts said:
A sub cable is a no brainer. Any cable with an RCA plug will do. Don't spend much for it, no need.
The Infinity Sub I'm looking at buying has the following outputs:
5-way post, Gold Plated Stereo RCA Line Level Inputs

I'm really new to wiring individual components. Can anyone tell me the difference between the two types of outputs? Also when I was at the retailer checking the sub out, the sales person (who I assume may be wrong) told me I'd have to buy some sort of special speaker wire that was made for subs? I guess I assumed I could just connect it the same way that was taught on one of the audioholics articles (using a wire stripper and bannana plugs)

Can anyone shed any light on this for me? Thanks :)

Duffinator

Duffinator

Audioholic Field Marshall
jad said:
The Infinity Sub I'm looking at buying has the following outputs:
5-way post, Gold Plated Stereo RCA Line Level Inputs

I'm really new to wiring individual components. Can anyone tell me the difference between the two types of outputs? Also when I was at the retailer checking the sub out, the sales person (who I assume may be wrong) told me I'd have to buy some sort of special speaker wire that was made for subs? I guess I assumed I could just connect it the same way that was taught on one of the audioholics articles (using a wire stripper and bannana plugs)

Can anyone shed any light on this for me? Thanks :)
Does your receiver have a sub out? If so it's most likely one RCA connection. The sales guy probably meant using a coax cable. You can use any single coax cable (or any cable for that matter) with RCA connections on both ends. I guessing your sub has two RCA inputs since you used plural for inputs. You can either connect the cable to one of them or get a Y cable from Radio Shack or a Monster Cable one from your favorite audio store and have the inputs go into both RCA connections on the back of the sub.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
You're being too chariatable, Duff

Duffinator said:
The sales guy probably meant using a coax cable.
Odds are he was trying to sell the poor guy a bona-fide, official cable that says "made for Subwoofers" on the box which, due to the extensive engineering needed to design, obviously costs a LOT more than a standard run of the mill co-axial cable with plain old RCA connectors on the ends.

Your other advice was right on. :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis